Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/51059-modified-curt-front-end-hitch-reciever-alternative-installation.html#post885479

What I did was take a curt front hitch reciever and modify it so instead of it going below the bumper bar, it goes above, thus allowing you use it as a winch mount.

Step 1
Chop it up real good. I cut off the tow points and the part of the hitch reciever that gets bolted onto the fj's tow points.

Step 2 - the slot
Of course there are different ways to cut the slot. (I used a band saw)
Drill holes for a slot

Step 3
cut the slot out. I used a band saw.

Step 4 - Intsallation

To get it on the FJ I had to remove the bumper, move the AC line, then chop a little bit:

Then drill some new holes for the bolts.

The test went well. I pulled on a tree untill it stalled, kind of scary but necessary. I've got a video of it but i need to edit out the swearing(the winch was doing weird things, turned out I had, sort of, screwed up the motor when I wired it, but I managed to fix it in the end)

Hope that was clear... I'm not sure if anyone else would ever try this, cheap but fabrication-requiring, way to a winch mount but I'm pretty dam happy with it.

Could someone who knows alot about torquing bolts tell me what sort of torque I should put on the bolts that hold this thing on?

Here some pics of how it looks with the bumper on.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
FRONT RECEIVER WINCH MOUNT: Inst. w/ pics

To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/51679-2-front-receiver-winch-multi-mount.html

My FJ is a dual-purpose machine, a daily driver and an off roader. I also take long trips in it as well. It should come as little surprise that I have an overall weight saving program in mind as I add MODS. When the time came to start thinking about a winch I thought why carry that extra weight around all the time when I only will be using it off road. That is when I decided to use a multi mount on a 2” receiver. It will also serve as part of a future bumper build.

Now before some of you go off about how a 2” receiver wont handle the stress, yada yada yada, save it. The Multi mount has been proven over several years and I am comfortable with it’s use. After all it is my rig and in the end if it fails it is my problem.

I was inspired by another forum member who I’d like to thank but I cant find the thread

The photos and captions speak for themselves.

1-Stock without bumper cover (what a POS that thing is)
2-AC line standoff, this will be modified to hold AC line once moved back toward radiator
3-Bumper standoff, not holes, these will be used as a mounting point for 2" receiver
4-2" receiver raw, front
5-2" receiver raw, rear view

Attachments

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Re: 2" Front Receiver for Winch Multi Mount

1-Test Fit Raw
2-Test fit-side view
3-Painted and installed-front view
4-Painted and installed-side view
5-Back together ready to go to work

Attachments

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Re: 2" Front Receiver for Winch Multi Mount

Any pics with a winch mounted?
Ask and you shall receive. Mounted front and rear, also good for airing up tires at the end of the day.

Attachments

Reactions: TexasGMG
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.