Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Found the first thing I don’t like about the FJ

They work pretty well too - I used to use them. Then I started mounting things to the roof rack, and bought a handful of the stage light hangers - they are 2" ID, but I got some big clear vinyl hose and cut half circles from it. Now they fit tight, and they do not roll even under load or scratch the paint off letting rust start - so I just rig them to deal with most anything. Fishing rods, shovels, awning, solar panel - most anything you can want to hang off the rack can be done with these things and a few Quick Fists without any drilling.

I had to get plywood when my F-250 was in the shop - these things handled six 4x8 of 3/4" ply.

But the straps are dead simple solution....
Thats a great solution, before spending a few hundred on a better rack. Do you have a link to where you bought them? Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Based on the title of the thread I just figured you went to the gas station for the first time.
What is it a 20 Gallon Tank? Put 3/4 in and it was like 35$ which i didnt think was TERRIBLE. but at the same time im not driving it everyday yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yea i quoted and responded to something and it was answered later... lol...havent been on a forum for years so ill get back into the groove. lol

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts

Don't really use the OEM rack except to mount my axe and shovel. The 'A' pillar vision issue not so much.

The first thing I noticed was rear and rear quarter vision which I made worse with a swingout bumper which worsened the spare tire location.

The second thing, a little later, was the drivers seat creeping down.

Rear vision resolved, seat creep NOPE!

I like the eye bolt mounting solutions! :smile In case I do start using the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The lack of a crotch-cooling AC duct outlet centered under the steering wheel, directed squarely at The Boys.

My 3rd-gen 4WD 4Runner has one, and I never realized how much I used it, and how valuable it was when off-roading while wearing shorts, until I discovered that's its missing from the FJ.

Most of my off-roading is in the Southwest, and shorts are appropriate almost all year round, even at higher elevations.

(On further reflection, it's probably equally beneficial for the girls, helping keep things cool, dry & fresh.)

·
Registered
409 Posts

That's one of the things that made me put off getting a swingaway - instead I just put a spacer on the tire carrier to space out and fit the bigger tire.

But the roof rack was one of the draws of the FJ for me - so much you can put up there if you think it thru. I rather cram things on the roof than in the car - especially things we all carry "just in case" like hi-lifts, shovels, traction mats, etc...

·
Registered
962 Posts
That's one of the things that made me put off getting a swingaway - instead I just put a spacer on the tire carrier to space out and fit the bigger tire.

But the roof rack was one of the draws of the FJ for me - so much you can put up there if you think it thru. I rather cram things on the roof than in the car - especially things we all carry "just in case" like hi-lifts, shovels, traction mats, etc...
whats the best way you have found to carry external gas?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pet peeve - jerry cans don't pour gas worth a flip - most people just drag them around for show and then you need a wide mouth funnel to not spill. I used to race enduro, and we used steel cans with a screw in vent plug on the bottom so you could fillup quick. Now they have speed cans, but they are round and clunky.

I use Risk Racing 3 gal cans with a snap in base mount (chk Amazon?). I just bolt the base mount to my bumper when we are unsure of getting back on a tank. Yes p there's two holes in my bumper cover - who cares? Rest of the time I don't drag a can. And it can be padlocked.

I had an idea to bolt cans under the rear end, by the vacuum tank - but a ***** to get to in the mud...

When I finally break down and get a rear bumper, it'll be the Risk Racing cans. Don't much care for Rotopax - just don't like the way they look and clogs up your spare tire. But hey - you may love 'em!

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts

Pet peeve - jerry cans don't pour gas worth a flip - most people just drag them around for show and then you need a wide mouth funnel to not spill. I used to race enduro, and we used steel cans with a screw in vent plug on the bottom so you could fillup quick. Now they have speed cans, but they are round and clunky.

I use Risk Racing 3 gal cans with a snap in base mount (chk Amazon?). I just bolt the base mount to my bumper when we are unsure of getting back on a tank. Yes p there's two holes in my bumper cover - who cares? Rest of the time I don't drag a can. And it can be padlocked.

I had an idea to bolt cans under the rear end, by the vacuum tank - but a ***** to get to in the mud...

When I finally break down and get a rear bumper, it'll be the Risk Racing cans. Don't much care for Rotopax - just don't like the way they look and clogs up your spare tire. But hey - you may love 'em!
This works, don't have to screw around lifting heavy cans. :eek:ld:

https://www.gastapper.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

The new one is 1.2 gal/min, old one 0.6 gal/min. Gave the old one to son and grandson for their motorcycles.

gas tapper.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
I too have found the OE rack lacking in functionality. Being small I end up on the roof to access stuff. I'm not happy stepping on the load bars and someone else did the same and dented the roof. I love the look but even with the Baja Basket it's hard to load efficiently. (The back on the basket stops longer items sitting flat). About to swap for a Front Runner as I've got one coming over from South Africa saving a good bit of cost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Don't really use the OEM rack except to mount my axe and shovel. The 'A' pillar vision issue not so much.

The first thing I noticed was rear and rear quarter vision which I made worse with a swingout bumper which worsened the spare tire location.

The second thing, a little later, was the drivers seat creeping down.

Rear vision resolved, seat creep NOPE!

I like the eye bolt mounting solutions! :smile In case I do start using the rack.
Oh i like the Fuel Canister Rack!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

I too have found the OE rack lacking in functionality. Being small I end up on the roof to access stuff. I'm not happy stepping on the load bars and someone else did the same and dented the roof. I love the look but even with the Baja Basket it's hard to load efficiently. (The back on the basket stops longer items sitting flat). About to swap for a Front Runner as I've got one coming over from South Africa saving a good bit of cost.
Yea me too, I need to get that ladder attachment eventually.

·
Registered
962 Posts

I have two 5 gallon plastic cans that are from Harbor Freight. About 3 years old. We use them on the inside in our LC200 series, when we are in the middle of nowhere. Given that the FJ has less room in the cargo area, I would prefer not to carry it inside. I will look up the Risk Racing cans you mentioned with the base mount. Is this the one you have ?
https://www.amazon.com/Risk-Racing-00167-Utility-Combo-EZ3/dp/B074FBK9DM

This works, don't have to screw around lifting heavy cans. :eek:ld:

https://www.gastapper.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

The new one is 1.2 gal/min, old one 0.6 gal/min. Gave the old one to son and grandson for their motorcycles.

View attachment 1093574

View attachment 1093576
Thank you for the transfer pump. That would be very helpful. The 2 5 gallons we have now, they have the nozzle on the top, and sometimes depending on the shape of the cars rear fender, it is hard to tilt it in, and all funnels don't seem to work at the right angle on all the cars. How do you power the gastapper?

·
トヨタ Master
5,787 Posts

Well, it took a few weeks but I finally found something about this vehicle that I’m not happy with.

The Stock Roof Rack, specifically the size of the tubing and how there are no hook points. Had to resort to the solution in the photo and I wasn’t too amused securing a load that way..
Yep, that's how I haul lumber if I'm without a truck that day. Beat the alternative of spending more money on the FJ? Absolutely! :grin

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts

I have two 5 gallon plastic cans that are from Harbor Freight. About 3 years old. We use them on the inside in our LC200 series, when we are in the middle of nowhere. Given that the FJ has less room in the cargo area, I would prefer not to carry it inside. I will look up the Risk Racing cans you mentioned with the base mount. Is this the one you have ?
https://www.amazon.com/Risk-Racing-00167-Utility-Combo-EZ3/dp/B074FBK9DM

Thank you for the transfer pump. That would be very helpful. The 2 5 gallons we have now, they have the nozzle on the top, and sometimes depending on the shape of the cars rear fender, it is hard to tilt it in, and all funnels don't seem to work at the right angle on all the cars. How do you power the gastapper?
It plugs into the 12v outlet up front. A project I've never gotten to has been the DC outlet in the cargo area.

My first experience with the 5 gallon gas cans, I purposely ran Jade low on fuel. The cans came with those 'safety' nozzles, try holding the can up to the fuel door with one hand while trying to get fuel out of the can into the FJ with the other. :flame: Finally destroyed one nozzle to get the gas out. When I got home I ordered two nozzles without the safety valves. This was before the GasTapper. Now it doesn't matter :grin I still leave the new nozzles inverted and in the cans just in case of pump or electrical failure. 5 gallons of gas weighs 31.5 lbs. (of course with electrical failure, you have other issues).

I bought the cans with the Red Eye swingout from MetalTech 4x4. Also available from Amazon. Says "Includes child resistant spout with automatic shut-off and overflow protection. Internal venting so fumes do not escape into the air." Spout also prevents gas from escaping from can. Grandpa proof :eek:ld:

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/scepter-fuel-can-carb/

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-Resistant-Closures-5-Gallon-Military/dp/B000MT94TC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23L3KEMKCEZLZ&keywords=scepter+gas+can&qid=1568915868&s=automotive&sprefix=scep,automotive,202&sr=1-1

Nozzles w/out the safety valve: https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Scepter-Diesel-Water-Replacement/dp/B000MTCQO2/ref=asc_df_B000MTCQO2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061979255&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18044855481627607782&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032884&hvtargid=pla-493293422281&psc=1

Note: The water (blue) and diesel (yellow) cans have vents and don't have the safety valve. I also got a water can.

fuel can.jpg

·
Premium Member
753 Posts

whats the best way you have found to carry external gas?
AUX Tank, second favorite mod (first is coil overs). 42 gallons total capacity with lower center of gravity=performance enhancer and range increase with no can juggling and no loss of storage.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts