Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 2010 FJ with about 28,000 miles on it. Recently, I noticed a "cam" type growling coming from the front end that disappears when I shift to 4WD.

I spent some time driving around to see what circumstances it shows up:

1) In 2WD only
2) Disappears when shifted to 4WD
3) It is there in neutral ( vehicle rolling ) or in gear, regardless of gear
4) Very apparent at low speeds, coasting to a stop from 30 MPH
5) You can feel it in the steering wheel, gas pedal, drivers side floor pan and seat
6) You can hear the RPM of the grinding as the vehicle speed changes

I can't tell whether this is it or not, but it feels like the 4WD is not disengaging all the way and it feels like two gears are barely rubbing against one another. :worried:

Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
The only thing that changes when going from 2WD to 4WD is that the front driveshaft and the front differential are linked to the rest of the drivetrain and are now spinning. I am wondering if there is a problem with the ADD actuator not retracting all the way and grinding on the front diff gear when in 2WD, not so much to cause a problem but enough to make noise. When in 4WD it engages all the way and no noise.

My first attempt to solve this would be to dump the front diff. lube and put some synthetic gear lube in it and then drive it and put it in/out of 4WD about 6-12 times and see if it frees up.

This is just a WAG on my part, no warranty provided.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like my dealer is putting in a new front diff. He said it's a very similar issue to what they are seeing with Toyota trucks. Innnnterrresting ...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a new front differential under warranty today. The growling got worse and worse until they changed it.

I talked to some Toyota truck guys - my symptoms were identical to theirs.

This thread hasn't seen a lot of action in this part of the forum, but it belongs here. More FJ owners need to know about this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2007 with 71k miles, certified...and I am experiencing EXACTLY the same symptoms as described, exactly.

I have been to the dealer twice now and they "can't seem to hear the noise" which I know is complete BS, as usual.

So one more trip to the dealer and we call the 800 number. I have an 05 4runner with 102k and it has been flawless.

This is the first issue we have had with the FJ

Here is a link to the TUNDRA TSB which covers this, I suspect this is going to start showing up on many FJ's soon.
http://toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/Front Diff TSB.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sounds like the problem I am experiencing right now. Although the noise is minimal and doesn't seem to be getting worse but it sure is annoying.

Looks like I will take a trip to the dealership soon.. Thanks for the info! :cool:

I have a 2010 FJ.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is a youtube video of the issue. I used chassis ears so the dealer could hear the noise.

FJ front diff noise small.wmv - YouTube

The dealer has now agreed to replace bearings....TBD....

I suspect this problems is wide spread. I also suspect that anyone running tires that generate much noise would not be able to hear the noise.

This is a known issue with 05-07 tundras (Same gear set as the FJ) along with tacoma's and some 4runners, it seems that the newer 4runners are popping up with this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm experiencing this same issue right now. I'm out of warranty so took it to a local shop and they suspect it's a worn bearing within the front diff, but won't know for sure until they get inside.

Any advice on this? Should I just replace the whole diff or is the issue just a bearing (for those of you that have had this repaired).

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They replaced my whole front diff. Let me know how much it costs - I'm in BC too! Might as well know what I'm in for if this happens again.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a factory front diff for sale. Also have a rear locking diff for sale email me. It is common on all of the fjs for the front and rear diffs to go out have replaced many

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I finally bit the bullet and took the truck in (I'm 8 months and 20,000km past warranty) and the rear bearings are completely shot, front four bearings are pretty bad too apparently. I only have a 3" rc lift with 285/70/17's but I guess I do offroad quite a bit. Looking at around $2500 for parts and labour. Luckily my gears are still in great condition (mechanics words). The shop is saving the bearings for me and I'll take a few photos when I pick the truck up so you know what your dealing with if you wanted to tackle this yourself.

The shop I took it too does all the diff work for the local Toyota dealership and he says they get quite a few tacos and fjs in there with this issue, of course Toyota just replaces the whole diff, but my pockets aren't deep enough for that. Strange I never heard of this issue until recently. I do have an early build 07 (in service date was march 06 I think?) so not sure if this affects all fjs...

More info to come...

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hear/feel the same thing when shifting out of 4wheel drive. It is very light but you can feel it more than hear it. If I shift in and out of 4x4 a few times it goes away.

Is it for sure a bearing issue or something else? I am still under warantee so I should take her in for the issue.

If it is a bearing issue maybe it's because of the light gear oil (75/85) they use. I was going to change out both differentials with Amsoil 75/110 as I feel this is a much better gear oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear/feel the same thing when shifting out of 4wheel drive. It is very light but you can feel it more than hear it. If I shift in and out of 4x4 a few times it goes away.

Is it for sure a bearing issue or something else? I am still under warantee so I should take her in for the issue..
Mine was NOT a bearing, my bearings were fine. On my 07 it was the spider gears rocking back and forth when free wheeling in 2WD. The newer diff SUPPOSEDLY (I did not see it) has a bridge/support to prevent this...

Several thousand miles and so far so good. The tech did mention my that the "spacer leveling kit" was more than likely a culprit. Which I know is total BS. As well, we bought the vehicle certified with the kit already installed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts