Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock 6x9's with the stock dash 3.5 speakers. I wanted to upgrade the 3.5's. I know the stock ones are 8ohm wired parallel with the 6x9's. If I drop a pair of 4ohm 3.5's would it sound better? What ohms would I be running?
I have a Kenwood hu giving about 50w max per channel.
If someone has done this I would love ur feedback.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh no, mixing 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers, disaster!! You will experience "unintended sudden acceleration" and your floor mats will mysteriously become wedged onto the accelerater.

No, but seriously, just hook them up and you will be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6x9's and 3.5's came wired parallel from factory (4 and 8 ohm resp). So if i do 4 ohm 3.5's it will sound better? What is the ohm load of 2 4ohm speakers wired parallel?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Parallel Ohms is:
(A X B)/(A + B) or (8 X 4)/(8 + 4) = 2.66 for the stock speakers

(4 X 4)/(4 + 4) if you change dash to 4 ohms. This equals 2ohms. I have an aftermarket Rosen unit (25 watt RMS) and I asked Rosen Tech support about this and they said this:

You will be fine with the existing wiring @ 2.66ohms ,but i will not advise anything below that . If you are thinking of changing speakers, at that point i would consider adding a 4 ch. amp. we sell a 5.0 RCA pre-out harness . Most 4 ch. amps offer 2 ohm stable stereo operation .
Thank you for contacting Rosen Product Support

·
Registered
627 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts