·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
Reactions: debFJVT

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My front driveshaft is seized- hunting for a replacement so I have 4WD again. Thanks!
Can you be more specific? What makes you believe that you have a "seized driveshaft"?

There are only two locations in a driveshaft that move: the U-joints, and the slip joint. Neither of these locations is subject to "seizure".

Also, a little information on the vehicle would be useful: odometer reading, it the truck has spent time in the rust belt, if the 4WD indicator on the instrument cluster illuminates when the transfer case lever is moved to the 4WD position, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, let me clarify. I currently have the front shaft off the vehicle so no 4wd. It's an auto.

I had the vehicle in the shop for trans rebuild and the foreman said something to this affect: The front shaft is not spinning/flexing? freely as it should (I believe he said at the slip joint) and could cause damage.

I didn't want to order a $400 shaft without doing some digging and research first so I took it home. I know some people have had issues with the front shaft so it sounded like a possibility at first reaction.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Well, let me clarify. I currently have the front shaft off the vehicle so no 4wd. It's an auto.

I had the vehicle in the shop for trans rebuild and the foreman said something to this affect: The front shaft is not spinning/flexing? freely as it should (I believe he said at the slip joint) and could cause damage.

I didn't want to order a $400 shaft without doing some digging and research first so I took it home. I know some people have had issues with the front shaft so it sounded like a possibility at first reaction.
Ah, that helps. The slip joint only moves a small amount. The slip joint is a splined shaft that slides back and forth a very small amount within the end of the driveshaft when there is slight motion between the transfer case and the front differential.

I'd make sure that the spline joint is well greased, and make sure that the shaft is not bent, or shows any evidence of impact damage (collision or rock contact) that may have deformed the shaft at the splined joint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, that helps. The slip joint only moves a small amount. The slip joint is a splined shaft that slides back and forth a very small amount within the end of the driveshaft when there is slight motion between the transfer case and the front differential.

I'd make sure that the spline joint is well greased, and make sure that the shaft is not bent, or shows any evidence of impact damage (collision or rock contact) that may have deformed the shaft at the splined joint.
It is my understanding the shop was unable to get it to move and they noticed it when re assembling car after trans rebuild. Could a bad front shaft cause damage to transfer case or diff? Or could I throw it back in and be ok since I rarely use 4wd? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
It is my understanding the shop was unable to get it to move and they noticed it when re assembling car after trans rebuild. Could a bad front shaft cause damage to transfer case or diff? Or could I throw it back in and be ok since I rarely use 4wd? Thanks!
I would be shocked if the slip joint couldn't be "broken free", assuming that it truly is seized.

A few whacks with a heavy plastic mallet (or a 2' length of 2X4) tapping the yoke back and forth should be able to get the slip joint moving.

Then, make sure that all exposed splines are greased up with moly-disulphide grease, and 5-6 strokes of the same grease should be pumped into the slip joint zerk fitting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be shocked if the slip joint couldn't be "broken free", assuming that it truly is seized.

A few whacks with a heavy plastic mallet (or a 2' length of 2X4) tapping the yoke back and forth should be able to get the slip joint moving.

Then, make sure that all exposed splines are greased up with moly-disulphide grease, and 5-6 strokes of the same grease should be pumped into the slip joint zerk fitting.
Hm. I will look into this. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts