Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my front diff had been leaking for some time and not wanting to drop my skids I let it go for a while. I was not driving it but it sat in the driveway leaking for a month or so.

So today I decided to investigate because of the Toyota Jamboree coming up. So I drop the engine skid and what a mess, diff fluid is all over the skid and diff. It looks like it is leaking where the diff separates, needless to say I check the bolts and 3 of them I can unscrew with my fingers. wow right how in the heck do bolts from the factory just come loose.

I tightened every thing down again and will see in a few days if the leak has been sealed. Has anyone else ever had this same issue. I have a 2007 with about 70,000 miles. the diff has never been worked on at all until now so the bolts had to be loose from the factory.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I had an old 4runner that did the exact same thing on the rear diff. I got lucky, tightened up the nuts and the leak went away. I wish you the same luck!:cheers:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so far so good its been 5 or so hours and its not leaking.

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL no I did not top if off I changed the fluid completely. I figured it was a good time to do it. Thanks though.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
So my front diff had been leaking for some time and not wanting to drop my skids I let it go for a while. I was not driving it but it sat in the driveway leaking for a month or so.

So today I decided to investigate because of the Toyota Jamboree coming up. So I drop the engine skid and what a mess, diff fluid is all over the skid and diff. It looks like it is leaking where the diff separates, needless to say I check the bolts and 3 of them I can unscrew with my fingers. wow right how in the heck do bolts from the factory just come loose.

I tightened every thing down again and will see in a few days if the leak has been sealed. Has anyone else ever had this same issue. I have a 2007 with about 70,000 miles. the diff has never been worked on at all until now so the bolts had to be loose from the factory.
Yes! I had the same issue on my 07 with 55Kmi. It was the back 3 (if i remember) bolts were finger loose! I tightened them and all has been fine since. That was about 1Kmi ago.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
My guess is that you should be fine with just tightening it up and topping it off. Changing the fluid is just that much better as well. With having not drove it much since it was leaking i think you'll be fine, see ya in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! I had the same issue on my 07 with 55Kmi. It was the back 3 (if i remember) bolts were finger loose! I tightened them and all has been fine since. That was about 1Kmi ago.
Your right Mine was the back three also. Just crazy. glad to know it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Thats exactly why I check every nut n bolt I can see, or get to, after any hard wheeling or before Long road trips! I even go behind and check any work done By The dealer or Offroad shop.. Just to make sure...
Its not a perfect world.. things do get missed, even by the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts