Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me first start by saying this is not a job for the squeamish or impatient. It takes a while and alot of blood, sweat and beers. We started around 12 noon. The first step is to remove the Oh Sheet handles, mirror, visors and upper door hitch covers.

next remove the A pillar inside covers

then pull down the rubber door seals. start at the corner and pull slowly. thet don't need to be removed completely, just the top and front edge.

Now the front edge of your headliner is easy enought to pull down just enough to get your hand in. You must be careful not to pull down too hard or you will kink the liner near the top corner of the clamshell door, a small crease will be visable about 2 inches long but this will smooth out when you reinstall the headliner.
Now you have enough room to slip your hand in and put a towel up top so you can catch the metal shavings. also you will see the inner support brace that you DO NOT want to drill through.

Once you find your drill point it's time to stuff the rag up there and drill.

once you get the hole drilled to the correct size, pull out the shaving catching towel.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
the hole

and one from the inside, you can see the cross support towards the rear of the hole.

DO NOT USE SILICONE SEALANT, it eats wire shielding, use this roof flashing compound or butal rubber.

FJVP sealing the threads on the 3/4 fitting

the first step of wiring was to wrap the harness in electrical tape to make it look clean and also be more manageable.

The roof fitting is sealed and in place. now comes the long and tedious part.

The wiring

The backup lights are installed

installing the relays in front of the battery

Tim removed the small plug in the middle and replaced it with a grommet which the harness is now fed through.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
next you need to run the wires, that missing silver piece just pops of with a little reverse pressure then the wires are fed up and next to the inner a pillar then through the roof before connecting them up top.

dinner BBQ break at the fire pit.

it's freakin late but alot to work to do still.

Victory is almost ours

a shot of the clothing optional spa.

and after too many hours and way too many beers, SUCCESS!

the dremmel got loose on me on the right side but it's not as noticable in real life. Also need to vaccuum the crumbs.
Some steps were left out because near the end of the night we just wanted to finish and the camera was not so important. Again If you attempt this project have plenty of time, beer and knowledgeable helpers around. BIG MAHALO to all who helped.:rocker:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Looks good! Wish I could have made it out to lend a hand and help get rid of some of that beer. I know who to call when I get my roof lights though!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Looks good. Thats what kept ya from checkin out Katchafire. Was it hot under that tent? It was freakin hot here in LA.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
very nice install.Making a Hole in the roof is the way to go when putting lights on the roof.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good. Thats what kept ya from checkin out Katchafire. Was it hot under that tent? It was freakin hot here in LA.
Brah we stay fullerton that day, whoa was it hot!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Man what a great day that was...I'm saving my pennies now...not for lights but for beer...I know how much these guys can drink! haha It was a great time guys and thanks for hosting Tim...Mike you know me...anytime you need help brotha, I'm here to help and learn in the process!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Great job Mike. I'll be trying my hand at this in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nice Pics Mike....It's like dejavu all over....I have nightmares of rooftop light installs now!

But that was a frickin good time, hot of course but quenched with the cold ones.

If anyone wants to attempt this, like Mike said, plan on at least 6-8 hours to do it right. I can help if you need it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nice job. :rocker:

I debated for a while on drilling a hole for my lights but I was too much of a wuss and ran the wires down the rear door jam.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys talk funny. Hey, any pics of the roof where the wiring comes out the top? Nice work!
I'll post that one up today, There is one of the fitting installed, but now it has wires comin out of it and wrapped in that black ribbed wire tubing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts