Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I took delivery I've had an occasional rattle/noise in the passenger rear of my FJ that sounds like a piece of metal vibrating (hold a thin metal bracket by one end and "pluck" it - that's what it sounds like.)

I finally was able to duplicate the sound by pounding up on the trim right above the window in the rear on the passenger side; it's actually a little easier to hear the "twang" on the outside of the vehicle!

Now if I press on the headliner slightly just ahead of the coat hook on that side, whatever it is does not vibrate.

Before I have my dealer rip my new FJ apart, any idea what's in there that could make that noise? Rear air bag? Other bracket of some type?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the exact same problem , i think it's from the back door locking mekanism i have 285 s with custom rims real heavier than the stocks so i think it's caused by that ,, my friend has the same sound found out it's from the back seat two steel hinges touching sooo hope to find a fi soon :lol:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine sounds like it's definitely coming from behind the headliner above that passenger rear window. :(

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Check your roof rack bolts. Wonder if the bracket inside has fallen down onto the headliner.

·
Registered
477 Posts
We don't have that symptom, maybe what fjamming said, but I'd wait a while before having the dealer "rip my new FJ apart".:)

From my experience, even with the way you checked it out, it could be telegraphing from somewhere else than that exact spot. Did you check out the 'hidden box' on the psgr. side in the cargo area?

You could have the dealer write it up so you have hardcopy of the problem, but if he says he needs to tear out the headliner and start taking the interior apart...well, you could end up with bigger issues.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check but I'm pretty sure the roof rack bolts are a fair distance from the area right above that window.

I don't think it's telegraphing based on the fact that pressing on the headliner in the exact place I hear the noise coming from seems to stop it…

·
Registered
2010 FJ Cruiser White
87 Posts
mine had the same problem...took it into the stealership...had to do with the hinge between the seat and the car. they lubricated it...u can get rid of the noise by adding tape around the hinge.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's really not there - it's coming from above.

Just on a whim I folded the rear seats down and it's still coming from above.

To reproduce it I hit sharply up on the trim right in front of the rear window, in front of the little plug fastener that holds the trim up there.

From the inside it does sound like the noise is coming from behind the headliner; from the outside it sounds like it's coming from somewhere a bit forward of the rear window but definitely from that area.

I tried holding the window and roof rack and the sound is still made, but gently pressing on the headliner about 2" forward of the coat hook on the side silences the "twang."

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I had a similar sound and looked under my FJ while it was at idle. I found the source for mine. It was the thin heat shield above the muffler and attached to the under body. In my case the rear portion became detached and it hung down to rattle on the muffler. It was most noticeable at low to mid revs.

In getting my new tires on the other day, I asked the shop to fix it for me. It had split. They reattached it for almost nothing and all is quiet as for that annoying and mildly worrisome sound.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Fwiw, this is what's up there.

I have more pics if needed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Fwiw, this is what's up there.

I have more pics if needed.
Mine is a base that doesn't have the sub, but in your picture it would be right above the window, right above the sub.

Looking at your other photos on photobucket, I'm 99% certain it's either that black bracket at the rear of the airbag curtain that it's bolted to, the silver bolt or the (in the photo greyish looking) support under the airbag. That's exactly where it sounds like the "twang" is coming from and corresponds exactly to where pressing on the headliner makes the sound stop, and the portion of the plastic trim above and forward of the fastener above the window is exactly where if I hit upwards I can make the noise happen.

Looks like, save however much work it is to drop the rear of the headliner, it shouldn't be too hard a fix.

Here's another photo I found - the area vibrating must be either the silver bracket, the black bracket or something else in this photo from the rear of the curtain to the right edge of the photo along the body:

Looking at the photo I wouldn't be surprised if the noise is the black bracket vibrating against the body.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've lost a bracket down the side before and it got stuck between the plastic panel and the body. It's in there so good that I've left it and got new ones.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow and will let you all know how it goes and what they find.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
When I was a young buck I use to love to put a zip tie on my friends drive shaft of his truck that was just long enough to hit something and make a loud noise. lol I was evil back then.

·
Registered
501 Posts
When I was a young buck I use to love to put a zip tie on my friends drive shaft of his truck that was just long enough to hit something and make a loud noise. lol I was evil back then.
Hey I know this one. If you used 3 or 4 of them it sounds like the trans is gonna explode

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, they found the airbag curtain on that side was rattling against the vehicle frame and added some foam behind it - problem solved.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Good for you :).

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine had the same problem...took it into the stealership...had to do with the hinge between the seat and the car. they lubricated it...u can get rid of the noise by adding tape around the hinge.
Ahhh.. I think this is my problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
check under the vehicle right above the muffler there's a heat plate, that really has no function the bolts may be loose or rusted and the plate is bangging around under there ...
you can actually remove it with your hands ....i did and noise went away...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts