Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie here. I have a 2007 FJ 4x2, a little over 120k miles and it has developed a bad shimmy or shake in the front end at 65+ mph and even more when braking fast. I have had the tires and wheels balanced and the front end alignment checked and it all checked out fine. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I have had the tires and wheels balanced and the front end alignment checked and it all checked out fine. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?
If the problem was brake rotors, it would only shake when braking. How sure are you that the tires are balanced? Some tires (BFG All Terrain's for example) are notorious for balancing issues. Is it possible that the wheel could be warped left to right, or that it's not seating to the hub correctly?

Next thing to try would be to move both of the tires on the front to the back. If the problem goes away, you know it's one (or both) of the wheels or tires that you moved to the back.

I had a worn tie-rod end replaced on the FJ (damaged due to offroading) and it didn't exhibit any issues at speed, it gets a little loose over bumps but that's it. So this shouldn't be a potential cause.

You've got some experimenting to do. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem. I also had everything checked, from tire balance to suspension and even rotated tires. Still had the wobble at around 60-65. I recently replaced my OEM pads and rotors with EBC brake pads and rotors and the problem seems to have gone away. I was driving my FJ just last weekend and was noticing that the wobble was gone. I have BFG All Terrains btw and I was feeling some vibration I believe due to the tires but not the shimmy at 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Make sure you tell the shop to hand torque the lugs if you have alloy wheels

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had front end vibration from warped rotors and I agree with jimmy that it usually only applies when braking to get a vibration from the brakes. I had it constantly because my front calipers were seized causing my vibration to remain constantly. might be something to consider if you haven't already

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I had a long time vibration/shimmy and it was (suprisingly) wheel bearings at less than 80K.

Sort of process of elimination to get to that point as I also replaced Total Chaos uniballs, inner and outer tie rods and had the tires rebalanced and realigned within the previous 10K miles.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I would also guess that if its not your wheels being out of balance and not a warped rotor, then calliper would be my next suspect.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts