Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down my lift choices and am contemplating between the FOX 3.5" lift from AllPro and the Toytec 3" with Bilsteins. I have seen many of the Toytec and they were my initial choice until I discovered the FOX. While Bilstein is great and all, FOX is well...FOX.

I cannot run a 6" because I still need it to fit in my garage and 6" isnt really practical for 200 miles/day. I am also not wanting to mess with haphazard lifts that utilize the stock shocks with added spacers.

If anyone has any experience with the FOX I would like to hear your opinion.

Also, if no one has experience and either Toytec or AllPro need a comparison test I will graciously volunteer.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
No experience with FOX, but I do with the Ulti, ICON and SAW. Of the three, SAW is by far the best both on and off road. Ulti just seems too loose in the steering on road, ICON was ok but I had one that squeaked so wasn't happy, and like I said the SAW is awesome.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Planning UCAs?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
銀チタン;2131797 said:
Planning UCAs?
If absolutely, positively, earth will come to an end as we know it necessary, then yes. Keep in mind I live in Florida and we have no mountains to climb.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Between the two, if money is no object, I'd go with the FOX, hands down. I don't think it will make a difference to you if you plan to be on-road most of the time. I would recommend doing the UCA's, especially since you say you will be doing 200 miles a day. You don't wanna be doing 75mph with hyperactive steering.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I am running Bilstiens now and they get the job done and have proven durable. I am about to get some FOX with resi's (and UCA's) in front and Piggy backs in the rear. I fully know that the FOX shocks will take it to the next level. If you are going with one or the other, I would say FOX and be done with it. I am going with 2.5" (diameter) coils in the front (0 - 3" lift) and have yet to deside on 2.0 or 2.5 for the back.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am running Bilstiens now and they get the job done and have proven durable. I am about to get some FOX with resi's (and UCA's) in front and Piggy backs in the rear. I fully know that the FOX shocks will take it to the next level. If you are going with one or the other, I would say FOX and be done with it. I am going with 2.5" (diameter) coils in the front (0 - 3" lift) and have yet to deside on 2.0 or 2.5 for the back.
I am leaning towards the FOX, I figure if I am going to spend the $$$ I might as well go with the best.

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
They are not really comparable lifts. Yes they both lift you vehicle 3 inches and are adjustable. The Fox suspension costs 50% more than ToyTec. If you have the extra money in your budget get the Fox. If it was me and I had the extra money in the budget, I would get some Kings.

Edit: I run ToyTec and like the lift. It rides nice, is adjustable, and the price was right. When/If I redo my front suspension I will be going to Kings. Nothing bad to say about ToyTec just want to change it up a little and I would like reservors as I get some fade when bombing down fireroads.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I dont know much about Fox, I do have the Toytec Ultimate 3" and I like it alot. Like you I mostly drive on road. I did get the light racing UCA's also, I really like the feel and ride.

Good Luck

:cheers:

Jay

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
If it was me and I had the extra money in the budget, I would get some Kings.
Bingo.

My advice, research your options. To say that Fox is the best, you'd need to be able to substantiate the statement as to why they're the best for your purposes, in my opinion.

For the most part, based on the OEM limitations, once dealing with coil overs it's almost a "pick a color" decision, considering the terrain most FJCs see.

That said, find a company you feel you'll get the best customer service from and listen to what their suggestions are, and heed.

My two cents.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are not really comparable lifts. Yes they both lift you vehicle 3 inches and are adjustable. The Fox suspension costs 50% more than ToyTec. If you have the extra money in your budget get the Fox. If it was me and I had the extra money in the budget, I would get some Kings.
There is a local shop that uses both FOX and KING I talked to him about the Fox but not the KING. The shop also builds some ridiculous show quality FJ's and jeeps, full frame off stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Im running the Fox +3.5 set up and unless your carrying weight in the back- it rides rough no matter what the setting states on the dial of the adjustable knob. The springs are 20% stiffer which translates to rough ride. Unless you have a heavy rear bumper, spare or are carrying a lot of supplies daily- I wouldnt recommend the Fox/ AP set up.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
If absolutely, positively, earth will come to an end as we know it necessary, then yes. Keep in mind I live in Florida and we have no mountains to climb.
Here's the deal, man, and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer.

To be considering a 3.5" lift without UCAs being a planned expenditure,
you're going about this wrong, and you've not researched enough.

Take your time.

There are quality options available that provide a great ride quality, a 2.5" lift front and reuse the rear coils, and can run the OEM UCAs. Cramming an advertised 3.5" lift without replacing UCAs is asking for long term issues, at the very least the steering/handling won't be acceptable.

If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time, when the heck will you ever have time/money to fix it.

Again, trying to save you a future WTS post. I've ran three different lifts because I didn't heed my own advice, and it's all stupidity, on my part, because all the information I needed make a good decision is on the pages here.

·
Banned
6,079 Posts
銀チタン;2131959 said:
Bingo.

My advice, research your options. To say that Fox is the best, you'd need to be able to substantiate the statement as to why they're the best for your purposes, in my opinion.

For the most part, based on the OEM limitations, once dealing with coil overs it's almost a "pick a color" decision, considering the terrain most FJCs see.

That said, find a company you feel you'll get the best customer service from and listen to what their suggestions are, and heed.

My two cents.
:cheers:Win. I don't believe the Bilstiens that Toytec uses are rebuildable, either... Correct me if needed..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
銀チタン;2131959 said:
Bingo.

My two cents.

I agree completely, which is why I am not interested in Rough Country, Fabtec, OME, etc. Once you get out of the "me too" everyday run of the mill suspension companies and start dealing with the premium brands it starts to get more complex. I have started researching warranties as of late as I am sure this will play a factor in my decision.

"Cheap auto parts are not good, & good auto parts are not cheap" I also believe in having the best one can afford! :cheers:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
銀チタン;2131972 said:
Here's the deal, man, and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer.

To be considering a 3.5" lift without UCAs being a planned expenditure,
you're going about this wrong, and you've not researched enough.

Take your time.

There are quality options available that provide a great ride quality, a 2.5" lift front and reuse the rear coils, and can run the OEM UCAs. Cramming an advertised 3.5" lift without replacing UCAs is asking for long term issues, at the very least the steering/handling won't be acceptable.

If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time, when the heck will you ever have time/money to fix it.

Again, trying to save you a future WTS post. I've ran three different lifts because I didn't heed my own advice, and it's all stupidity, on my part, because all the information I needed make a good decision is on the pages here.
I never said no to running new UCA's. If I need to spend an extra $700 then I will, no worries! If there is one thing I preach it is to spend the money upfront and do it right the first time or you are doomed to redo it later.

I cannot count how many friends come over to have me fix everything and anything that someone has else has messed up.

This is also why my toolbox and tools are all Snap-On, because while Crapsman and Harbor Freight may have the same warranty, it doesnt cover stripped , marred, and galled hardware that will take hours to repair.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
This is the exact same dilema I have reached in deciding on which lift to go with, ToyTec or Fox. :thinkerg: I can spend the money either way, and I understand the differences and merits of each setup, and yes, I would go with new UCAs for either choice.

I whole heartedly agree that you should do it once, and do it right, so you don't have to do it again! If you need to spend more money up front to do it, you will always be happy that you did, and not look back saying..."Gee, if I had only......."

I appreciate it that others have added their inputs as well. Now I just need to make up my mind before something else comes along and makes me go Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?? :rofl:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran a Fox lift on my 2007 Tacoma, and was very happy with the quality. The ride was way better than stock. I had another Tacoma with Donahoes (old school ICONs) and slightly preferred the ride to the Fox lift so I'm going with ICONs for my FJ. I've never ran Kings, but hear nothing but good things. I just can't past the color of them, especially since my FJ is Army Green. Pick your color and go with it.:bigthumb:

Oh, and UCAs are pretty much a necessity IMO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts