Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter, my 2007 FJ developed a clunk from the front-end when going over a bump. Fairly heavy one, more felt in the wheel than heard.

When they changed out my studded snows, I had the shop do an inspection to see if they could find the source.

They said that there was a lot of play in the half axles where they go into the front differential, particularly on the driver's side, and that was likely the source of the noise.

I see around the other Toyota truck forums where there are lots of issues with the output shaft bearings going bad on Tacomas and Tundras. However they mention various clattering sounds, which I don't have (yet).

Is it a good assumption that my clunk and wobbly half-shaft issue is these bearings?

Has anyone here seen it? How hideously expensive is it to remedy?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If the output bearings are a problem, the parts won't be that expensive, under $200, but the labor to remove your diff and change them will be alot. It takes me 1.5hrs just to pull the diff out

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I was chasing a driver's corner clunking noise, also suspected the front driver's roller bearing due to excessive play. Replaced with PTFE sintered bushing which removed much of the play. No need to remove differential, just pull the axle, remove diff seal, use bearing puller to remove roller bearing, tap in sintered bearing and new diff seal. Did not fix my clunk, turned out to be slider supports coming into contact with body seam.

After inspecting many FJ and Tacomas play in the drivers diff output is very common. For me it was a goose chase.

East Coast Gear Supply sells the bushing and has instructions for install.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing-eliminates-needle-bearing.html

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would get another opinion. It is possible those bearings are shot but I believe it is highly unlikely. Almost like the last thing to go wrong. I would suspect the lower control are bushings worn maybe the lower ball joint. Either way the bushings and lower ball joint I think should be changed at the same time. Picking up an aftermarket lower control arm guarantees that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts