Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are in SoCal and would like to change the color of your grill, bumper wings, mirrors door handles or other items, PM me. I'll show you how, just buy the supplies.

·
Registered
194 Posts
lol dude, I was gonna do it myself next weekend... I'm in Pismo, so I'm a bit far from you... Can you post your how-to here and show the pics of the goods done so I can attempt at a replica of your work from the comfort of my home and my tank of gas still full from not having to drive down to you? :D

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I guess with 3000 posts you finally figured out how to use that "start new thread" button, hahaha.

Hey godfather, there are a LOT of how to threads on how to paint all of the gear FJfunjunkie is talking about. From how to remove the part of interest, to painting methods.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I guess with 3000 posts you finally figured out how to use that "start new thread" button, hahaha.

Hey godfather, there are a LOT of how to threads on how to paint all of the gear FJfunjunkie is talking about. From how to remove the part of interest, to painting methods.
I know, but I want to do it from the FunJunkie's thread only! :jester:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yu guys are funny!!, GF I would also just check another thread for specific steps, I've already done my rig and some others but I have no pictures of the step by step process. I can however answer specific questions if you have them. Here's the last one we did. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-tech/60117-white-out-fjinob-s-manpurple.html
I want to thank The others who payed it forward and taught me the tricks by showing others how easy it is.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yu guys are funny!!, GF I would also just check another thread for specific steps, I've already done my rig and some others but I have no pictures of the step by step process. I can however answer specific questions if you have them. Here's the last one we did. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-tech/60117-white-out-fjinob-s-manpurple.html
I want to thank The others who payed it forward and taught me the tricks by showing others how easy it is.
So no sanding needed?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, just clean the heck out of it with naptha first and make sure you use plastic paint, either krylon or rust o leum makes the best I've found. if you cant find plastic paint use an adhesion promoter on the areas before painting, it kinda softens the existing paint to allow the new paint to stick and not peel later on.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nope, just clean the heck out of it with naptha first and make sure you use plastic paint, either krylon or rust o leum makes the best I've found. if you cant find plastic paint use an adhesion promoter on the areas before painting, it kinda softens the existing paint to allow the new paint to stick and not peel later on.
Cool thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

LOL HAHAAH its amazing what 3000 posts will teach you and a bunch of lip from another member.....

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hah, people get so bent up over nothing. The old "arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics" will always apply. Oh well. I'm just here to try to help out and have fun once in a while.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question for you cuz I'm a noob at painting. I see some people paints are very dull and some are very shinny. I what that shinny look. How do it get it to shine?
ere are different types of paint finish. You will need to by a gloss finish instead of a flat finish paint. the spray can cap usually is in the same finish as the paint so look for a shiny cap then make sure it says gloss and plastic paint on it. also it is a good idea to get a gloss clear coat to really set it off. after you paint it the color you want and let it dry, spray a layer of clear on it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hah, people get so bent up over nothing. The old "arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics" will always apply. Oh well. I'm just here to try to help out and have fun once in a while.:rocker:
Not to burst your bubble....(yes I saw the original thread) but aren't you a tad short of 3K?

And will you help me trim mine out in pink? :pinklove:

Just kidding.:blah:

·
Registered
194 Posts
So which paint best replicates the shin and look of the stock black plastics?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Question for you cuz I'm a noob at painting. I see some people paints are very dull and some are very shinny. I what that shinny look. How do it get it to shine?
I use krylon fusion for plastics satin black. This is like a flat black. If you want it to be more of a reflective color, apply two coats of clear. This is what i do to mine.

Also, i suggest sanding down with 400 grit until there is no more shine on the original finish.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use krylon fusion for plastics satin black. This is like a flat black. If you want it to be more of a reflective color, apply two coats of clear. This is what i do to mine.

Also, i suggest sanding down with 400 grit until there is no more shine on the original finish.
Thanks Layonnn... I think I'm going the all white route. :cheers:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ah, man, I've been wanting to black mine out, but I just haven't taken the time to do it. Too bad I only live like, 1200 miles away. Could ya swing by here and help me out FjFunJunkie? Couldja couldja? :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts