Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve searched and searched but can’t find a definite answer. I have an 07 6mt with 1.25” spacer lift and under hard acceleration from a stop I get a hard clunk. If I don’t back off it will be a rapid clunk. Sounds like it’s coming from the front end. I jacked up the front and checked the wheel at the 12-6 location and no movement. The 3-6 location gives little movement but I don’t hear anything or feel anything loose. I rechecked the lower control arms and the driveshaft and both are torqued. What could be the cause of this? If I accelerate slow it’s now issue. Just went I get down I hear it. Almost like something is shifting but with the constant clunk I was thinking driveshaft. I’ve heard some people switch to the 5100’s and it fixed their issue. I’m good if that’s the fix but uncertain. Other said grease the slip yoke. Need some help to diagnose this one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hmm, sounds like something's loose in the suspension.

Do you hear anything on hard braking?

Are you sure it's in front?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the front right. Only does it when I get on it from a stop. Everything is tight when I jack it up and shake it. Put the wrench on the lower control arm bolts and they didn’t budge. Also checked the driveshafts and they were all right. Just anytime I get on it I hear the clunk. Earlier I got on it hard and it was a repeated clunk. Thought ball joint but nothing moves. Upper shock mount to spacer or spacer to shock mount? Anything under the skid plate that I can check? My son was in the back and said he felt like it was under him. I didn’t check the rear driveshaft connection yet. Wheels are all tight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it’s coming from the front center of the vehicle. Under hard acceleration it’s a constant popping. Lower control arm bushings? Skid plate? Crossmember behind the bumper? Bad ujoint?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm thinking control arm bushings only because of the hard acceleration. Have someone listen while you turn the wheel lock to lock a few times as well as jounce the bumper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. Only does it under hard acceleration. More in first gear bc of the torque applied. But will do it in 2nd and even 3rd at high rpm’s. It’s not just a clunk and done tho. I was trying to post a video but couldn’t see how. When I get on it hard in first it’s a pop-pop-pop-pop sound. I’m starting to lean to cv axle or U-Joints/front driveshaft. I wasn’t sure if the lower arm bushings or even the strut would produce a constant popping like that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A constant popping is something a cv axle would do. Any noises while turning? Does the popping increase how frequent it happens as you speed up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
0 noise while turning which is why at first I didn’t think cv axle. It only doesn’t it under a decent torque load where the truck would shift due to load. If I give more than 50% throttle it will pop once. If I go full throttle it will pop repeatedly. Truck has 205k on it. Not sure if the struts or anything has been replaced before. Everything on front end is tight but grease boots are worn. Normal driving it does nothing. Under heavy acceleration it pops. Thought about pulling out the front driveshaft to check and lube. Worst case I’m grabbing a used low mile cv axle. I’ve heard bad stories about aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah it's probably not a cv. I have an auto so I'm not sure about the front driveshaft symptoms at that mileage. Check your lower shock mounts and see what the bushings look like. I dont think it's that either, but if they're badly worn they could shift under a good weight transfer like your explaining stop and quickly go.

Check your engine mounts?

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
162 Posts
This is a little unconventional but I’ve done this in the past with decent results. Zip tie your phone under the vehicle certain places with video rolling if nothing else you’ll probably be able to figure out where the clunk is coming from based on the sound. I have an old phone that I no longer use. Just don’t damage your phone!

<>< <>< <><. <*((^(((><

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got out and did a pull. Felt it on my floor board so I’m going to pull the drive shaft and inspect the U-Joints and shaft. Honestly with the miles I’m probably just going to replace them since it will be out. Then if that doesn’t fix I’ll move to check axles then replace shocks.

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
64 Posts
Reading this thread, it appears that something is loading up under breaking while the front end is dipping down. Upon acceleration, the load frees up as the weight of the vehicle shifts to the rear.
My first thought is suspension is binding up.

This is what I would do to isolate the issue:

1. Do a hard stop and get out of the car. Measure the wheel wells to tire, get a piece of chalk and mark the current location of the sway bars, current position of driveline
2. Accelerate till you hear the clunk, bring the truck to almost a coasting stop (as to not bind up the suspension again). Measure the wheel wells to tires, check the chalk marks

If nothing has changed, not a suspension or driveline issue.

I have used chalk in the past to isolate these issues when there maybe many possibilities. And I found that my front sway bar was binding up. The measuring wheel wells will tell you if a spring or shock is not releasing compression.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds more like the center of the truck. I’m just hope it’s not the transfer case. It does it if I just crank the truck and take off so braking doesn’t change it. What would a broke motor mount do? It does sound like something is binding under the load. But cv axle? U-Joints? Shifting suspension?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ll try this method to rule out the suspension. I’ll also double check that the sway bar parts aren’t hitting anything.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You'll see the engine shake under load as well as feel it

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
64 Posts
I’ll try this method to rule out the suspension. I’ll also double check that the sway bar parts aren’t hitting anything.
Cheap way to trouble shoot the issue. I like to rule things out instead of tossing money at it or chasing down 20 things at once

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just drove and measured it and no change. Still popping. Pulled the skid plates off and tightened the front lower control arm bolts a bit. Couldn’t get the back ones to budge. Didn’t change anything. Still sounds like it’s coming from the front center of the truck. Going to pull the driveshaft on Friday and check it. It doesn’t do it going over bumps or turning. On while accelerating enough to put a load on the truck. Get on it a little it pops. Get on it hard it constant pops. Didn’t see any cracks in the motor mounts. Front diff mounts have a little play in them but that looks by design. Both sway bar links are torn but they aren’t hitting anything. I don’t see any cracks or signs of rubbing. Cv boots are leaking but if it’s the cv axle it should be doing it just turning as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just greased all the u joints and both driveshafts plus changed the front diff fluid. Sound is still there. Gonna take it by the shop Saturday and see if the can locate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I went ahead and pulled my front drive shaft to see if that could be the culprit. Upon unbolting it from the front end I noticed only 3 bolt were in. They were all torqued down tho. I got it out and removed the slip joint. It has a little bit of grease. There doesn’t seem to be any play in the U-Joints. Should I just re grease the splines of the slip joint then assemble it and install it with a new bolt with it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also it’s a 6mt which is awe so will driving it mess anything up? I have the selector in N right now so it’s driving in 2wd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts