Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to this site but a proud FJ owner since April 2006 when they first hit the US (2007 model year). Only 81k on the clock and it looks and runs fantastic. Never a problem, until...

I took it to ziebart yesterday on the advice of my nephew for underbody roster protection - I plead guilty to idiocy about underbody protection - and ziebart called me and said they would not do the work because the frame was too far gone from rust. They said it may not be safely drivable.
What should I do? Anyone have any knowledge of frame replacement costs? This ride is too sweet to have to give it away for salvage value.
IMG_20210604_135135.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Yes a frame replacement is totally doable, there is a lot of labor and don't forget to deal with all of the rest of the underbody parts (suspension, rear axle housing, bumper brackets).

If you do a search on there you'll find several threads by people who have done it, with lots of advice for you in them.

Norm

·
Registered
67 Posts
Q: Is there a class action lawsuit against Toyota for this since so many FJ frames are rotting away? I mean I have cars in our collection from the 1930s and none of the frames ever looked like this. It seems if Toyota recalled the Tacoma frames for these same issues then the FJ should be included too. Does anyone here know if this poor member has any recourse for this besides paying to do this themselves???

·
15,727 Posts
Q: Is there a class action lawsuit against Toyota for this since so many FJ frames are rotting away? I mean I have cars in our collection from the 1930s and none of the frames ever looked like this. It seems if Toyota recalled the Tacoma frames for these same issues then the FJ should be included too. Does anyone here know if this poor member has any recourse for this besides paying to do this themselves???
Yes, there's a FB group for it, but not here. There were a few of them on here, but they got out of hand and the Admin said no more.

·
Registered
2007 FJ 4x4 Automatic
28 Posts
Only 81K on an '07? That's great. If you can swing it, do it. Plenty of us would kill to have only 81K on our '07's.

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
It would be ideal to buy a wrecked (salvage) FJ with little rust and a straight frame and swap all of the parts.

While the frame is off it (and all of the underbody parts) can be painted and waxed to greatly improve over its original rust protection.

BTW, the class action probably won't result in anything much, since most trucks whose frames rust are well over 10 years old (the Tacoma recall (and Tundra / Sequoia service campaign) was for trucks far younger than that, due to a supplier not following the process when coating those particular frames).

·
Registered
451 Posts
First, sorry for your loss, second, if you do find a frame, look into hot dip galvanization, in for a penny, in for a pound. Third NEVER ZIEBART YOUR FRAME.

·
Registered
76 Posts
May I ask what are the rules in the States as regards annual vehicle inspections?

Looking at the rot of the frame would this not have been picked up a few years ago to prevent the dreaded tin worm spreading to that extent!

Perhaps even garge servicing would have brought this to your attention a good few years ago?

That looks like a LandRover frame in the UK!!

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
"May I ask what are the rules in the States as regards annual vehicle inspections?"

None in most states, of any kind. What there are is typically only emissions. New York has an inspection which includes things like brakes and lights but even than pales beside what is done in the UK, where the brakes are evaluated on a rolling dyno and the frame is inspected for corrosion.

Driving in the US you'd be appalled at the condition of some of the cars on the road!

·
Registered
76 Posts
"May I ask what are the rules in the States as regards annual vehicle inspections?"

None in most states, of any kind. What there are is typically only emissions. New York has an inspection which includes things like brakes and lights but even than pales beside what is done in the UK, where the brakes are evaluated on a rolling dyno and the frame is inspected for corrosion.

Driving in the US you'd be appalled at the condition of some of the cars on the road!

That is alarming!

There are other countries that have stricter regulations than the UK but sadly those images prove then that regular inspections of your vehicle, especially on the underside are essential.

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,159 Posts
I don't know what shocked my friends from Australia more, the whole lack of regulation/inspection or the condition of many of our rust belt vehicles. Oddly, at the same time Ohio was obsessively concerned about the enforcement of speed limits for safety 🙄 (and/or revenue).

Ohio used to have random roadside inspections where they checked the mirrors, horn, indicators, brakes, tread.
That ended ages ago. There is emissions testing in Cleveland area counties, but only if your vehicle is 5-25 years old.

I bought my FJ out of state, and it was required by PA to included both an annual emissions check and an annual safety check. The safety inspection listed chassis, suspension, electrical, glazing, fuel & exhaust systems, plus a laundry list of other things. If well enforced, this is probably a bit closer to what some other countries require.

Anyway, land of the free, home of the rusty rattle trap.

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
I agree. Grew up on NY and there were little family owned gas stations on every corner (the really neat looking ones built during the heyday of the Auto) which instead of being turned into a plastic and glass box that sells only cigarettes, soda and junk food were still working as car neighborhood repair shops. Part of that was because of the regular revenue from inspecting all of the cars in the area.

When I moved to the midwest I was:
#1 astonished at the condition of the cars
#2 met folks who would be more than happy to recount how, "oh car inspections? Yeah, we tried 'em here but it was so corrupt was quickly shut down."

Clearly the NE states with them are not immune to unsafe cars, or corruption, but the system works up to a certain point, and as shown in other countries, can help the motorist catch issues earlier than otherwise.

Additionally, I'd much rather have a functioning auto repair shop on my street corner than a junk food/crap store.

In general, the most important thing that a auto owner can do, one who wants their vehicle to last as long as possible, is to get under it at least once a year (or twice, if swapping snow/summer tires) and check things over. CV boots, and drive belts on their way out, burnt out lightbulbs, rust underneath, brakes condition. Simple, visual checks mostly.

When I moved to Detroit I saw more cars abandoned on the side of the road each day while driving into work, than I'd ever seen in New York, and most of the time they were relatively new cars.

Norm

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Voodoo Blue, 6 Speed Manual w/Full Time 4WD, Fully Loaded, ORIGINAL OWNER
4 Posts
That is some serious frame cancer! Replacing a frame is typically not financially smart. Many times frames can be repaired, find your self an autoshop or bodyshop with a skilled welder, have them clean off the rust and TIG weld in hardened steel patch plates.

I'm a newbie to this site but a proud FJ owner since April 2006 when they first hit the US (2007 model year). Only 81k on the clock and it looks and runs fantastic. Never a problem, until...

I took it to ziebart yesterday on the advice of my nephew for underbody roster protection - I plead guilty to idiocy about underbody protection - and ziebart called me and said they would not do the work because the frame was too far gone from rust. They said it may not be safely drivable.
What should I do? Anyone have any knowledge of frame replacement costs? This ride is too sweet to have to give it away for salvage value. View attachment 1164623 View attachment 1164623

Reactions: john.plaza
1 - 20 of 22 Posts