Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
you know i have just the opposite view of that BS-FJ any truck on the road benefits from rust proofing ..just because you bought a used FJ from someone that didn't take care of it property doesn't mean Toyota frames are bad ..i mean why did you even buy the truck ? you overlooked the problem no one else...here is my 2007 with NO rust , the difference between taking care of one compared to not taking care of it ... i take it to Ziebart every year for a touch up for 35.00 beats 5000.00 plus to replace the frame huh
..... X2

It is good to know that your previous posts were sarcastic. LOL.

FJ Cruisers are put through hell. They get cleaned and sold. People buy them and then complain about Toyota quality.
A few complain and it puts shadow on all the ones driving the 2007-2009 models.

Mine is a 2007 with no fender buldge or any cracks or any issues. I even bought mine used from New York. I had some corrosion on it back in 2011 because the previous owner did NOT take care of it. I admit. I wire brushed it and fixed it and I take care of it and I wash it properly.

I would like to know if the OP bought his vehicle BRAND NEW.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You bought this used, did not properly inspect it and NOW you are bad mouthing Toyota due to the previous owner's neglect? Are you ****ting me?
Well said !

May be he just wants to justify buying a Jeep? :rofl:

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
May be he just wants to justify buying a Jeep? :rofl:
I got in over my head when I bought my last Jeep. Ended up snowballing into a complete rebuild, even a new frame. Was not enough left to call it a rust bucket
I did not mean to sound like an ass, but the OP clearly created an account here just to dog Toyota and biOtch about the mistake he bought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I definitely don't think it's right to point the finger at the owner for this in any way. The frame is structural these are built and designed to withstand daily driving off road etc. point is car frames are not something new they have been around as long as cars have. So the conditions they face are well understood. I feel bad for this guy 90k and bad frame that's just shoddy manufacturing no excuse. I have a 90s ford never garage kept driven in salt 22years old and never questioned weather the frame would hold up. Come on guys his truck is 9 years old, Shameful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Toyota "quality" it seems most other manufacturers have problems with windows airbags, body related. Toyota seems to be structural and major driveline. I think they relied on a good past reputation to sell cars.and some corners were cut.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I busted mine many years ago too. Torquing on them in 4LO really strains them.

I pulled my front diff out from under, and then forced everything back to factory alignment as I could, and welded the crap out of it. Then, I ground off excess weld and welded in the DMZ motor mount gussets on both the failed side and the "not yet failed side."

They typically fail on the passenger side first. Probably because the way the motor twists under load puts that mount under a more compressive stress.

I've had the fender bulges, the broken frame, and more recently my VVT-I actuators have failed. I think all of these are design flaws that were not properly acknowledged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also from Massachusetts and the owner of 2007 FJ. Frame is completely rusted. Evidently the "passenger side rear lower control arm" has completely rusted off of the frame and there's basically nothing left to re-attach it to. It's got 115k miles and, according to my dealer, it's now undriveable and, without a frame replacement, not fixable. What was your eventual resolution? Any luck with Toyota?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
IMHO the new frame design for 2010+ to me in an acknowledgement that previous year's frame had issues and no recall issued! Can you imagine how expensive that would have been for Toyota, as I think unit sales in early years surpassed those of 2010+, contributing as much as CAFE to discontinuation in US? Of course that doesn't absolve owners of their responsibilities for proper care, especially in northern states that see a lot of snow, with resulting road salt and other chemicals. Thankfully, snow is infrequent here in Georgia: but we do get a few every year. I know of a couple of car washes that also wash the under carriage and take my 11TT there for 3 consecutive washes after snow is gone!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts