Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a new front bumper for my FJ. I can't decide between the ARB, Expedition 1 with the single hoop, or the Road Armor with the single hoop. What are you opinions and does anyone have pics of either could you please post them?

I want something to protect my rig if I ever come in contact with a deer.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a new front bumper for my FJ. I can't decide between the ARB, Expedition 1 with the single hoop, or the Road Armor with the single hoop. What are you opinions and does anyone have pics of either could you please post them?

Thanks
Deer - Depends where IT hits you. The damage they cause can be deadly if they jump over the hood and hit the windshield. Anyways here's a good start:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/buyers-guides-product-comparisons/39812-front-bumpers-comparisons-buyers-guide.html

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I can't comment on the customer service at Road Armor, but some have had very bad experiences. That said, I love their bumpers. They are very well made, and I think it's the best looking bumper out there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The linked thread in post #2 is an AWESOME thread...its why I love these forums! Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Check out demello.
I haven't heard anything bad about it and it's a little cheaper.

btw, I Googled "demello bumper", not mine. I like 1 hoop better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Exp 1. I really like it, very easy install, great angles, not too heavy, many options for front hoop, good pricing and the people at Exp 1 are great to work with.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Thanks
I bought my bumper because of the deer in my area. But they are nowhere to be found since I got my bumper :) If you look at my build you will see some heavy duty mounting brackets that impressed the hell out of me and I have a video of the bumper slamming into a tree. The bumper is a lot stronger than you would need for it's purposes and you would do just fine with the others.

I also had to go with an aftermarket suspension to support the bumper. Good luck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
x2 on the Demello. Jason will give you the best customer service, no questions asked. IMO the best looking and functioning bumper as well!

I hope I don't get banned. :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I was looking at buying bumpers it boiled down to Demello and ARB. Demello because I liked their functionality, price, look and the company is awesome. ARB because its a bad ass bumper, it's reasonably priced and people stand by it. I chose Demello because they had a good deal for the holiday season but I didn't settle, I chose demello because while it might not be able to take on a deer like the ARB might it is a relativity light weight bumper so you benefit by not having to do much suspension upgrades and your gas mileage won't go farther down as a result of the bumper. The ARB is a fantastic bumper, i'm not bashing it, it is just a heavy bumper and it's going to weigh your front end down and make your FJ less economical.

I'm sure that you'll love any bumper you end up getting!

My .02

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have the ARB and I love it.... You won't regret getting this bumper

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the OME 883 front springs in the front. I'm guessing this will take care of the extra weight from any of the bumpers.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I have the OME 883 front springs in the front. I'm guessing this will take care of the extra weight from any of the bumpers.
883's are the lightest OME springs. Designed to be a "level" lift. They won't take much weight on the front end as far as I know. With those you should be looking at Aluminess products.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Try All Pro or Demello. ARB is serious over kill and looks like a tank.
Try the ToyOutfitters custom tube for strong light weight construction...

·
Registered
619 Posts
If all you are looking for is deer protection, then the ARB would be a great choice for you. It's stinkin' huge. That being said, it's one of the heaviest bumpers out there. So you really need to include a few more things in your thought process.

Will you lift?
Do you want a winch?

Keep weight in mind... winch+bumper= a lot of metal. That will influence your ride and if you are still on a stock suspension your front end will seriously sag.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I went with the Demello single hoop. It was the lightest bumper that I could find at the time. But don't confuse light with lack of strength. This is one tough bumper. The folks at DO are great to deal with. I'm way up in Canada so it had to come a long way. It arrived at my door without a scratch. It was protected very well for shipping. They know with shipping companies they have little control over damage so they go the extra mile in protecting the product. There are a lot of good front bumpers out there for the FJ. Just make sure you have all your criteria in mind for what you want and make your decision. Happy shopping. :rocker:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know Ace had the arb and he didn't like it at all.
He'll tell you from personal experience that he like the expedition one much better.
Oh and let us know what your final decision is!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ok personal thoughts on bumper, I looked at ARB because it is deer worthy...but the weight is not good. The mod of the after market bumper makes me question the safety factor of the unibody construction. The hard bumper can actually transfer more force to the vehicle and to you as the driver because the bumper will not give like the oem one is designed too...I finally decided to skip this mod as we don't rockcrawl too ofter, would love to add the ARB with winch but just cant justify the potential danger of being hurt worse from a bad accident if the vehicle doesnt crush like its supposed to.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ok personal thoughts on bumper, I looked at ARB because it is deer worthy...but the weight is not good. The mod of the after market bumper makes me question the safety factor of the unibody construction. The hard bumper can actually transfer more force to the vehicle and to you as the driver because the bumper will not give like the oem one is designed too...I finally decided to skip this mod as we don't rockcrawl too ofter, would love to add the ARB with winch but just cant justify the potential danger of being hurt worse from a bad accident if the vehicle doesnt crush like its supposed to.
I'm pulling this from the sky but I would assume that if you want the crush zone to do its job how it's supposed to then don't get an aftermarket bumper. I would think that the strength up front would compromise the crush zone no matter what.

Please feel free to correct me as I know that i'm probably wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts