Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hi range, everything unlocked, about 40mph--even if the figure is a bit higher.

Low range...

Well, you're not supposed to go fast.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
Hi range, everything unlocked, about 40mph--even if the figure is a bit higher.

Low range...

Well, you're not supposed to go fast.
Well manual says you have to be going less than 50mph to engage 4-HI from 2-HI. I don't think that has anything to do with the top speed in gear. I know in 4-LO the max I could go was around 35-40mph. I've cruised normal highway speeds in 4-HI in slippery conditions.

The manual does have specs though.

EDIT per manual:
Four-wheel drive models

Four-wheel drive control lever at "H2" or "H4"
"3" - 148 km/h (92 mph)
"2" - 101 km/h (63 mph)
"L" - 58 km/h (36 mph)

Four-wheel drive control lever at "L4"
"3" - 56 km/h (35 mph)
"2" - 38 km/h (24 mph)
"L" - 22 km/h (14 mph)

Maximum allowable speeds
1 - "H" 48 (30 mph) - "LL" 18 (11 mph)
2 - "H" 93 (58 mph) - "LL" 35 (22 mph)
1 - "H" 138 (86 mph) - "LL" 53 (33 mph)
1 - "H" 172 (107 mph) - "LL" 66 (41 mph)
1 - "H" 175 (109 mph) - "LL" 80 (50 mph)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hotrodguru said:
Well manual says you have to be going less than 50mph to engage 4-HI from 2-HI. I don't think that has anything to do with the top speed in gear. I know in 4-LO the max I could go was around 35-40mph. I've cruised normal highway speeds in 4-HI in slippery conditions.

In a part time system I'd never go above 40mph. You'll either cook the transfer case or damage the transmission.

If you feel the need to cruise at highway speed in 4WD, get the 6MT.

And I hope you didn't mean you were going 35mph in 4L.

Since that is insane and most likely impossible.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
1983FJ60 said:

In a part time system I'd never go above 40mph. You'll either cook the transfer case or damage the transmission.

If you feel the need to cruise at highway speed in 4WD, get the 6MT.

And I hope you didn't mean you were going 35mph in 4L.

Since that is insane and most likely impossible.
I don't see how, if this were the case Toyota would surely mention it. Now I'm new to off roading but there are plenty of new systems out there that allow this if designed properly. My Subaru is full time AWD and goes well over 150mph.

On the beach I was in 4L DRIVE and wanted to see what the gearing was like. At around 25-30mph it was only turning 3k rpm. Is your statement based on concrete experience or something factual? Just curious....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hotrodguru said:
I don't see how, if this were the case Toyota would surely mention it. Now I'm new to off roading but there are plenty of new systems out there that allow this if designed properly. My Subaru is full time AWD and goes well over 150mph.

On the beach I was in 4L DRIVE and wanted to see what the gearing was like. At around 25-30mph it was only turning 3k rpm. Is your statement based on concrete experience or something factual? Just curious....
Yes.

Your Subaru's all wheel drive system doesn't have a transfer case--so it's completely different from your FJ Cruiser's, which is meant to be used off road, or in the snow in very adverse conditons and low speeds.

Your Subaru also doesn't have a low range, locking center differential, or any of those systems. You're essentially tearing up your transfer case gears by exposing them to speeds they were never meant to see in 4L--and the center locker for that matter. I'm really surprised that you hit 35mph in 4LOW--I've never gone above 5mph in Low range. And I'm surprised that your center locker didn't break--or anything else for that matter.

I think that you have a difficult time sorting out the different kinds of four wheel drive involved here, but be assured that the only FJ that can go in four wheel drive at highway speeds without damaging anything is the 6MT.

·
Registered
225 Posts
suntampafj said:
is there a max speed that one should drive in

4hi
4lo
4lo- rear locker engaged
4lo- a-trac engaged
What about just keeping the engine below redline?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
delmarva_fj said:
What about just keeping the engine below redline?
Given what I've read in this thread I'm suddenly not surprised that transfer cases are breaking for new FJC owners:|

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
so wait...what are people in New England going to do when they want to drive to the slopes at 55 mph in an automatic? 2wd rear? I don't think so

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
so wait...what are people in New England going to do when they want to drive to the slopes at 55 mph in an automatic? 2wd rear? I don't think so
You're kidding, right?

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
You're kidding, right?

Nope. How many people do you think will be using this truck for exactly that purpose? Lots and lots.....

The highways up here don't get plowed too well once you reach the NH tolls....

I'll be fine in my MT6 but I'm curious what those people will do

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
Common sense and mechanicals being what they are, as has been pointed out:

4H: If you are in a situation (AT) where you have the need to engage 4H - You and your mechanicals don't need to be going over 50mph.
4L: Definately an issue and you will notice just engine rpm is a limiting factor and I say that because of tire slippage. You might be doing 7 mph actual but your wheels and motor are going 25 or 30. Sand as an example.
I wouldn't go over 10-15 mph in 4L.
Locked: You are crawling or trying to get out of a situation you don't want to be in and while getting out is a goal - it ain't happening quickly.
As has also been pointed out - an All the time system is very different from a selected system.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
Nope. How many people do you think will be using this truck for exactly that purpose? Lots and lots.....

The highways up here don't get plowed too well once you reach the NH tolls....
So you're advocating the use of a part time 4WD meant for off road use in snow at 55mph sustained speeds?

Yeah.

It all makes sense now why these things break.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
So you're advocating the use of a part time 4WD meant for off road use in snow at 55mph sustained speeds?

Yeah.

It all makes sense now why these things break.
advocating? Not necessarily. Knowing that people use their trucks like this all the time? Yup. This is a weekly thing for most people up here. Wranglers, Pathfinders, you name it

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hmmm, no where in the manual does it specify that 4H is too be used only to a certain speed and for only a pre-determined time or distance. Now I know that when I'm in 4WD you can feel the system binding up with tight radius turns, etc...

Doesn't make sense to me to offer and sell the benifits of 4H in adverse conditions if it's limited as stated above.

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
Personal driving habits, speed limits, common sense - aside.

What a vehicle is designed to do and what people actually do with it or want to do with it may or may not coincide.

If someone wants to drive at speeds in excess of 50 mph and have 4wd or AWD capability - they need to buy a vehicle designed as an All the time system.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My FJ just came in. Silver and 6speed, so that means I win.

Mods to come once I pick it up from Milwaukee next week.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Alright, I emailed Toyota. I'd like to get a clear answer from them. Alot of this makes sense from seasoned off roaders but other things don't. Guess we'll wait and see.

IByouitoldyousofromalotofpeople

haha

1 - 20 of 64 Posts