Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
caliFJ said:
well....id say at least half the folks had their stock rubbers and a few of us had some bfgs in varying sizes. ill let the others tell you how big their rubbers are.....dirka dirka dirka..

anyway,....the folks with the stock rubber did just as well as anyone else there. the terrain did not necessarily require anything heavy doody. i can say that my bfgs have taken everything that ive thrown at them and i like em a lot for the time being. by the time i can afford a lift and stuff ill need new rubber. so sad now.
Dunno Andy's stock rubber let him down a bit on that first climb. AT or MT tires would have definitely helped a lot. For the climb past the rolled Isuzu I would definitely recommend beter than stock tires due to the loose surface, ruts and rocks. But as you said for the rest of the terrian it was just fine, hell bayareabilly even cleared the mud with Dunlops (I think).

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are you guys talking about the hill climb when you enter the park its to the right? Thats the hill climb I busted my front diff on and broke a CV axle. Learned a lesson. Never punch the gas while the tire is in the air because, wat goes up, must come down.

·
Registered
333 Posts
CACressida said:
Are you guys talking about the hill climb when you enter the park its to the right? Thats the hill climb I busted my front diff on and broke a CV axle. Learned a lesson. Never punch the gas while the tire is in the air because, wat goes up, must come down.
Not sure which ones you are refering too, but you can download the GPS track and I can mark the climbs. The ones I'm talking about are very rutted with loose surface adn some smaller rock ledges.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Damn, are those all the trails? Im pretty sure I walked ever trail on Frank Raines with my 4Runner 3 times. I thought there were more. So where the Isuzu rolled over would be at the steep hill climb. Yeah, theres alot of loose terrain up there. I fought with it in my 4Runner at 40psi but managed to make it. Trac got used at the maximum too lol.

·
Registered
333 Posts
CACressida said:
Damn, are those all the trails? Im pretty sure I walked ever trail on Frank Raines with my 4Runner 3 times. I thought there were more. So where the Isuzu rolled over would be at the steep hill climb. Yeah, theres alot of loose terrain up there. I fought with it in my 4Runner at 40psi but managed to make it. Trac got used at the maximum too lol.
Nope those are just the tracks I drove. There are a few more West I believe, and some other ones in between. If only they had a nice map of the place it would be cool.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, Frank Raines needs ALOT supervision... Hell, hire me and i'll do the maps lol. I wish they'd expand some trails deep into the mountains. I'd love to bounce around on bumpy roads in beautiful scenery for hrs lol.

Took me a 3 hr drive to get to here to take pix of this. The camera fell in a stream but i quickly recovered it. But the pix look fuzzy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
bulldog said:
Dunno Andy's stock rubber let him down a bit on that first climb. AT or MT tires would have definitely helped a lot. For the climb past the rolled Isuzu I would definitely recommend beter than stock tires due to the loose surface, ruts and rocks. But as you said for the rest of the terrian it was just fine, hell bayareabilly even cleared the mud with Dunlops (I think).
Yep... made it across with dunlops, or maybe because of my runnerboards/pontoons. :cool:

·
Registered
928 Posts
MissFJ said:
I forgot we took someone's virginity! :eek: :D
Came out with a couple pinstipes hear and there... a lil muddy... dusty...would I do it again... HELL YA. ;) Oh yeah and yes, we used CaliFJ's straps.(pre-emptively)

·
Registered
463 Posts
treknwil said:
So SnoutDog...how long did it take you to get all the mud off the FJ??? :cool:
Or have you even gotten it all off yet?:eek:

Oh and no I didn't take offense to the "short bus" comment on the video...if my wife would have let me my personalized plate would have said SHRTBUS :)
Process - drive through gas station car wash on the way with the undercarriage option selected - waste of time

Garden hose in driveway for 2 hours - entire neighborhood covered in a fine layer of mud:rolleyes:

$20 in quarters and dropped front skid plates - pissed of car wash owner - didn't know it was me but he was hosing out the stall when I drove by later...

After reading sbechtold post I see I need to drop the gas tank side plate and clean a little more... looks like a late night car wash visit tonight.

I figure a few more washing sessions to get everything out - I'll avoid complete submersions in the future... but I won't so NO to mud completely:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
gronch said:
It would be really nice if you fun people could post some information on tires and how they performed. I know it's highly subjective, but that is why I'm here.

That trip looked hella fun. The rest of the country has some catching up to do.
BFGs did not get me out of the deep mud - but I don't think that was the tires fault:rolleyes:

The BFG option for me was more for the durability of sidewalls and overall tire sturdiness for backcountry drives in the sierras. Will I ever test them in something that extreme? I hope so but I'd rather have equipment that is more capable than me than the other way around.

Treknwils Goodyear MT looked great. He is running larger size too. My only question is if I should have waited and gone with larger than stock tires.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
tires? bigger? always.....:D for me it was more a financial debate that i ultimately lost. i guess we do still need to eat. :mad:

bulldaWg - what say ye to a frank raines surveying party at some point? maybe later this summer? you can do all the work while we drive around with you and then you post up the results for everyone else! :D nah......ill bust out the grill and such and we'll party afterwards.....maybe an overnight partee at raines and we'll call it a survey? september/octoberish.

·
Registered
333 Posts
caliFJ said:
tires? bigger? always.....:D for me it was more a financial debate that i ultimately lost. i guess we do still need to eat. :mad:

bulldaWg - what say ye to a frank raines surveying party at some point? maybe later this summer? you can do all the work while we drive around with you and then you post up the results for everyone else! :D nah......ill bust out the grill and such and we'll party afterwards.....maybe an overnight partee at raines and we'll call it a survey? september/octoberish.
I'll never say no to it, just need to check my calendar. See how much we can cover in a day or maybe 2.

Tire thread and construction is more important than size in the end. BFG KO's are a good choice, I prefer Bridgestone Revos as they have better street manners and do really well ofrroad. The problem with street tires are that 1 there sidewalls tend to be a bit soft (puncture easier) and 2 (more important) their thread don't bite in as well as ATs or MTs on poor surfaces like loose gravel, etc. This causes more than just loss of forward progress, but can also cause you to easily slide into ruts, sideways, etc.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Heh, if you guys decide for a BBQ in frank raines, i'd come wheelin with u guys, then go home and camp out in the bedroom then comeback early in the morning to finish wheelin ;) its that nice to live so close.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
CACressida said:
Heh, if you guys decide for a BBQ in frank raines, i'd come wheelin with u guys, then go home and camp out in the bedroom then comeback early in the morning to finish wheelin ;) its that nice to live so close.
We've threathened you with a good time twice now and you haven't shown :rolleyes: Quit being a flaker and show up next time :D:eek::D

·
Registered
846 Posts
MissFJ said:
We've threathened you with a good time twice now and you haven't shown :rolleyes: Quit being a flaker and show up next time :D:eek::D
I got pix of the fresh concrete and the reciept from AMPM concrete that says I was busy 5/20 :)

Don't worry, from now on if theres gonna be another meeting, I aint gonna tell you guys im comming. That way I don't ruin the chance of me comming :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
bulldog said:
I'll never say no to it, just need to check my calendar. See how much we can cover in a day or maybe 2.

Tire thread and construction is more important than size in the end. BFG KO's are a good choice, I prefer Bridgestone Revos as they have better street manners and do really well ofrroad. The problem with street tires are that 1 there sidewalls tend to be a bit soft (puncture easier) and 2 (more important) their thread don't bite in as well as ATs or MTs on poor surfaces like loose gravel, etc. This causes more than just loss of forward progress, but can also cause you to easily slide into ruts, sideways, etc.

I have wheeled with BFG MT's and Goodyear MTR's....the Goodyears sidewall is substantially stronger then any tire I have used before. I am forever sold on MTR's, and those will be what I buy....they are great on the road, and even better off road (when it comes to rock-wheeling, which is my favorite)...

I am down for an overnight campout/bbq/drinkathon; just as long as it does not coincide with any Tacoma wheeling I will do.

121 - 140 of 156 Posts