Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
And i can assure you the pictures make it look easy .
Ain`t that the truth. I can`t tell you how many pictures I`ve taken of some of the sketchy stuff I was doing only to have the pictures look like I was sitting on my lawn :)

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I am not a fan of air lockers.
Thanks Sarah, good to hear your review of both having a front locker, and the distaste for air lockers! I do have a spare cv axle I always carry....maybe I should bring 2? :thinkerg: Also carry 3 OE tie rods :rofl:
To qualify I have vehicles with mechanical, electric, and air lockers.

Why the dislike for air?

No argument here, just discussion.

·
Premium Member
7,248 Posts
Can't tell you how many times I've heard of an o-ring or something blowing out on an air locker and leaving the vehicle with open diffs. Both on the internet and real life. I've already purchased the ARB airline repair kit but that doesn't help if there is a problem internally in the diff and air is blowing out of the breather.

I don't really like them myself, but I already have the compressor, tank, and will be getting some ARB's front and rear. I'm gonna regulate the air to a lower pressure to help longevity.

We've all been spoiled by our 100% reliable factory e-locker.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
To qualify I have vehicles with mechanical, electric, and air lockers.

Why the dislike for air?

No argument here, just discussion.
Agree with @Iconic_ on the issues he raised about reliability, and also for me it was clearing out real estate in the engine bay for a compressor and running lines. So adding 3 new systems (locker, compressor, air lines) vs 1 (locker), with many more variables of things that could go wrong, I was not excited. I’m very fond of my OE rear locker and reasoned, why can’t I have that in front? My patience was rewarded :angel

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,511 Posts
Agree with @Iconic_ on the issues he raised about reliability, and also for me it was clearing out real estate in the engine bay for a compressor and running lines. So adding 3 new systems (locker, compressor, air lines) vs 1 (locker), with many more variables of things that could go wrong, I was not excited. I’m very fond of my OE rear locker and reasoned, why can’t I have that in front? My patience was rewarded :angel
This is why I’ve patiently waited for a front e-locker, too much BS that can fail. Hell I’ve had two ARB twins fail on me in a 3 year period, no way I’m taking the chance.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
This is why I’ve patiently waited for a front e-locker, too much BS that can fail. Hell I’ve had two ARB twins fail on me in a 3 year period, no way I’m taking the chance.
I’m guessing your twins are mounted in the engine bay?
If not, that’s weird.

How we airing up with no compressor?

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,511 Posts
I’m guessing your twins are mounted in the engine bay?
If not, that’s weird.

How we airing up with no compressor?
Nope mounted in the cargo area. The first models had two design flaws and both failed on mine a year apart. ARB was fantastic though and I have a completely new internally rebuilt compressor.

The first time it kept running but took 30 minutes to air up the last tire and second time I was is Silverton so I was close to air.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,511 Posts
Wow that sukks.....what exactly failed?
First time was the armature on one bank which wasn’t a complete failure of the unit but it was almost useless afterwards.

The second time was a broken shaft on other bank which was a catastrophic failure but the unit kept running just made a hell of a noise!

·
トヨタ Master
5,832 Posts
Nope mounted in the cargo area. The first models had two design flaws and both failed on mine a year apart. ARB was fantastic though and I have a completely new internally rebuilt compressor.

The first time it kept running but took 30 minutes to air up the last tire and second time I was is Silverton so I was close to air.
First time was the armature on one bank which wasn’t a complete failure of the unit but it was almost useless afterwards.

The second time was a broken shaft on other bank which was a catastrophic failure but the unit kept running just made a hell of a noise!
Most likely the system fails from two things. 1. Lack of lubrication and 2. Too much humidity in the system. 2b. Humidity in the sytem turns to ice in the winter and dries things out in the summer.

Treat air lockers and air systems like tools and semi-trucks. Put air tool oil in the system 3-4 times per year (more with severe service or frequent use). There are two formulas, regular and winter w/added oil. Towards the winter, add air line system anti-freeze to keep the system from icing up. These are two simple things that most people never think about. Just like that pneumatic air wrench in the garage, the locker itself can benefit from lubrication. On my FJ40, I would simply take the output hose from my compressor and squeeze a few drops down into it. More if you are running an onboard air tank. I used about a teaspoon on my little blue truck with ARB single piston compressor and 2 gallon auxiliary tank. On ARB compressors, unscrew the the tank fitting, and squeeze a few drops into the tank and into the lines too. Same deal with airline system anti-freeze in the fall. You can do both together also.

Also keep in mind that 9 times out of 10, an electric compressor fails due to overheating and poor placement of the compressor. Under hood is the worst place you can install one but often there's no other logical choice. It's always a good idea to open the hood to evacuate as much heat as possible. If taken care of, and air system should work flawlessly.

Attachments

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,511 Posts
Most likely the system fails from two things. 1. Lack of lubrication and 2. Too much humidity in the system. 2b. Humidity in the sytem turns to ice in the winter and dries things out in the summer.

Treat air lockers and air systems like tools and semi-trucks. Put air tool oil in the system 3-4 times per year (more with severe service or frequent use). There are two formulas, regular and winter w/added oil. Towards the winter, add air line system anti-freeze to keep the system from icing up. These are two simple things that most people never think about. Just like that pneumatic air wrench in the garage, the locker itself can benefit from lubrication. On my FJ40, I would simply take the output hose from my compressor and squeeze a few drops down into it. More if you are running an onboard air tank. I used about a teaspoon on my little blue truck with ARB single piston compressor and 2 gallon auxiliary tank. On ARB compressors, unscrew the the tank fitting, and squeeze a few drops into the tank and into the lines too. Same deal with airline system anti-freeze in the fall. You can do both together also.

Also keep in mind that 9 times out of 10, an electric compressor fails due to overheating and poor placement of the compressor. Under hood is the worst place you can install one but often there's no other logical choice. It's always a good idea to open the hood to evacuate as much heat as possible. If taken care of, and air system should work flawlessly.
You’ve just been waiting for an opening to talk about lubrication. :browsmiley:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So, “locking” back on lockers :lol: I discovered the extra stress of turning with front locked caused my drivers CV to clackityclack loudly. Rebooted my spare CV and installed it today. I think CV axles will be a target of wear from using the front locker. Might be wise to pick up a second spare :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
So, “locking” back on lockers :lol: I discovered the extra stress of turning with front locked caused my drivers CV to clackityclack loudly. Rebooted my spare CV and installed it today. I think CV axles will be a target of wear from using the front locker. Might be wise to pick up a second spare :thinkerg:
Hi Deb,
did that stop the clackityclack ?
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts