Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry i may have had this in the wrong section, so ill try here.

Re: 2010 Army green

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok over 6 months now and thinking about the next stage for my DD and trail / beach runner.
reviewing all the options and threads regarding suspension, between ToyTec and Icon front adj coilovers will i be twice as happy with ICON? as they are about 2x the cost.
keep in mind i do not want to lift the FJ, here is the plan, new front and rear bumpers, (still deciding brands) and winch. so i want to keep close to stock height with the added weigth and a good ride! i love the ride currently. i am not building a extreme rock crawler or mudder, i have some of those already.
also plan to go with 285x70x17 tires on stock wheels. leaning towards KM'2's. I got a set of 35's for my F150 and love these tires!
thanks for input on suspension.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I guess I am confused, you want to add bumpers, winch and larger tires but keep the stock height? Any of the aftermarket coil overs will give you a better ride than stock. Plenty of peeps are happy with their Toytec coil overs, I love my SAWs and have friends that love the Icons and WEs. The larger the shock inside the coil over the better they dissipate heat, if you are going to be running on the beach with bumpers and a winch then I suggest you get a larger coil over like the SAW, Icon or Walker Evans.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i forgot about SAW. your post brought up some good questions. Do you think i should skip aftermarket bumpers as this is light trail / beach use rig? maybe instead a Lycrum winch mount in stock bumper?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Take a look at the Metal Tech or Rockteck bumper that is available through TRDParts4u. Both of those bumpers are tube type bumpers, can handle a winch and will keep the weight off the front and still provide solid protection.

·
Registered
937 Posts
reviewing all the options and threads regarding suspension, between ToyTec and Icon front adj coilovers will i be twice as happy with ICON? as they are about 2x the cost

Two very different animals and why the price difference. Bilstein struts are still struts, they can not be rebuilt, tuned or internally adjusted. ICON, SAW, KING, FOX these are true Coil Overs (coil over shocks) that can be tuned, internally adjusted, rebuilt etc. All four of these companies also stock and support their products if you ever needed a spare part, shaft, top cap, body etc.

The other advantage is the true coil over can be set up for extended travel if you use an aftermarket upper control arm. This is not possible with a strut unless that strut was originally made longer, most are not as they are designed for an OE type applications by the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
As to cost vs economy (keeping the design and function you want to see on your rig) you usually get what you pay for. I've seen a lot of people brag on the forum over the years about how they paid next to nothing for a part -- and it turns out that's just what they ended up with. So they buy the better part, having learned the lesson and having already shelled out money the first time.

It's happened to me too. :worried:

Once bitten - twice shy!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Here is a starter FJ Cruiser Lift Writeup. After looking through it you should give Metal Tech a call to talk about your options and to you help decide what is the best setup for your plans. Lots of ways to go and the guys at Metal Tech have the experience to help walk you through most of them (pluses and minuses of each setup).

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the good info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts