Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my hands on my dream car. I must admit I was on a hunt for an 07-09 Voodoo blue FJ but I ended up getting my hands on a 2014 Army Green beauty!
Only ever housed in California, 75k miles which means daily driver regular use. It was too hard to resist!

I plan on modding this baby up, would appreciate some advice/recommendations!
Planned Usage: Daily driver with occasional camping/off road trips.

Here is my current list items I plan to get and it keeps on growing: Google Doc
As for what to get first I was thinking of getting the TRD intake and Exhaust, any thoughts?
Eventually I would like to work towards suspension (I'm a complete newbie and would appreciate some help here).

20201227_103222.jpg
20201227_103236.jpg
20201227_103300.jpg
20201227_103330.jpg
20201227_103353.jpg
20201227_103407.jpg
20201227_103505.jpg
20201227_103739.jpg
20201227_103833.jpg
20201227_103857.jpg

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
40,175 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: fssbchico

·
Premium Member
13,556 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
17,041 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Aloha and welcome from Hawaii!

In regards to the intake, if you plan on doing dusty trails its better to stick to paper filters, OEM being the best. The reusable filters and cone filters don't trap the dust and fine particles like the paper filters do. I normally run a K&N for daily use, and switch to the OEM filter when offroading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aloha and welcome from Hawaii!

In regards to the intake, if you plan on doing dusty trails its better to stick to paper filters, OEM being the best. The reusable filters and cone filters don't trap the dust and fine particles like the paper filters do. I normally run a K&N for daily use, and switch to the OEM filter when offroading.
Good to know! I planned on going with some K&Ns but didn't think twice about swapping out for trails, appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,262 Posts
Hi fssbchico, welcome from Ohio!

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,891 Posts
I like Jelly Donuts

Reactions: ALB

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Welcome. To address your questions and your google doc list. A couple thoughts:

• Save your money on TRD intake and TRD exhaust. Wont add any noticeable HP.
  • Look at the Raptor Tune rather than Pedal Commander (or Pedal Commander after you have installed Raptor tune if still needed).
  • Look at adding skid plates or protection to underside,
  • I see lots of potential money on lighting on your list . Not sure why. I find my 2010 FJ headlights and other lighting to be worlds ahead of what I owned previously. Full disclosure, I think it is a bad idea to 4 wheel in the dark and plan wisely to avoid it for the most part. Once in a blue moon I might still be looking for a camping spot as night closes in. I ride dirtbikes a lot more than wheel and the same rule applies to that activity.
  • Automatic rear (side) windows seem like a good idea until it comes to the execution of that idea. Rear window opener just lets in a lot of dust and can let in exhaust depending on conditions. I will admit that it is nice to get airflow with rear hatch window without getting all the buffeting of air that you get with it closed.
Anyhow, all just personal opinion and lots of others here feel differently, but you did ask for input in your original post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcomes, I don't think I'll have enough donuts for everyone 😂

@SilvFx All opinions are welcomed here! Thank you for taking the time to provide insightful feedback.

• Look at the Raptor Tune rather than Pedal Commander
    • I'm definitely interested in the raptor tune like you mentioned (Link).
    • Have you done this yourself? How difficult was the process and how noticeable were the changes?
  • Save your money on TRD intake and TRD exhaust. Wont add any noticeable HP.
    • Are you implying that I keep it stock or is there an alternate recommendation?
  • Look at adding skid plates or protection to underside,
    • Definitely plan on it! I just haven't done much research on them yet, any recommendations?
As for the additional lights and automatic windows, they're listed as potential options down the line as "nice to have" but not needed.
Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts