Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, what should i choose?

I would like to have some opinions.
I already have the Toytec Ultimate lift that was installed for 18k kms.. They are still working very well for me. But since i have some cash to spare, i will upgrade the suspension to either Icon or Fox Shox.

Fox Shox:
2.5 coilovers w/ remote resevoir
2.0 Piggy back
TC UCA

Icon:
front coilovers w/ remote reservoir
2.5 piggy back
TC UCA

there is no difference in price including shipping overseas and money is not the issue.
So help me choose one of them since i know no one that had experience with them.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
as the title says, what should i choose?

I would like to have some opinions.
I already have the Toytec Ultimate lift that was installed for 18k kms.. They are still working very well for me. But since i have some cash to spare, i will upgrade the suspension to either Icon or Fox Shox.

Fox Shox:
2.5 coilovers w/ remote resevoir
2.0 Piggy back
TC UCA

Icon:
front coilovers w/ remote reservoir
2.5 piggy back
TC UCA

there is no difference in price including shipping overseas and money is not the issue.
So help me choose one of them since i know no one that had experience with them.
Thanks in advance.
I see way more people recommend Icons on these forums than Foxx; HOWEVER, I suspect it is because there are more vendors on these forums who are Icon dealers than it is because Icons are THAT much better.

I am interested to see comments.

(disclaimer: I have an ICON stage six setup right now and just ordered ICON long travel shocks to go with my TC 2" kit and ICON Omega Bypasses to replace my piggy backs in the rear)

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Either is a fine product. You'll see more recommend ICON simply because most of the vendors and people on this forum offer or bought ICON.

Personally, I'd go FOX if I was comparing the two. They cover a much broader market than ICON does and I think that speaks for itself as far as experience goes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You might want to consider sway a way's
I like my fronts and rear set up.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I went with Icon because they have taken a lot of time getting the valveing right. They are a brand that is loyal to the fj community. They also raced an fj in baja, something none of the other shock manufactureres have done.
Actually your last statement there is quite wrong and completely incorrect (and it has much more due to other factors than just shocks than most think). Btw I wouldn't toss as much value into an FJ in baja (TC, ICON, or Camburg, as those who are running FJs orsimilar vehicles with other shocks in KOH).

Since you are so certain on your valving is best, can you describe Icons setup differs from others?

·
Registered
428 Posts
When I was buying my shocks, I looked into King, Fox, or Icon. I asked several friends that desert race. Not one recommended either one over the other. Each are re-buildable, and you can change the valving. They basically told me to go with the best price. At the time I was looking, I was able to get the best deal on the Fox shocks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I can not compare to other shocks on fjs. I could have bought any brand and had to go to the trouble of revalveing. I made my choice based on the time icon has spent getting the shocks correct to race. I am not an fj racing historian. I know that Dylan at icon raced an fj, that is good enough for me. As far as my shocks go, when I hit a nice bump 50+ they soak it up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that's a Dilemma..

well the vendor in Kuwait recommend Fox because they have dealt with them before and they received great deals and great cusomer service. Add to that, the dealer i am buying from has nothing against Icon but he said "if anything goes wrong, i cant guarantie that Icon will take action as Fox do" thats what he said based on his experience with both.
I still have time to place the order, so i'll wait for more inputs.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I just got used FOX 2.5, Had WE 2.0 adjustable prior, the FOX are awesome :bigthumb:. They absorbed the impact amazingly, if I could only keep the rear of the FJ grounded, so I don't throw my cargo and bury the front skid into the ground again.

Did this for about an hour on some open trails

·
Registered
276 Posts
extended travel rears?

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I guess I should have written danahoe. I know exactly what it takes to desert race. We spent a day in Barstow last weekend testing and revalveing to get the cars set up perfect. Btw we run fox on the race car.
I can not compare to other shocks on fjs. I could have bought any brand and had to go to the trouble of revalveing. I made my choice based on the time icon has spent getting the shocks correct to race. I am not an fj racing historian. I know that Dylan at icon raced an fj, that is good enough for me. As far as my shocks go, when I hit a nice bump 50+ they soak it up.
My point was your original statement that ONLY ICON/DONAHUE have done baja with an FJ was wrong. They are not the ONLY ones to have their shocks on an FJ that runs baja.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Look into SAW,s......they have been racing Baja for many years...I think since the first race.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My point was your original statement that ONLY ICON/DONAHUE have done baja with an FJ was wrong. They are not the ONLY ones to have their shocks on an FJ that runs baja.
My point is that no shock manufacturer has had their logo across the hood of an FJ other than Icon that I know of. Sure others have run other shocks, but do you think they got any help from the manufacturer? I can only guess that they would use the R&D from racing to get their shock right.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
My point is that no shock manufacturer has had their logo across the hood of an FJ other than Icon that I know of. Sure others have run other shocks, but do you think they got any help from the manufacturer? I can only guess that they would use the R&D from racing to get their shock right.
Little bit caught up on this aren't you:lol:? Are you simply trying to find something you are correct about at this point? If so you win, yes ICON has their logo on a hood and I don't know of anyone else (can we include the side of the FJ, Roof, Back Door as well?:rofl:). If you didn't catch my drift, where a sticker is located on a baja vehicle doesn't mean much.

Bottom line is they aren't the only ones that have raced baja and they aren't the only ones with their name on a FJ thats done baja (not sure why that matters). To your last point, yes, several got help from other shock mfgs so they, "didn't simply have to use R&D from racing" like you are describing.

I'm not sure what the stickers have to do with the OP's questions, but I'm eager to learn. As I see it, both FOX and ICON make fine products.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
The poor guy is now confused, everyone has made reasonable arguments. Being the Engineer that I am, I would look to internal design & overall materials compared to price, that may be the only way to sway your decision?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Little bit caught up on this aren't you:lol:? Are you simply trying to find something you are correct about at this point? If so you win, yes ICON has their logo on a hood and I don't know of anyone else (can we include the side of the FJ, Roof, Back Door as well?:rofl:). If you didn't catch my drift, where a sticker is located on a baja vehicle doesn't mean much.

Bottom line is they aren't the only ones that have raced baja and they aren't the only ones with their name on a FJ thats done baja (not sure why that matters). To your last point, yes, several got help from other shock mfgs so they, "didn't simply have to use R&D from racing" like you are describing.

I'm not sure what the stickers have to do with the OP's questions, but I'm eager to learn. As I see it, both FOX and ICON make fine products.
I think you are the one w/the hang up. You still don't seem to get the
point I have been trying to make so I'll give up, you win. Your the expert, keep that post count going higher and higher.

over and out

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
I think you are the one w/the hang up. You still don't seem to get the
point I have been trying to make so I'll give up, you win. Your the expert, keep that post count going higher and higher.

over and out
Bud light vs. Coors light:cheers:

Just get whats going to be most convenient for you to have serviced or repaired. They are both great products.
Have you considered king suspension? They are readily avalible world wide.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts