Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted a front passenger grab handle to their FJ.
My wife has difficulty getting into MY FJ, even with the side steps fitted. Trying to figure where i can mount a grab handle for the front passenger.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
9 Posts
G'day mate my wife is a wee little las aswell you can get great aluminum or billet ones online for the FJ and they mount directly on the pillar in front of the passanger or driverside they help The little people also enjoy the Greatness that is the FJ Do a search online for around $95 a pair from the US :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
We have curtain air bags there so no go mounting there :(
All models have air bags in the pillars. I haven't seen one without the grab handles. Odd. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1316700887.092865.jpg

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are differences in the "standards" that determine how the air-bags "fire". In the US I believe they are "higher powered" and therefore small obstructions such as the grab handles don't make a difference. I found this when looking at seat covers, you basically cannot use the US versions of seat covers here in Australia as our air-bags don't fire with enough ooompf to burst through the stitching. Until someone comes up with an approved design the only option for front seat covers in Australia are the Toyota ones.

Just read this... could be off topic but basically I would say it's due to the differences in the air-bag firing and design between the two countries.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are differences in the "standards" that determine how the air-bags "fire". In the US I believe they are "higher powered" and therefore small obstructions such as the grab handles don't make a difference. I found this when looking at seat covers, you basically cannot use the US versions of seat covers here in Australia as our air-bags don't fire with enough ooompf to burst through the stitching. Until someone comes up with an approved design the only option for front seat covers in Australia are the Toyota ones.

Just read this... could be off topic but basically I would say it's due to the differences in the air-bag firing and design between the two countries.
Thanks for the message.
I understand what you are saying and agree. What i cannot figure out is if the curtain airbags are stored or positioned in the A pillar, if not then I would prefer to mount an OEM grab handle there, if I could get the correct plate/mounting on to the A pillar. Guess I should remove the cover and have a look.
Has anyone in Aust removed the A Pillar cover yet ? I wonder... a picture would be nice. I have resisted pulling the cover off so far.. afraid of damaging it... maybe soon.... when its not sooooo new
Tks
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Bazross,
There's a pic on a thread I'm on showing the cover off the driver's side, and several more showing the US SRS system.

Be back with latest pic. See if it helps.

Edited: pic only shows outer cover

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135799

Try this link for possible details you need.

http://brockandbecca.com/files/fj/accessories/Gobi%20Roof%20Rack%20and%20Lights%20Install.pdf

Sorry for long links. iPhone app is acting up.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bazross,
There's a pic on a thread I'm on showing the cover off the driver's side, and several more showing the US SRS system.

Be back with latest pic. See if it helps.
Hi Chris,
Thanks, I've studied LandcruiserSteve's thread heaps, about pulling the dash etc off. and can see the inside of the A-pillar with the mounting hardware.
But i am guessing as we do not have the grab handle, there is no mounting hardware behind the cover. And maybe not even mounting points to fit the bracket, I guess i'm gonna have to pull it off and look. lol.
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was just looking at this thread, showing the outer cover off, where you wired the roof lights down thru the pillar.
Thanks heaps.
Got another question, un related about the postion of the oem switches, can they be moved around into different holes, putting the oem switches all on one row ?
leaving the bottom 4 for carlings, when i get my Spod...
Ta Baz

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Baz,
My apologies for the irrelevant pics and bad link.

Try again.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1316776205.607993.jpg

The metal bracket visible in pic is the attachment point for the grab handles. The pic is from the second link provided above, which show how to remove the A pillar inside and outside covers. May be useful to determine if you have the mounting bracket behind the A pillar cover, or not. If not, be easy to add.

Again, apologies for irrelevant post. Hope this assists, in some fashion.

Delancy

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Yeah, I was just looking at this thread, showing the outer cover off, where you wired the roof lights down thru the pillar.
Thanks heaps.
Got another question, un related about the postion of the oem switches, can they be moved around into different holes, putting the oem switches all on one row ?
leaving the bottom 4 for carlings, when i get my Spod...
Ta Baz
Yes, but the lower console switch panel has notches in the factory holes, which only allow certain switches in their respective holes.

These "notches" have to be ground/cut out (I cut with box knife, it's not as hard as the plastic on the factory holes next to steering wheel)

The notches also have to be cut to allow for Carling's.

I just so happen to have an extra console riding in my FJ. Hope pics are discernible.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1316776654.256519.jpg

The long tab on the left of blank is there to only allow a certain OEM switch, and will have to be shaved to move around to accomplish this.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1316776763.139743.jpg

Best to remove lower console panel for the surgery.

Another note, the switches on the left (right, in AUS?) on steering wheel can be installed with same surgery without dash removal, but plastic is harder and a rotary device (Dremel) works best.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1316776880.622747.jpg

Hope informative.

What time is it in AUS right now?

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Baz,
My apologies for the irrelevant pics and bad link.

Try again.

View attachment 47770

The metal bracket visible in pic is the attachment point for the grab handles. The pic is from the second link provided above, which show how to remove the A pillar inside and outside covers. May be useful to determine if you have the mounting bracket behind the A pillar cover, or not. If not, be easy to add.

Again, apologies for irrelevant post. Hope this assists, in some fashion.

Delancy
Hi Chris,
No worries, its cool. All info is good...
I want to install roof lights, so its stored for future reference.
I going to remove the cover tomorrow, and see whats behind it, will post pixs, and then decide how to proceed.
If I'm lucky I'll find the bracket in place.... then its will be a bit easier, and cheaper... lol.
Really appreciate all the input. Makes it alot more reassuring for a noob... its been along time since i have modded any of my vehicles....
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, but the lower console switch panel has notches in the factory holes, which only allow certain switches in their respective holes.

These "notches" have to be ground/cut out (I cut with box knife, it's not as hard as the plastic on the factory holes next to steering wheel)

The notches also have to be cut to allow for Carling's.

I just so happen to have an extra console riding in my FJ. Hope pics are discernible.

View attachment 47771

The long tab on the left of blank is there to only allow a certain OEM switch, and will have to be shaved to move around to accomplish this.

View attachment 47772

Best to remove lower console panel for the surgery.

Another note, the switches on the left (right, in AUS?) on steering wheel can be installed with same surgery without dash removal, but plastic is harder and a rotary device (Dremel) works best.

View attachment 47773

Hope informative.

What time is it in AUS right now?
G'day.
Its 9.26 pm, Friday evening down in here in Sydney.
Thanks for the advice, its looks pretty easy..... lol.
I'll be taking off the centre consol soon, to swap out the orange leds for blue... and will move the park assist up to the top line, leaving the bottom 4 empty - for now..... I figured Toyota don't waste cable, so was concerned it might be too tight to move up or across etc....
Thanks again.
Whats the time over there ?
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I'm in Tulsa, Ok and it's 6:50am, Friday morning. I had many communications with Ian at customrockers.au via email, and it took forever due to time differential.
Just curious. I see your on here when I am, so thought I'd ask. Ha.

There's enough wire to move the OEM switches around, no problem.
The sPod for FJ has one wire loom that comes through firewall. There's (4) leads to Carlings that are plenty long enough to center console, then (2) that are even longer, assuming to reach the switch blanks by the steering wheel. FYI.

If you need the black switch blanks to insert in the open holes while waiting on SPod, I have many, and it'd be my pleasure to mail to you.

Delancy

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Chris,
Good to know about the Spod.
I'll let you know about the blanks. I've put my name down for the group buy for the Spod, so it will be a little while before it gets here.. but no real hurry, its all part of the "master plan". Only trouble is the master plan keeps getting hijacked... lol.
The time diff, is always a challenge with the rest of the world. I communicate with people oversea all the time - for work, and spend alot of time in the evenings online to speed up the communication flow, so i understand the challenge you are facing with Ian if he is not available when you are on line.
Is there anything i can do to help you .. communicating to Ian or anyone else ?
always glad to help.
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
You're in good hands with the group buy organizer. Istvan is actually a Tulsan, too, discovered after I spent considerable money with him here. Ha.

PM detailed address, exactly how I'd ship, if you want the blanks, and I'll send in advance. I offer anything I have extra to anyone who'll use, so I can't guarantee them past my next offer. Ha. I'll send four today.

Ian printed all of mine some time ago. If you spend anytime searching switches, lower console, or OEM PIN details here, my name is all over it.
I had original intentions if replacing the OEMs, with Carling's, since I couldn't find the OEM blank switches nor anyone to laser etch. Ian does good work, and easy going via email.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1316780280.230889.jpg

Since, I'm on a different hunt for another solution. I want the switches to be laser etched with text like the OEMs, backlit (jumper for backlit power from IGN circuit for sPod switches) so I can see the [email protected] things in the dark, and possibly a dimmer LED so it doesn't flood the entire can with light. Working with Jim from OTRATTW on this,

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1316780489.364537.jpg

Or a CAN BUS capable switch panel to achieve.

I know. I'm crazy. Just want it to appear OEM, and not like a Jeep. Ha.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
G'day,
Just PM'd you, thanks.
I would prefer to keep the look OEM too..
I'm putting in some soft LED lighting in soon, footwells, lower console etc... glovebox, and map box, if thats what its called, with an independent dimmer control. As i can't see Sh1t at night. I've dark tinted the front windows and it like being in a cave at night. As i have a Voodoo blue, i'm going with all blue LED lighting, which is really easy to run up, off a spare fuse, but i think you helped me figure this out too... haha. Not touching any of the oem harness's for this... Also doing all the instrument lighting to Blue...
Its a common theme becoming FJOCD... hahaha
Another way round the laser etching might be colour coding each led in each switch, with its own colour, that would do similar ( hope this doesn't add to your OCDness ) hahaha.
Green = winch
red = rear lights
blue = SR's
yellow = FOG
etc
etc
etc
LOL.

You ain't crazy !!!!! just obsessed.....
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
The "mood" LED lighting is part of the current plan, if I keep it. Ha.

I'm all amber, and swapping the cluster to, via the TinCan mod (he's the go to guy for all things electrical, as I think you've seen).

After I get all of this figured out, I'll have to figure out how to change the LCD screen on the Rosen HU to amber. Hahaha.

This entire process is a necessary distraction from the realities of the real world, so every new "mod" is a continuation of self prescribed therapy.

It's claimed that once the build portion is complete, it's time to sell. I love the entire experience too much to ever allow that to happen, so I'm perpetuating into eternity.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I removed the A-pillar inside cover this morning, wasn't too difficult. But a word of caution, there is a bolt holding it in place under the cap marked SRS Airbag - in the middle of the cover - facing into the cabin. 12mm bolt attached to a pillar itself.
The not good news, is that there is NO mounting plate fixed to the A-pillar for the grab handle. I did not remove the cover completely off, only about half way off, but definitely no mounting plate. The inside is the same as LandCruiserSteve's how to pictures, a few cables and the white nylon strap secured to another point on the A-pillar, for the airbag deployment.
i guess i should have taken it off completely and photographed it, and checked the anchor nuts are there for the mounting plate.... damn i will have to do it again..... haha
I'll do it again this afternoon....
Baz

1 - 20 of 99 Posts