Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fresno Area Trail Run 7/19 or 7/20 UPDATED with Pictures

UPDATE: pics added to post 8 and post 12

I know there's a lot happening this weekend, but I'm looking at hitting a trail SAT or SUN just outside of Fresno. I'd like to put a feeler out there for anyone else that would like to come along and see what the central Sierras has to offer.

Here's a link to some information about the area:

Sierra National Forest - Recreation, Off-highway Vehicles

These are all about an hour or so outside of Fresno up highway 41 or 168.

I'm trying to experience all of these trails here over the rest of the summer so I can put together a more organized trail run out here next fall or spring.

I've done Bald Mountain a number of times, but would like to try something different this weekend. But, I could always fall back on this one if someone would like to. Most of these areas are near gas stations and small mountain markets. There's even air available in Shaver if we go that way, I also will have a small compressor.

If anyone is interested let me know if you have a trail preference or difficulty level. Also let me know if you'd be interested in a future date. This area is amazing and the weather is perfect.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd like to go, but that's almost 200 miles away from me. Sorry bud. Have fun!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to go, but that's almost 200 miles away from me. Sorry bud. Have fun!
No worries David. Like I said I now it was last minute but I figured I'd throw it out there. I'd like to plan a future event over here, but would like to pick the best trails/area for it. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya sorry guys for the last minute post.

potatomutato - September would be a good time to shoot for, weather permitting. We typically will start seeing snow around that time. I'm going to make a couple more runs over the next couple months to scout out trails that would make it worth the trip for you guys. I'll post some pics of this weekend's trip here in next couple of days.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here's some pics from my run on Sat. Ended up on the Shuteye OHV Route that lead up to an active Fire Lookout station. Brian, the lookout, took the time to point out some of the finer points of 360 degree panoramic view. Great trip seemed like a pretty straight forward moderate run. Ran into a couple of dirt bikes and a well equipped H1 along the way. The view at the top made the drive totally worth it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll keep you posted, and I'll make sure I give you more notice next time. There a number of great trails up in this area and most of them are complete hidden gems. On this trail the temps were in the low 70's and there was still a little patch of snow left on the ground.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice! is that white bark vista?

thanks for the photos DocME! beautiful area.
No, this was Shuteye Peak. It is located just North East of Bass Lake off Central Camp Road. My friend recommended it based on a review in a book mapping out the area. I'll see if I can get a scan of the map I'm using.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts