Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing the oil in the front and rear differential but can't find how to get to the front. Can someone lead me there? Thanks?

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
You need to pull down the skid plate to access the drain and fill plug for the front dif.
I think it should be 4 bolts. unless you also have the front bash plate too then that has to come off before the factory skid plate
thanks
Don

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
This is a poor quality photo, but from the driver side front wheel, looking inwards towards the motor, the front axle fill plug is just at the edge of the shadow

The drain plug faces in the same direction. Both are recessed hex head, and can be tough to budge the first time

Always take the fill plug off first. If for any reason the fill plug is seized, you don't want to find out after all the gear oil has drained out

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here are some more I had for a different thread.

Drain hole (plug removed):

Fill hole (plug removed):

Just changed mine yesterday and wanted to mention that I noticed that the lower plug has a magnet in it. I assume it's to collect metal shavings. I don't remember if the two pluggs are the same size and could be switched but be aware

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Just curious if you had a lot of shavings on your drain plug?

When I had Winterpeg over at my place last month to service the axles and TC in his 2008 TT, the rear axle was a LOT cleaner than the front axle.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
My plug was covered with very fine shavings about 1/16" deep (with 30K miles on it). I have a 6MT so my front axle's always working. Don't know if that makes a big difference. I wouldn't think that amount of shavings is anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
That is pretty normal. It's a really good argument for doing a relatively early change on your dif fluid, within the first 10 or so thousand miles.
Since my first dif change, the magnet has been fairly clean.
thanks
Don

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Good point, 1911. The stuff resembles "sludge" but is NOT sludge in the classic sense, and I have caused confusion in the past by referring to it as "sludge". It is attracted by a magnet

Actual slivers of gear are very much cause for concern

I should point out that like others, doing an early gear oil change, the magnet has stayed clean with subsequent gear oil changes

·
Registered
86 Posts
My "shavings" were so fine that ....yes they resembled a sludge or a dirty berring grease. I was more excited about the magnet doing it's job than the amount of metal. If there is a similar amount at the next change, I'll probably change my tune.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i just wanted to say thanks to the numerous Forums members who have posted pics/specs and intructions. I have an 2008 6 speed MT with only 20,000 miles. After much research using the SEARCH feature I tackled the following this weekend:

1. rear diff oil change
2. front diff oil change
3. manual transmission oil change
4. Transfer case oil change.
5. motor oil change
6. spark plugs change
7. air filter change
8. all 6 zerks

it took me 8 hours...

THANKS AGAIN FORUM MEMBERS!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
oh i almost forgot... my front differential had more "fine past" on the drain plug than the rear differential...

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Just curious, did you find the front diff oil to be in worse shape than the rear?

·
Registered
77 Posts
yes, the gear oil in my front diff was much worse than my rear diff.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Makes me wonder if Toyota only factory fills the rear axle with their fancy 75W-85 synthetic, and puts regular 75W-90 in the front axle

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
The front diff is a dinky "clamshell" type that only holds half as much lube as the regular pumpkin-style rear diff. In a manual-transmission, full-time 4WD truck like jester's, the front diff is turning and powered all the time, with half as much oil as the rear, which may explain why his was dirtier.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
When I had Winterpeg over at my place last month to service his 2008 TT that he bought in the States, the rear axle fluid looked a lot cleaner than the front axle: front axle drained black. Could be the rear axle had already been serviced. Winterpeg has a 5AT like mine, but he actually uses his offroad

I just got done with gear oil changes all round. Did the rear axle last fall, the front axle and TC a couple of years ago. Rear axle has around 7,000 km on the fluid, the front axle and TC have around 12,000 km on the fluid

Front axle and TC fluid looked like I had put it in yesterday. Absolutely clean. The magnet on the front axle was clean

Rear axle was medium brown, the magnet was clean. I refilled with Mobil Delvac Synthetic 75W-90

Based on my experience, I'd suggest an initial gear oil change at around 2,000km. Then wait at least 20,000km for the front axle and TC, rear axle maybe again at 8,000 km. There appears to be a critical break-in period for the 2007 rear axle at around 1,200-2,000, as mine drained black at 1,200 and the magnet was heavily loaded with "sludge"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts