Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 front seat transplant to the 2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE.

What did those run ya? And how much of a difference in comfort? Good looking with the black leather and red stitching for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Are the air bags in the seats plug-n-play?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
What did those run ya? And how much of a difference in comfort? Good looking with the black leather and red stitching for sure!

$200/each.
The bottom are a little bit higher and much comfortable that the FJ seats.
The power seat adjustments are a plus. I'm missing the arm rest.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
$200/each.

The bottom are a little bit higher and much comfortable that the FJ seats.

The power seat adjustments are a plus. I'm missing the arm rest.

I would miss the arm rest too! That’s been one of my concerns with 4Runner and Lexus GX460 seats.
I haven’t found any that have arm rests because they both have center consoles.
I’m thinking about just taking my stock seats to an upholstery shop and have them modified and recovered. I’ve been told that a good upholstery guy can strip them down to the frames and do all kinds of stuff, lumbar support, heat and cooling, different shaped bolsters, etc.. I just found a guy and looked over a dozen or so photos of his work, but haven’t contacted him yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If anyone in the LA area is looking for leather 4runner seats, there's a black/grey set at Phoenix Auto Wrecking yard in Wilmington. I didn't get them because of the grey inserts, but they would probably look good in a cement grey FJ. I didn't snap a pic, but they looked like this and seemed to be in very nice condition:

·
Banned
178 Posts
I just purchased a driver seat from a 2013 gx460. Still looking for a good deal on the passenger seat. Some of these recyclers are crazy: $400 for the seat, then want $200 for the headrest +shipping!

Any of you guys that have done this swap before care to share any more info on how the wiring them up went? At minimum I need power to the adjustment setup and would love to get heat and ventilation working.

Any tips on getting these connected?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just purchased a driver seat from a 2013 gx460. Still looking for a good deal on the passenger seat. Some of these recyclers are crazy: $400 for the seat, then want $200 for the headrest +shipping!

Any of you guys that have done this swap before care to share any more info on how the wiring them up went? At minimum I need power to the adjustment setup and would love to get heat and ventilation working.

Any tips on getting these connected?
My driver's seat turned into a rather more epic project than intended after I managed to fry the ECU board built into the seat. So I'm gradually building a replacement using an Arduino, some h-bridges and 3D printed housings. So be careful not to fry the ECU to start with :)

Amongst all that I did note down some information about the connector to the seat. No idea if the connector or pin assignments are the same across different Lexus model years:

2015 Lexus GX460 driver seat connections

·
Banned
178 Posts
My driver's seat turned into a rather more epic project than intended after I managed to fry the ECU board built into the seat. So I'm gradually building a replacement using an Arduino, some h-bridges and 3D printed housings. So be careful not to fry the ECU to start with :)

Amongst all that I did note down some information about the connector to the seat. No idea if the connector or pin assignments are the same across different Lexus model years:

2015 Lexus GX460 driver seat connections
Sorry to hear about frying the ECU. I'd definitely like to avoid that.
Thanks for the sheet outlining the pins. To get power adjustments working, am I understanding correctly that just using pin 1 for 12v and pin 5 for ground should be all that's needed?

What about seatbelt and airbag connectors? I don't have the seats yet and was kind of confused by the various posts here. Are they the same from the FJ to the GX?

Really appreciate you took the time to respond. I'm surprised more that have completed this swap never returned to share details of the wiring in the past couple years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to hear about frying the ECU. I'd definitely like to avoid that.
Thanks for the sheet outlining the pins. To get power adjustments working, am I understanding correctly that just using pin 1 for 12v and pin 5 for ground should be all that's needed?

What about seatbelt and airbag connectors? I don't have the seats yet and was kind of confused by the various posts here. Are they the same from the FJ to the GX?

Really appreciate you took the time to respond. I'm surprised more that have completed this swap never returned to share details of the wiring in the past couple years.
Take all this with a grain of salt, it being what I've pieced together from various Toyota docs. Might all be fiction...

First to your question on wiring for seat motors: yep, if you hook up only 12V and GND the seat motors will work.

The other three FJ-side connectors (helpfully unlabeled) in the sheet are for the airbag etc. You'll need to hook them up to avoid dashboard warning lights. The FJ has connectors for airbag detonator, seat position sensor, and seat belt buckle switches (two seat belt buckle switches, one for the chime and the other as part of the safety system). The Lexus seat doesn't have corresponding connectors. If you still have the FJ seat, easiest way to get the right connectors is to remove the seat belt buckle and wires from the FJ seat and migrate them to the Lexus seat. Bolt is same size and in the same spot and the wires aren't hard to thread under the plastic. That will take care of the airbag and seat belt buckle hookup.

The seat position sensor hooks into the airbag system for it to evaluate which force setting it should use when detonating the driver side airbag, where if the seat is forward it will detonate with the lower setting, further back it'll use the higher setting. There's a dedicated sensor for that on the FJ seat adjacent to the fore/aft rail on the base. That sensor isn't present on the Lexus seat. I'm guessing (really just guessing) that in a Lexus the SRS would get that information from the seat memory system, which isn't present on the FJ. Not sure until I re-mount my Lexus seat whether you can leave that sensor out without triggering warning lights. If not, you'd need to figure out how to mount it on the Lexus seat to perform its proper function, which obviously you'd want to think carefully about because it's part of the control system for the airbags.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts

·
Banned
178 Posts
The driver side seat swap went really well. Thanks to some helpful information from others the whole process, including cleaning the floor, only took about an hour.

Just have power for the seat adjustments right now, climate control will come later. Had to run a power and ground wire, took off the seatbelt and wiring from the FJ seat and transplanted on to the gx460 seat. Airbag plugs right in.

I'll post more install details later, but man can I say the comfort level is night and day difference!

The passenger seat gets delivered tomorrow.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The seat looks good! I'd be curious if it's easy to get the heat and ventilation going.

-B

The driver side seat swap went really well. Thanks to some helpful information from others the whole process, including cleaning the floor, only took about an hour.

Just have power for the seat adjustments right now, climate control will come later. Had to run a power and ground wire, took off the seatbelt and wiring from the FJ seat and transplanted on to the gx460 seat. Airbag plugs right in.

I'll post more install details later, but man can I say the comfort level is night and day difference!

The passenger seat gets delivered tomorrow.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Finished the wiring and install tonight. Have full functions of power adjustment, heating and ventilation, and switch illumination working!

It was a fair amount of time to figure everything out and make up the harness. If I did it again I would make the harness shorter, but I was making up the harness in a workshop away from the FJ and just didn't want to end up being short. In the end I just had to coil the wires up with the A/C amp.

Soon I will be posting the diagrams and a spreadsheet I made of all the plugs and connection pinouts to help anyone in the future to complete this project.
One note for anyone contemplating the swap: Try to get the vehicle side connectors with your donor seats and switches. I purchased a center console with switches from a GX460 and was glad I did.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is a lot of hassling around to fit in seats that cost a couple of grand in the first place. I went to local upholstery shop with my Hell*****, and they told me they can basically rework my seats any way I want for $800-900 each, including electric adjustments. The seat heaters are just ridiculous here in Texas, so I never bothered. The seat guy recommended that if I want a seat cooler, the simple solution was for him to just put a HO fan under the seat blowing upwards towards the "buttocks area", since the FJ A/C is plenty good.

Mine is used as a utility vehicle (I got 40 acre farm) a lot, and then we fish and hunt out of it. The biggest issue is any seat takes a beating due to sweat and fish slime and offal - they stink after a couple years of this and the only fix was new seats. So I did, and now they stink again.

The upholstery guy suggested I recover them with boat seat material - basically non-porous so the stink doesn't set into fabric. Then run seat covers like Wet Okole that can be washed every year or so.

He quoted me $300 each to recover the seats with boat material, and he said he could overpad it where I want no problem. He also said he could glue the foam onto the armrests instead of the form fit Toyota used, so the foam stays in place instead of shifting around under the covers. I already got the Wet Okole - so I am thinking about this as a Springtime thing in 2020.

I also just had the seat motors go out in my 7.3L TD F-250 farm truck. Getting those replaced is not cheap, and makes me shy away from the whole fancy seat thing because the Hell***** is used very hard - I have shied away from anything like power seats for that reason alone. But I do think my old buttocks could use more padding than what these old sets have...

But hey - you guys wanting all the fancies is great - I always love learning there are options, even if they don't suit what I do with mine!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Finished the wiring and install tonight. Have full functions of power adjustment, heating and ventilation, and switch illumination working!
Excellent work! You did it the right way: planning it out and building a harness. I only kinda-sorta went that way without stopping to fully plan, which ended up taking longer and still isn't finished.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts