3,539 Posts
nice write-up ... be safe ...

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
nice write-up ... be safe ...
Thanks! :bigthumb:

I just added a few final notes and photos to the fuel door mod write-up.

I won't be working on Freddie until probably October time frame. I'm back at work and need to save up for the next round of Mods. I'm thinking of a dual battery setup to be ready for my light bar and KCs. How does two Die-Hard Platinums and a Blue Seas changeover/charger switch sound?

I'm also looking at my trailer hook-up and brake controller stuff too. I've got plans for a smaller, lightweight toy hauler rig to take my motorcycle(s) with me on an adventure to the lower 48 next year.

Everyone enjoy what's left of summer and have fantastic Autumn!! :wave:

·
Registered
81 Posts
wow ! pretty impressive build there ! wish I know how to weld :( how much would you charge for a body mount chop ? I'm from Anchorage too and planning to get some Goodyear Duratracs soon...just never had a chance to ask any shops here yet..

by the way..just ordered me the same fuel door from Amazon..I should get it by next week :) thanks for all the install tips..

Rob

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What'd you do to eliminate the gap between the bumpers and body from the body lift?
In the front, after removing all of the outer fascia, you just move the main bumper bar up one bolt hole on the brackets. This amount is perfect for a 1.25" body lift.

In the back, I just jacked the body up carefully and the only thing I could see that changed was that the flat plastic piece of the bumper/step/entry area directly below the rear door now has a slight downward slant to it. Other than that no other changes were made to the bumpers.

I did need to drill a couple new holes in the front inner fender sheet metal to allow the plasic mud/splash panels to fit back on properly around the coilovers, etc.

Hope that helps! :wave:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
wow ! pretty impressive build there ! wish I know how to weld :( how much would you charge for a body mount chop ? I'm from Anchorage too and planning to get some Goodyear Duratracs soon...just never had a chance to ask any shops here yet..

by the way..just ordered me the same fuel door from Amazon..I should get it by next week :) thanks for all the install tips..

Rob
Thanks! :bigthumb:

I would probably do the chop for a pre-agreed upon amount of beer, or some other barter arrangement. I wouldn't be looking to charge a whole lot. :cheers:

The biggest problem would be getting it scheduled because I'm not home in Anchorage most of the time. My job has me away for literally months at a time with out a break. When I do get time off, sometimes I go to the lower 48 to see family, so again I'm gone.

The fuel door is really simple with a few easy mods. It probably takes more time to go to the hardware store than the actuall install does.

Feel free to PM me, and we can see if it might work out. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
814 Posts
In the front, after removing all of the outer fascia, you just move the main bumper bar up one bolt hole on the brackets. This amount is perfect for a 1.25" body lift.

In the back, I just jacked the body up carefully and the only thing I could see that changed was that the flat plastic piece of the bumper/step/entry area directly below the rear door now has a slight downward slant to it. Other than that no other changes were made to the bumpers.

I did need to drill a couple new holes in the front inner fender sheet metal to allow the plasic mud/splash panels to fit back on properly around the coilovers, etc.

Hope that helps! :wave:
Hmm, how do you think this would translate for after market bumpers? Would it be fairly simply to eliminate that gap with aftermarket bumpers?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hmm, how do you think this would translate for after market bumpers? Would it be fairly simply to eliminate that gap with aftermarket bumpers?
I'm sure that the aftermarket bumpers would have some adjustability engineered into them, but would also go from the premise that the amount of adjustability would vary with each manufacturer.

I would find the bumpers that I liked and was considering, then get with the company and ask those questions before I purchased them.

One could always elongate the mounting holes or modify the brackets. It all depends on how it's constructed. I myself am not really afraid to chop up a new part to suit my needs, but I know that a lot of people would not want to do that for a bunch of different reasons.

You would just have to do your homework before buying the bumper(s). :bigthumb:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm sure that the aftermarket bumpers would have some adjustability engineered into them, but would also go from the premise that the amount of adjustability would vary with each manufacturer.

I would find the bumpers that I liked and was considering, then get with the company and ask those questions before I purchased them.

One could always elongate the mounting holes or modify the brackets. It all depends on how it's constructed. I myself am not really afraid to chop up a new part to suit my needs, but I know that a lot of people would not want to do that for a bunch of different reasons.

You would just have to do your homework before buying the bumper(s). :bigthumb:

This is if I get a new FJ, my current is pretty much done.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Have you noticed and difference with the truck handling with the new LCA bushings? Is it more solid feel up front? How did you know that you needed the bushing to be replaced? Nice build!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Have you noticed and difference with the truck handling with the new LCA bushings? Is it more solid feel up front? How did you know that you needed the bushing to be replaced? Nice build!
Hey, thanks, I appreciate it! :wave:

My FJ has very low miles on it, and the LCA bushings were not worn or in need of replacement at the time the work was done. I knew that I was going to tear the whole suspension out of it to do the rest of the work, so I decided just to go ahead and install the polyurethane bushings at that time.

There was no play or mushiness in the handling before all the work was done, but I can say that it is noticeably stiffer now. I would have to say it is a combination of all the components together that contribute to the feel now, but the polyurethane bushings would certainly add their part to it.

I highly recommend drilling the bushing bosses in the LCAs and tapping them for zerk fittings. That way you can hit them with a grease gun and they'll last a long time. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, not a whole lot got done back in October when I was in town, or in February either because it was just too cold to mess with much of anything. Here's the list of stuff that's on-deck and waiting to be installed next rotation.

Smittybilt X20 12K winch
Road Rhino weld-it-yourself winch bumper kit
Spydertrax wheel spacers (FT & RR)
Midland 1001LWX 40 channel CB unit
BozTec SS mount
Firestik 3' antenna with coax
Firestik HD SS spring and QD mount
Two Amerex fire extinguishers, one 2.5 Lb ABC dry-chem, one 5 Lb BC Sodium-Bicarb, both with Drake Off-Road CNC alloy quick-release mounting brackets

I also got the Off-road base for my Hi-Lift jack, along with a Daystar handle isolator, web/hook lift thingie, and Rock Rail lift adaptor for the Hi-Lift . I just need to get some Hi-Lift mounting brackets for my roof rack.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I chose the Road Rhino weld-it-yourself winch bumper kit for a couple different reasons. One, it was less expensive, and two, I thought it looked good and the fact that it was a kit would allow me to make modifications to it during the installation if I wanted to. I plan to bend up and install my own grille-guard/stinger combo once the bumper is on.

Oh yeah, it is American made too! Elijah, the owner and proprietor at Road Rhino in Illinois, handled my order personally over the phone. The whole thing came well packaged and wrapped up like a mummy all the way to Alaska with no problems. Great customer service, and I recommend them! :bigthumb:

The Road Rhino bumper looks very similar in design to the Road Armor bumper for comparison.

In my photos, I have the winch sitting on the inside of the bumper center section with the mounting brackets placed for reference. The Army Green FJ has one of the finished bumpers on it. (Nice rig BTW)

I think it's going to be really nice when completed. As usual, I'll post photos as the build progresses. :wave:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Is the bumper finished?
Also-What are those cameras in your signature for?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I don't think they are cameras. I think they are googly eyes.....

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Is the bumper finished?
Also-What are those cameras in your signature for?
I just returned from my remote job assignment out in the Aleutians on Saturday, so I haven't started on the bumper install yet. :blueblob:

If you are referring to the eyes in my signature photo, those are just a couple googlie craft eyes I stuck in the logo for fun. My Granddaughter likes it, and I'm just a goofball at heart. :spineyes:

I am also starting to upload all my build photos that were dumped when the "new look" was implemented. That may take a while. Thanks for looking, and check back soon to see the pix! :wave:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Kinda funny how those photos showed back up, :surprise but hey, cool, it saves me a lot of time and aggravation! Thanks Forum web-genius Gurus! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Got the Spidertrax wheel spacers installed the other day. Used red Loctite on the spacer lugs and a dab of anti-seize on the main lugs. All went smoothly and it runs out well with no vibrations or shimmies up to around 80 Mph. It still rubs the chopped body mounts though. I guess more chopping is in order! :lol:

Sorry for no photos.

Still waiting to do the front bumper and winch. I've got a lot on my plate for this break. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'm in Arizona for Christmas and New Years, and alas, my FJ is not. However, My new Warrior flat rack arrived yesterday! :clap:

The shipping on large/heavy items like the rack up to Alaska is just crazy expensive, so I'm having stuff sent to the house here in AZ. I'm planning a road-trip in the early summer, and will pick up stuff down here at that time. It will give me a chance to explore some trails in Arizona that I've been wanting to check out.

Lord willing, I will be able to purchase my roof-top tent and awning by then to do some adventure camping. That's the main reason I got my rig anyway, and I'm really excited to get to this point. :rocker:

41 - 60 of 85 Posts