Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just installed a winch. I also have a Demello steel bumper and a Ricochet front skid. All together that's about 220lb.
The OME 885 springs I have on the front are rated for an additional 170 lbs.
The back end (2" lift Toytec Superflex) is now noticeably higher than the front, but measurement wise I lost about 1/4" of height on the front end.

I called up Toytec and they made two suggestions. Move to OME 886 springs or add 1/4" spacers.
I have all stock components upfront (UCAs etc). I want to keep it that way until I absolutely have to change. I'm not made of $$$!

I wanted to get the forum's opinion. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,665 Posts
886 used to the mediums and 887 were the HD version.

IMO get the right spring for your set up, adding a 1/4" spacer will give you the space back but will do nothing for the additional weight or performance.

·
Premium Member
11,665 Posts
886 used to the mediums and 887 were the HD version.

IMO get the right spring for your set up, adding a 1/4" spacer will give you the space back but will do nothing for the additional weight or performance.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I also support the stiffer spring option. I at one time used OME shocks with ARB bumper.12,000 winch and 2 batteries. It worked as well as the OME were ever going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
I got the HD OME, and with the added weight of DeMello umper, winch, twin batteries....it rides great and is level. Now I just have to get it up another inch in 2021 to fit my next set of shoes...

·
Registered
644 Posts
The unfortunate storyline here is, I don’t know what your end expectations are or how you use your ride is, there is a good chance you will be changing out your OME for a better setup. Yes some will post how great the OME set up is. Great for them, they are satisfied and it works for them. In my humble opinion, after using them for a while, there are for a little more money better riding, better performing set ups.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The unfortunate storyline here is, I don’t know what your end expectations are or how you use your ride is, there is a good chance you will be changing out your OME for a better setup. Yes some will post how great the OME set up is. Great for them, they are satisfied and it works for them. In my humble opinion, after using them for a while, there are for a little more money better riding, better performing set ups.

I don't plan to swap. I don't drive the FJ on roads unless I'm going to use the 4wd at some point so the ride isn't that concerning to me.
I'm pretty conservative on the trail. I like to keep to 5/10 difficulty at a max.
I went with the OME because ToyTec said out of all the suspension systems they would last the longest and be most reliable.
I like low maintenance and reliability over other aspects.

Which is why I am hesitating on the 886. I've done a lot of forum searching on the 886 springs and keep finding some horror stories of broken components because they're too much. But, others say they're great. I don't have a dual battery setup, steel skids, or a steel winch line. So, I'm not as heavy as some who run the 886 and like them. I could, however, start mounting my HI-Lift on the bumper and that would help plus be easier to get on and off.

Keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Not the same brand but I`m going to be changing out 600 lb King springs for 700lb. springs here soon for basically the same reason. Front end is a bit soft. I have a steel bumper and 12K winch on the front :)

·
Premium Member
11,665 Posts
Funny.....I find my KINGS with the 600lb ride harsher than my S.A.W with a 700lb.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I learned a little more info today. The stock ride height from center wheel to fender flare is 20". Right now I'm sitting at 22 - 22.125. So, I'm getting 2" of lift as is. I don't know if it will settle some more or not after adding the 80lb winch

I think the key question here is whether a pair of 886 springs will put me at or more than 3", which I understand to be the limit for stock components.

They are 7 mm longer, so that's 0.276" more of lift (compared to 885) putting me at 2.3-2.4".

But, the spring rate is 660 lbf/in compared to 590 lbf/in for 885 springs....

So, F=kx and the force isn't changing, only k and I want to know the new displacement (x). Let's say the original height with my 885 is 2.5" (b/c it's a 2.5" lift). So my displacement is 0.5"

k(1)/k(2) * x(1)= x(2)

k(1)/k(2) = 590/660 = 0.89

0.89 *(0.5") = 0.45"

That suggests I gain 0.05" due to spring rate and 0.3-0.4 because the spring is longer.
So something like 2.4-2.5" after 886.

Can anyone check me on this?
I'm not sure I calculated that right.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Because the strut is mounted about half way between the LCA pivot point and the wheel, any change in height (or travel) at the strut will result in about twice as much travel at the wheel, as in the diagram below.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts