·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the regional manager took some detailed pics and i will try to get them uploaded.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
X2 on why you need a new frame....
Is it broken, cracked or are your saying it is because of rust?? If it's rust you would have a lot of other parts just as bad and needing replacent such as all the cross members and support brackets, spring purches...etc. Do you want the new frame or wondering if you really need one becuase your told by the dealer you need one? Pictures would be a big help here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine was on the verge of doing that, but I caught it before it caved in. My frame had a bunch of cracks in it at the same place where the motor mounts are so I had them weld it back up and put gussets on it. The gussets made it stronger than the updated factory frame. Was an easy fix. DMZ fab does it and has brackets for this issue. They have also fixed ones that caved in too. It's fixable without replacing the frame and it'll be stronger than a new factory frame.

FJ Motor Mount Perch Gusset Kit | DMZ FAB

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am waiting on an update from toyota customer service...probably middle of next week. they have been nothing but cordial and helpful so far.

they did say that no frame recalls have been issued for the fj. that being said, my local delaership has a graveyard of tacoma and tundra frames outside the building.

it is not just due to rust. there is a weak point. pictures coming soon

i would like it replaced, since something this important must be a safety hazard if left unchecked.

thanks in advance for any advice from forum member that are more in tune with fj issues than i am

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just spoke with my local Toyota dealership in Massachusetts and they say I need to replace my frame (2007 fjc with 93k miles)

They want a 4 figure deductible.

I feel like they should foot the entire bill

I am trying to get in touch with tibaal89 since he posted information back in 2009
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/misc-technical-discussion/76161-broken-frame-saga.html

anyone else run into this issue?

help me out forum!
we need wayyyyyy more details..
.. Was it in an accident?, rust? was Tiger Wood's X beating your FJ with a 9 iron?
Do you SCUBA with your FJ as an amphibious vehicle?
More details please... you just can't say " I need a new frame"...with all due respect ...:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
i am waiting on an update from toyota customer service...probably middle of next week. they have been nothing but cordial and helpful so far.

they did say that no frame recalls have been issued for the fj. that being said, my local delaership has a graveyard of tacoma and tundra frames outside the building.

it is not just due to rust. there is a weak point. pictures coming soon

i would like it replaced, since something this important must be a safety hazard if left unchecked.

thanks in advance for any advice from forum member that are more in tune with fj issues than i am
Toyota quietly changed the frame on FJ Cruisers from the Prado 120 model to the Prado 150 starting with the 2010 model year. The 2010+ FJ Cruisers have major reinforcement plates on the frame where the engine mounts are. There are other new reinforcement plates near the rear suspension attachment points too.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Toyota quietly changed the frame on FJ Cruisers from the Prado 120 model to the Prado 150 starting with the 2010 model year. The 2010+ FJ Cruisers have major reinforcement plates on the frame where the engine mounts are. There are other new reinforcement plates near the rear suspension attachment points too.
Maybe that explains the cracking fenders on the earlier model units? A weak, flexing frame in the front snout area could definitely cause the cracking, and any other problems like broken motor mount brackets, etc. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Wow, that would have been good to know before I bought my 2007 back in Oct. I knew about many of the other changes, but had not seen anything on this one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe that explains the cracking fenders on the earlier model units? A weak, flexing frame in the front snout area could definitely cause the cracking, and any other problems like broken motor mount brackets, etc. Just sayin'.
Could be. Toyota also redesigned the inner fender aprons in mid-2008. In the weak area there was an overlap that contained two layers of thin sheet metal and that area changed to three layers. When I bought my 2008 it had a minor fender bender from the previous owner. My front passenger inner fender apron has the three layer steel overlap where as my front driver side has only the two layer steel overlap - which was weld repaired by Toyota earlier.

As for the frame - it's just speculation as to why it's changed. The vast majority of FJ Cruisers produced for the US were '07 through '09 and very very few appear to have reported this problem so far. In 2010, the new frame coincided with the newer higher horsepower engine (although it's torque that really matters and that went down a tad). It's also speculated that Toyota wanted to standardize frame model use to save money and the 4Runner used the Prado 150, so using it on the FJ could save costs when ordering those instead of the unique to FJ only Prado 120. It's all really unknown, but, Prado's own literature states that the 150 frame is a certain percentage stiffer than the 120. I can't remember the number but I think it was around 10 to 15%

I've seen so many FJs on this forum crossing the 200K and 300K mile mark with no issues that I can't see it as a guaranteed problem waiting to happen. I've kept my 2008 even when I could have bought a new 2014. I have no worries about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the insight guys.

i am going ahead with the frame replacement and will report back along the way. toyota says a new frame takes a few months to arrive. hopefully sooner.

·
Registered
222 Posts
thanks for all the insight guys.

i am going ahead with the frame replacement and will report back along the way. toyota says a new frame takes a few months to arrive. hopefully sooner.
Got pics of you frame? I was curious to see them and see how bad it was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have the same problem with 114,000 miles. Bought the car less than one year ago, i should have talked with a few mechanics before . Toyota has a prolonged and serious problem with vehicles with frames. The car is going to the dealer in about a week, i'll post the results. The service manager indicated that Toyota may split the bill, my part will be up moreso than down , $5000.00. Bought the car in Wva and now resides in central Pa. Anyone out there considering a Toyota with a frame (not unibody) i would have serious reservations.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
you know i have just the opposite view of that BS-FJ any truck on the road benefits from rust proofing ..just because you bought a used FJ from someone that didn't take care of it property doesn't mean Toyota frames are bad ..i mean why did you even buy the truck ? you overlooked the problem no one else...here is my 2007 with NO rust , the difference between taking care of one compared to not taking care of it ... i take it to Ziebart every year for a touch up for 35.00 beats 5000.00 plus to replace the frame huh

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
We have the same problem with 114,000 miles. Bought the car less than one year ago, i should have talked with a few mechanics before . Toyota has a prolonged and serious problem with vehicles with frames. The car is going to the dealer in about a week, i'll post the results. The service manager indicated that Toyota may split the bill, my part will be up moreso than down , $5000.00. Bought the car in Wva and now resides in central Pa. Anyone out there considering a Toyota with a frame (not unibody) i would have serious reservations.
You bought this used, did not properly inspect it and NOW you are bad mouthing Toyota due to the previous owner's neglect? Are you ****ting me?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts