Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well Capt. Rick and I had a Mod day, all of it was pretty much my rig. Scuba'd, rear diff oil change, tranfer case oil change, installed Rasta skids, and when we got to the front Rick noticed fluid dripping from the front diff housing. It looked like it was coming out of a bolt but upon further inspection the seal is leaking at the diff. Everything went well accept for that discovery. Ricks actually looked wet also.
The Rig getting prepped.

Draining the Rear Diff which by the way was clean after fording in some very deep water two weeks ago with no SCUBA mod.

Capt. Rick working on the Scuba Mod

Rasta Aluminum Skids going on

And the kids got to ride their Quads while we worked on the rigs! My daughter Amanda on her Polaris Predator 90cc

I would like to extend a big Thank You to Capt Rick (My wheelin' buddy) for all of his help today. One thing about fellow Fj owners is we're all in it to help eachother. God I love this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thank you for taking the time to post pictures. Sorry to hear about the leak.
You're very welcome. Install was pretty easy with a couple of exceptions. A little more detail on the schematic would help. Very impressed with the quality thus far. Now to test them on the trail after ,of course, I get my front seal replaced. I thank you for your excellent customer service as well.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
x2 on the forum!!!! This place totally rocks!!!! I had lunch today with a fellow Hurricane and he stood in the street to swap out my front door handles! We had blacked them out a few weeks ago and I could not find any pics of how they come off! Well, anyway.... a very simple swap. Thanks Nate!!!!! See another forum member coming to the aid of their buddies!

Kim

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called the service department today. Talked to the service manager and he said,"Are you sure it's a front seal?" I replied "Yes." He then said, "I'll order it today and call you when it comes in to get the repair done." No problem, no questions.:clap:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Called the service department today. Talked to the service manager and he said,"Are you sure it's a front seal?" I replied "Yes." He then said, "I'll order it today and call you when it comes in to get the repair done." No problem, no questions.:clap:
I've had my seals replaced twice now on the front. This I'm finding out now is do to being lifted to high, thus causing excessive droop which will eventually prematurely cause the seals to leak. It's from constant rubbing against the inboard top part of the seals. I had the front at about 3 inches. Currently I'm running at about 2.5 inches and the CV angles are almost horizontal while the truck sits. My suspension is working much nicer now too.

Oh ya my question, are you lifted? If so, how much? TY

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh ya my question, are you lifted? If so, how much? TY
I'm lifted 2.5" inches. I've got the full Donahoe suspension on it including the UCA"s. You're talking the angle of the CV coming out of the front diff? I'll have to look a little closer and perhaps take a couple of pics so i can pick everyones brain on here. Do you think the jolts resulting from wheeling have something to do with it?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'm lifted 2.5" inches. I've got the full Donahoe suspension on it including the UCA"s. You're talking the angle of the CV coming out of the front diff? I'll have to look a little closer and perhaps take a couple of pics so i can pick everyones brain on here. Do you think the jolts resulting from wheeling have something to do with it?
From what I've seen, it's the rubbing caused by continuous droop. So there's a sweet spot you want to be with the angle of the shaft when adjusting your lift perfectly. I want to put in another .25 inch to my front lift, but I'm going to wait and compare my current shaft angles to a stock fj. I'm rambling sorry. Ask your technician to show you the seal.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I've seen, it's the rubbing caused by continuous droop. So there's a sweet spot you want to be with the angle of the shaft when adjusting your lift perfectly. I want to put in another .25 inch to my front lift, but I'm going to wait and compare my current shaft angles to a stock fj. I'm rambling sorry. Ask your technician to show you the seal.
That makes sense. I'm curious to see where in perspective to the front diff my axle is sitting. I'll be climbing under there again over the weekend to remove the front most skid to have it reworked by my fab guy so it meets properly with my AP front bumper. Thanks for your input. I actually read your posts on here about your diff seal failures last night.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
That makes sense. I'm curious to see where in perspective to the front diff my axle is sitting. I'll be climbing under there again over the weekend to remove the front most skid to have it reworked by my fab guy so it meets properly with my AP front bumper. Thanks for your input. I actually read your posts on here about your diff seal failures last night.
Right on. Post up what you see. I'm going to go to this huge Meet and Greet on Saturday. I'll be crawling under everyones frontends :bigthumb:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Pete had mine leak about 4 times did a post over a year ago. Glad your getting service I was told you re tork the bolt its ok. Check the bolts on the front diff mine came loose had 4 on the drivers side on the top of the diff.
I check it from time to time its seams OK know as not done it for over a year.
Next time it does will be putting lock tigh on all the bolts.

Take care

1 - 12 of 12 Posts