Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed everyone puts wheel spacers on their trucks for clearance issues. Is this for the front only? Does anyone space the rear as well? Is it carzy to just space the front vs front and rear?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
yes typically installed front and rear if wheel offset is the same. IMO would look goofy if not at all four corners.
FWIW 1.25 ST spacers made my front rub on the body mounts with the stock 17 alloy and 285/70 Cooper STT.
no issues with the rears pre or post.

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
I ran four spacers and saw a drop in MPG so I took them off of the driving rear wheels last weekend. Will see.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Without them on in the rear, won't you get this type of effect? Maybe not so extreme, but the same odd look.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I used the sapcers on my FJ to push the wheels out further so when crawling past a tree, the tires would hit the tree before my upper fenders...

:thinkerg:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I ran four spacers and saw a drop in MPG so I took them off of the driving rear wheels last weekend. Will see.
I would be interested to know if this is what is affecting your drop in mileage. My mileage is pretty poor right now, averaging around 16mpg. I cant see how a wheel spacer could cause any significant drop in mileage? I have spidertrax 1.25"s on mine just for a slightly wider look with the stock BFG AT's. Before leveling the front mine would rub at full crank. Once I get larger tires I will likely take them off. Maybe this is causing a slight drop in mileage for me too as Im basically 100% stock with the exception of a Body Armor front bumper, the wheel spacers, & adjustable coilovers set to level the front.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I am suprised to here this... I wouldn't think spacers would lower your gas milage. Been running 1.25 on mine for a while but I did wheels and tires at the same time so going from 265/70/16 to 33/12.5/17 made a difference for sure.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I can see there being a mileage dif' if the tires are pushed out past the wheel well... maybe... ?...

:thinkerg:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can we maybe say that having the tires pushed out past the fenders is causing some extra wind drag?

Just a thought.:habbobuggs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts