Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Re: Found the first thing I don’t like about the FJ

THANK YOU LEE as always. You are a great help.

My traill team has the rear outlet, so I can plug it in there.

Currently I have a pair of these https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-Gallon-Certified-Ameri-Spill/dp/B07HQTTJD6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Scepter+ECO+Jerry+Can&qid=1568917165&s=automotive&sr=1-4

They have a nozzle that you have to press while pouring. It works on the FJ no problem. on other cars, It doesn't work very well, as the nozzle will break, and it isn't the correct angle.

I need to order a couple of nozzles with no safety

Talking to you today, cost me $200. You are more expensive than a phone sex operator. LOL

It plugs into the 12v outlet up front. A project I've never gotten to has been the DC outlet in the cargo area.

My first experience with the 5 gallon gas cans, I purposely ran Jade low on fuel. The cans came with those 'safety' nozzles, try holding the can up to the fuel door with one hand while trying to get fuel out of the can into the FJ with the other. :flame: Finally destroyed one nozzle to get the gas out. When I got home I ordered two nozzles without the safety valves. This was before the GasTapper. Now it doesn't matter :grin I still leave the new nozzles inverted and in the cans just in case of pump or electrical failure. 5 gallons of gas weighs 31.5 lbs.

I bought the cans with the Red Eye swingout from MetalTech 4x4. Also available from Amazon. Says "Includes child resistant spout with automatic shut-off and overflow protection. Internal venting so fumes do not escape into the air." Spout also prevents gas from escaping from can. Grandpa proof :eek:ld:

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/scepter-fuel-can-carb/

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-Resistant-Closures-5-Gallon-Military/dp/B000MT94TC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23L3KEMKCEZLZ&keywords=scepter+gas+can&qid=1568915868&s=automotive&sprefix=scep,automotive,202&sr=1-1

Nozzles w/out the safety valve: https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Scepter-Diesel-Water-Replacement/dp/B000MTCQO2/ref=asc_df_B000MTCQO2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061979255&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18044855481627607782&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032884&hvtargid=pla-493293422281&psc=1

Note: The water (blue) and diesel (yellow) cans have vents and don't have the safety valve. I also got a water can.

View attachment 1093624

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts

Yes, Man-e-Fre aux tank with gauge. I've had it a while and picked it up dirt cheap.
Compared to a swing out bumper with cans it is very similar in price, but with 2-3 times the capacity and less weight.

It doesn't have the same Overlander appearance... just performance, and I do not have clearance issues, many trails, many boulders bent skids to prove it, and tank is virtually un scathed. OEM tank is at more risk.

·
トヨタ Master
5,794 Posts

Yes, Man-e-Fre aux tank with gauge. I've had it a while and picked it up dirt cheap.
Compared to a swing out bumper with cans it is very similar in price, but with 2-3 times the capacity and less weight.

It doesn't have the same Overlander appearance... just performance, and I do not have clearance issues, many trails, many boulders bent skids to prove it, and tank is virtually un scathed. OEM tank is at more risk.
Don't forget to mention that it comes with an "Overlander" price tag though. :wink

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts

AUX Tank, second favorite mod (first is coil overs). 42 gallons total capacity with lower center of gravity=performance enhancer and range increase with no can juggling and no loss of storage.
Ditto...

·
Registered
355 Posts

@sandFJ90210 , Don't overthink/ overengineer or over pay for roof top fuel storage. 2ea rotopax 4-Gal units fit nicely side-by side on the stock roof rack. just bolt the mounts that come with them to the factory cross bars and head out. We use our Treds/Maxtrax's stapped down over the top of them for sun shades (last pic). Heres 3 pics showing how they look. We've run this config in temperatures of 27-117 degrees and from altitudes of -278 thru 14K feet with absolutely no leaks, cracks or failures for the past 4 years. Death Valley, Moab, Arizona desert thru Montana and Sequoia cold weather camping trips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts

Pet peeve - jerry cans don't pour gas worth a flip - most people just drag them around for show and then you need a wide mouth funnel to not spill. I used to race enduro, and we used steel cans with a screw in vent plug on the bottom so you could fillup quick. Now they have speed cans, but they are round and clunky.

I use Risk Racing 3 gal cans with a snap in base mount (chk Amazon?). I just bolt the base mount to my bumper when we are unsure of getting back on a tank. Yes p there's two holes in my bumper cover - who cares? Rest of the time I don't drag a can. And it can be padlocked.

I had an idea to bolt cans under the rear end, by the vacuum tank - but a ***** to get to in the mud...

When I finally break down and get a rear bumper, it'll be the Risk Racing cans. Don't much care for Rotopax - just don't like the way they look and clogs up your spare tire. But hey - you may love 'em!
Scepter MFC. With the spout you can empty 5 gallons in ~ 1min.
Plus you can store them anywhere any way.

Downside is they are pricey.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Yes they are...and the replacement caps, gaskets, straps, etc. are even pricier.

I think I'll stick with my Risk Racing cans - they work well for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

@sandFJ90210 , Don't overthink/ overengineer or over pay for roof top fuel storage. 2ea rotopax 4-Gal units fit nicely side-by side on the stock roof rack. just bolt the mounts that come with them to the factory cross bars and head out. We use our Treds/Maxtrax's stapped down over the top of them for sun shades (last pic). Heres 3 pics showing how they look. We've run this config in temperatures of 27-117 degrees and from altitudes of -278 thru 14K feet with absolutely no leaks, cracks or failures for the past 4 years. Death Valley, Moab, Arizona desert thru Montana and Sequoia cold weather camping trips.
OOF I love that "Angry Orange" Bumper.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Thank you. That will work perfect. I will see if I can figure out how to do the 4 gal units to the roof as you did in the pics. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just mounted a Prinsu rack. It was a pricey accessory, but required. I couldn't use my garage with the OEM rack, and I can with this. THRILLED.

·
トヨタ Master
5,794 Posts

google: stage lighting clamps

Buy ones that go around 2" dia scaffolding (the dia of our factory roof rack)

I just bought a set, too, and that's how I found them once they were pointed out in another thread.
Thanks Norm! :cheers:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts