Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the rig is going in tomorrow to have the drivers side (left) front axle seal replaced. I brought it to the dealership tonight and went to start it and my starter is deciding to be tempermental. This was not the first time. It started acting up three days ago. It's like there's a flat spot on the starter. Could it be mud/water related? My FJammer also has a mind of its own lately. WTF!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
sorry about your issues slither, if your dealership is as good as mine, you will have no problems getting these 3 issues taken care of,, i would also tell them about the radio.. good luck Bud!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
hope they figure it out for you

·
Registered
834 Posts
damn slither sorry, might because of mud hmm i know one hole that could of caused some damage wink, wink.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've taken the starter out before, and found that muddy water had gotten inside the solenoid. It wasn't difficult to open the solenoid up and clean the contacts. Works fine now.

I did this after a bad dealership wanted to sell me a new one for an inflated price.

One hint though: if you this, remove the starter from the top of the engine. I banged my knuckles for 20 minutes trying to take it out from undrneath. It doesn't fit that way.

good luck,

john

Link to thread on procedure:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance-maintenance-tech/36665-starter-removal-repair.html

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Very nice write up John. I bookmarked it.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the good news is it's all being warranteed. The bad news is they didn't get any other parts they may have damaged repairing the axle seal. The service manager called me yesterday and said they needed to order the retainer seal as well and they should have it tomorrow AM( this was yesterday morning) so I can get my rig back for today. That's when they said they ordered me a new starter as well. My dealer didn't even question the parts failure. It pays to keep your rig clean with the exeption of a couple rock dings on the sliders and some pin stripes you'd never know the evil places it's been!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts