Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Like a lot of newbies introducing themselves, I've been after an FJ for approximately a year now and finally pulled the trigger. Long story short, I previously owned a Tacoma. I sold it in 2016 to get a 2014 Jeep Rubicon. I loved the Rubicon, I really did, but the deeper I got into the Rubicon the more I wanted to get back in a Toyota and that meant an FJ. So, in early July I decided to put the Rubicon up for sale. I sold it in 2 days and really ratched up my search for an FJ. I drove several locally, but I actually ended up finding one here in the FS section (I don't see the link right now, but if I find it again, I'll link it up). It's a Black 2007. I was hoping to find something 2010 and up w/ lower mileage, but this only had 35k on it and condition was so pristine I just couldn't pass it up. So I bought a plane ticket and then drove 7 hours back home in my new FJ.

As far as I go, I've been a member of various other forums under the same user name since the early 2000s. My pride and joy is a 1988 Mitsubishi Starion I spent 6 years restoring. If you're at all interested, my build thread is here: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=136464

I'm not sure what all plans I have for the FJ yet, but I look forward to becoming a contributing member here over time and learning from all of you that have been at this for much longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked it up for 22k. It was listed here for 24.8 for about a month. Some people had replied to the thread before I saw it. I figured when I called they would tell me it was sold already, but he only had some flaky tire kickers express any interest, so I jumped on it.

Only thing I've done so far is install a Toyota OEM hitch. I have a trailer and I mountain bike a lot, and this one didnt have the towing package.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Only thing I've done so far is install a Toyota OEM hitch. I have a trailer and I mountain bike a lot, and this one didnt have the towing package.
Did you find it difficult to install?

Welcome from Iowa!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Congrats and what a great find!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you find it difficult to install?

Welcome from Iowa!
Not really. I think it took me about 30 to 45 minutes to install. The only thing goofy is there is one hole that is smaller in diameter than the rest on the hitch. Toyota's instructions say to put a bolt through that hole first - I guess it's supposed to be a centering bolt. However, no matter how I pried or leveraged I could not get the hole to line up with the threads in my bumper. So, I ended up reaming that hole out a bit with a grinder. After that is was smooth sailing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your awesome find! 35k miles, nice! We're all interested in seeing what you do with it.

Also, a Starion!! I haven't seen one (in-person) in perhaps 25 years. I've followed JNC for years, and I'm trying to rationalize a way to buy an old Datsun pickup 'for my kids' to share during their teen years.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi techboy, welcome from central Ohio!
Always great to hear a fjcruiserforums.com success story.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the welcome guys!!

I said in my initial post I wasn't sure what plans I had yet, but I do have 2 immediate things. 1 - I cant stand how high the shift selector is in this thing, so I'm gonna order the correct die tonight and knock that down a few inches like some others have done. And 2 - I'm NOT a fan of not having an oil pressure gauge. I installed one in my Tacoma and pulled it before I sold it, so I think I'll be resurrecting that. Just need to figure where I can tap into. Need to start familiarizing myself with this 4.0L.

·
Admin
6,866 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

:cheers:

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've only had mine a few weeks, but I love it already. I had to give up some tech stuff going from a 14 Rubicon to an 07 vehicle, like Bluetooth, but I'm pretty simple guy, so I dont mind.👍

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome!!

Good you are into restoration and modding - every year the aftermarket stuff for FJs is less. In another ten, you will have to fab your own bumper most likely, just like the other, older FJs.

Mine has 300K+ miles on it, so just run synthetic oil, service the tranny and gears - it will just go and go and go....

The worst part of the FJ is the crappy-ass bumpers - they are 100% plastic fakery, so if you are going anywhere near trees and rocks, recommend you do those first.

Enjoy - I lurked here for years and joined when my ride hit 300K - because it's finally broken in just right...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts