Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new FJ a week ago and have been online reading alot about this great vehicle but have found two common complaints. One is the fender bulge issue that I was aware of a few years ago when I first looked at the FJ and the 2nd issue I find more troubling is the frame rust/rot problem. I was under the assumption that it was a Tacoma and Tundra problem only. Since the FJ is based on the previous gen 4Runner I assumed there wasn't an issue. I owned an '04 Tundra Dbl. Cab and after 3 years the frame looked bad. But I've had three 4Runners, a '99, a '02 and an '05 and they were the best vehicles I've owned. Their frames held up very well, no signs of rust or fatigue. So what gives? Is this a serious problem that I should take action to prevent premature rusting? Has anyone here had Ziebart do an underbody coating and how well does it hold up?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just traded my 2008 FJ with 98K km on it. no issues with the frame. I hose it off every time I wash my truck mind you, and spray the mud and grime from out of the inside of the rails. My buddy does nothing to care for his 2007 FJ and his frame doesnt appear much worse than mine did.

I did the same with my 89 Pickup - Pre Tacoma, had over 550K km on it and the frame was fine

If you let the inside of the frame rails fill with mud no matter which vehicle it is they will rust out because the gunk hold the moisture in.

Personally the frame is by far the least of my worries with the FJ.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts