Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014, 6 speed manual, with rear differential locker and atrac, and I curious if toyota had front differential locker for the FJ

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Not that I am aware of. There are a couple of aftermarket options, ARB and Harrup/Eaton.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No experience, but from what I understand that atrac up front is superior to a locker in almost every situation, except hard core rock crawling

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,188 Posts
Long Answer Yes you could pull the rear diff and put it up front . It will fit right in a solid axle .

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Long Answer Yes you could pull the rear diff and put it up front . It will fit right in a solid axle .
Yes, but to be clear for an apparent rookie OP, this is a major project to do a front solid axle swap, involving lots of custom fabrication.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Meaning that you've got a locker installed in your front diff and are speaking from first-hand experience?
I don't have a front locker in the FJ, but I have had it in other rigs. For serious rock crawling where a wheel may be in the air while the other wheel is climbing a ledge or boulder a locker is definitely preferable, but for most other wheeling the ATRAC serves pretty well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the point to the question was not that I want a diff locker on the front axle, but did Toyota put them on any fJs from the factory

·
Registered
298 Posts
Meaning that you've got a locker installed in your front diff and are speaking from first-hand experience?
I own two rigs with lockers. A 2uz powered first gen 4Runner and a '78 Hilux on 40s. My 2013 FJCTT is by far the least capable in any off road situation. It is limited by the atrac and travel of the front suspension. My next mod is going to be an ARB for the front.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I own two rigs with lockers. A 2uz powered first gen 4Runner and a '78 Hilux on 40s. My 2013 FJCTT is by far the least capable in any off road situation. It is limited by the atrac and travel of the front suspension. My next mod is going to be an ARB for the front.
In your opinion, is the difference in off-road capability you see between the 1st gen 4R/Hilux and the '13 FJ more attributable to the solid front axles and increased suspension travel, or to the functional difference between the mechanical lockers & ATRAC?

Are you saying that in a situation where you've got one front wheel on the FJ in the air, ATRAC doesn't adequately brake that wheel and prevent spinning?

All the times I've seen an FJ with a front wheel in the air (vids and first hand) ATRAC seemed to do a great job of controlling wheelspin and delivering torque to the wheel on the ground.

Four wheels on the ground are always better than three, but in your situation it sounds like the larger factor may be the difference between large-articulation solid front axles vs IFS rather than front locker vs ATRAC.

Are you running the front anti-roll bar on your FJ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In your opinion, is the difference in off-road capability you see between the 1st gen 4R/Hilux and the '13 FJ more attributable to the solid front axles and increased suspension travel, or to the functional difference between the mechanical lockers & ATRAC?

Are you saying that in a situation where you've got one front wheel on the FJ in the air, ATRAC doesn't adequately brake that wheel and prevent spinning?

All the times I've seen an FJ with a front wheel in the air (vids and first hand) ATRAC seemed to do a great job of controlling wheelspin and delivering torque to the wheel on the ground.

Four wheels on the ground are always better than three, but in your situation it sounds like the larger factor may be the difference between large-articulation solid front axles vs IFS rather than front locker vs ATRAC.

My fj is completely stock nothing has been added and not currently planning any mods

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
My fj is completely stock nothing has been added and not currently planning any mods
Was actually asking smracing, as part of a thread off-shoot regarding the utility of a front locker on a vehicle with ATRAC. (Posts 7,8, 13 & 14.)

·
Registered
298 Posts

I'm not on huge tires on the FJ, just 34s, but if I bind the tire with traction, the atrac does not have the ability to feed the power to that tire. It results in the front end not doing anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts