Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day everyone,

As we all know how amazing our V6 engines but we cannot get more power out of them also crazy high MPG,

therefore I am studying the idea of swapping the to VW 2.0 Turbo engine (from a GTI MK5 or MK6)

But first I want to hear from you, please tell me what you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FJ Engine Spec:
260 hp (194 kW) at 5600 rpm
271 lb⋅ft (367 N⋅m)

VW GTI MK5 Engine Spec: 2.0
200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) at 5,100−6,000 rpm
280 N⋅m (207 lb⋅ft) at 1,800−5,000 rpm

VW Golf R MK6 Engine Spec: 2.0
200 kW (270 PS) @ 6,000
350 N⋅m (258 lb⋅ft) @ 2,500-5,000

·
Registered
65 Posts
Funny, every time I see a Prius I think to myself, toyota must have made them to offset the fuel the FJ uses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"Fuel sucking brick... "

i know a couple people that drive Prius's and one drives a Honda Fit. i use the gas that they don't. it all balances out in the end.:cool:
This is kind of my household take, wife has a Prius and we drive it for most errands on the weekend. I drive the FJ, together we average about 35 mpg ;)

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Equal or more to OEM - Less fuel by 30% and more
According to the numbers you posted for the MK5 & MK6 the numbers are less than the stock 4.0

A few other things to think about:

The torque curve
Replacing the heavier 4.0L V6 with a lighter 2.0L 4cyl you are going to upset the balance and handling of the FJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would think the insturment/gauge cluster would take some electrical wizardry also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Day everyone,

As we all know how amazing our V6 engines but we cannot get more power out of them also crazy high MPG,

therefore I am studying the idea of swapping the to VW 2.0 Turbo engine (from a GTI MK5 or MK6)

But first I want to hear from you, please tell me what you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your mileage is largely controlled by the weight, wind resistance, etc of the car......not just the engine. My Lexus has essentially the same engine as the FJ but gets 30mpg on the road. You will be changing to an underpowered less reliable engine at a high cost with little benefit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take a look at the Jeep TJ forum if you want to see the results of the real experiment.

On a different note I had two supercharged small displacement trucks and in the end they were not worth the added boost. It was peak power on demand that created an entire series of mechanical issues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts