Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been researching the suspension and lifts at great lengths, reading everyone's input on here and I've got the money to finally pull the trigger on it. I am curious to hear is there a notable difference in the 2.0 vs 2.5 front coilovers in performance or ride quality? Mine is a daily driver but I do want to get into the off road realm. I'm a beginner so it probably won't be too crazy for a while. I am also of the thinking of do it right the first time in quality etc. I am also curious the differences between the equivalent fox and icon set ups. The prices seems to be about the same for comparable kits? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
IMO pick a color. You could probably find the Icons on sale more often but I haven't looked at Foxes much either. I do really like the clicker adjusters on the Icon more than any other brand but I would steer you away from that cost for what you are doing.

2.5" diameter is by far better than 2.0 and worth the added cost to me. Especially if you add some weight with a steel bumper.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/size-tacoma-4runner-shocks-need/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply and the link. It seems to be just a few hundred dollars difference between a 2 vs 2.5 set up and seems to be much more capable and with expanding to bumpers etc like you said.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,104 Posts
You’ll find a raft of reasons for and against each brand but they are all good choices. I went with Fox 2.5s primarily because I can get them serviced here no problem but was a toss up for me between Fox, Radflo and King, (not impressed with Icon either).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the input, yes i'm trying not to make a hasty or uniformed decision, and now I'm researching King as the price point is going up because of quality, lol. Any input on the ToyTec set ups. I met a guy who works at a shop here in St Louis and he is pushing them pretty hard. Wondering pros and cons on Toytec. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Thank you all for the input, yes i'm trying not to make a hasty or uniformed decision, and now I'm researching King as the price point is going up because of quality, lol. Any input on the ToyTec set ups. I met a guy who works at a shop here in St Louis and he is pushing them pretty hard. Wondering pros and cons on Toytec. Thanks again!
I always hear people "upgrading" from toytec, icon, fox etc to Kings but not the other way around. I have Fox 2.5 without reservoirs right now. Great ride. have about 40K miles on them. I had a brand new set of Kings but i sold it when i was momentarily infatuated with long travel. Now that I have come to my senses, I should have kept and installed the Kings.

·
Registered
743 Posts
IMO pick a color. You could probably find the Icons on sale more often but I haven't looked at Foxes much either. I do really like the clicker adjusters on the Icon more than any other brand but I would steer you away from that cost for what you are doing.

2.5" diameter is by far better than 2.0 and worth the added cost to me. Especially if you add some weight with a steel bumper.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/size-tacoma-4runner-shocks-need/
Could be wrong, but aren't you limited to 1.5" lift on a 2.5 diameter Fox rear shock? Pretty sure this this why I skipped them and went with Icon.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Wondering pros and cons on Toytec. Thanks again!
Unmentioned so far are the OME BP-51's. They have the longest warranty -- 3 years fit & finish -- of anything at this tier. Remote-reservoir, height / compression / rebound adjustable. Had a set on my FJ and had them on our new 4Runner at 400 miles on the truck.

Nothing against the Toytec's -- I have lots of friends that work there -- but at the $2500+ remote-resi tier of suspension I'd rank them after OME, King and Fox.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unmentioned so far are the OME BP-51's. They have the longest warranty -- 3 years fit & finish -- of anything at this tier. Remote-reservoir, height / compression / rebound adjustable. Had a set on my FJ and had them on our new 4Runner at 400 miles on the truck.

Nothing against the Toytec's -- I have lots of friends that work there -- but at the $2500+ remote-resi tier of suspension I'd rank them after OME, King and Fox.
I would say Toytec is not in the same tier as OME, King or Fox. Toytec boss performance is about that much if you include the TC UCA's, which you want anyways. So yes, the cost is still the same, but you are going to want to add UCA's to OME, King or Fox anyways, which will put them well north of 3k.

That being said, from what I have heard (annecdotally of course) OME and King pay for themselves with on-road behavior as well as overall quality. But honestly, when were talking Toytec boss vs those three, it seems to be an argument of better or best.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Toytec boss performance is about that much if you include the TC UCA's, which you want anyways. So yes, the cost is still the same, but you are going to want to add UCA's to OME, King or Fox anyways, which will put them well north of 3k.
Having replaced bushings and ball joints on the TC UCAs for a friend, I'd rather have the Icon tube UCAs with delta joints. They're only a little more expensive than the Total Chaos but more importantly, the tops of them aren't open to the elements like on the TC's.

That being said, from what I have heard (annecdotally of course) OME and King pay for themselves with on-road behavior as well as overall quality.
I daily a Lexus GS sedan and have had BP-51's in both an FJ and a (now) 4Runner. The BP-51's ride smoother on the road than my GS does.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know there are new people at ICON now, but I won't run any of their stuff due to the company's history. If you are looking for the best possible setup, talk to the guys at Accutune.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I know there are new people at ICON now, but I won't run any of their stuff due to the company's history.
Oh I'd never buy one of their suspensions -- agreed, they've earned a reputation that they haven't un-earned yet -- but their UCAs are another story.

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Although Icon and Fox are at similar level, one key difference is Icon has digressive piston and Fox has linear piston. Give this article a read and decide which suits you better.
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

Also, if you plan to get adjuster, Fox DSC again win by design.
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/how-fox-dsc-dual-speed-compression-adjusters-work/
Thanks for linking that article, I have not seen that one. I bought Icons due to the digressive design and reviewing it's use for off-road rally racing.

I will agree that small bumps, slower vertical wheel speed, the compression is stiff but it is not harsh (very controlled on road handling). However, I feel the digressive design excels when vertical wheel speed increases such as when driving fast through large bumps and whoops; it feels very controlled. Perhaps the tuning for the FJ uses a milder digressive curve.

I have ridden in FJs with Radflo and Kings, and really did not notice a big difference. Granted that was only on gravel roads or in the sand dunes. Maybe my butt accelerometer is not finely tuned as others :rofl:.

I am very happy with my Icons which are about 4 years old with ~55k miles. They worked perfectly for my use generally exploring for camping and fishing, occasional moderate trails, and annual trips to the sand dunes (although have not been for a couple of years). Knock on wood, no breaks or leaks. However, I would like to upgrade the rears to 2.5-inch diameter size since they cannot keep up with the front coil overs over washboard trails.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts