Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Will have to order those from the U.S.

For a group buy, a USPS priority box will take up to 20# and is $60.
Hi Auto-Craft
Thanks for the info on the grab handles,i shall order mine today from Toyota
Are you thinking of bringing in the brackets for the grab handles, if so i will definetly source them thru you,i live in Werribee so you are only down the highway.Thanks also to Baz and Chris for there help and input
regards
AUSSIE CRUISER :cheers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ordered 16 today, they are on back order though, but not for long apparently.
Hi Auto-Craft
Can i order a pair of brackets off you? if so can i contact you direct to find out pricing and pay deposit,i ordered the handles, bolts and covers today,there are none in Oz at present so have to wait for them from Japan,i hope they don't take as long to arrive as the FJ's themselves,LOL.
thanks in advance
regards
AUSSIE CRUISER

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

G'day,
A couple of post installation observations and adjustments.
1. I was not totally happy with the fit of the A-pillar cover, it seemed to be sticking about a few mm at the top of the cover, not sitting flush to the head lining. And considered that the internal ribs may be be creating a stopper, preventing it from sitting flush.
Removed it again, and confirmed that two of the lower ribs were squashed and needed to be trimmed off. See picture.
It now sits must more flush to the top of the A-pillar, and looks much better. The US brackets and our A-pillars are a very close match but they are different. I would not be surprised if the US covers are slightly different to ours, the ribs indicate this, but it can still fit and look oem.

2. I would suggest that you practice removing the cover several times, and re-fitting it to become accustomed to the feel and method. May be I am just OCD, but i can just about do it in my sleep now, and am very comfortable pulling it off n on.

3. The leading edge, nearest the windshield has to slide in behind the metal lip, to make it all factory finish, the Toyota tolerances are tight, and practice will help. I generally have to align and re-fit several times until i am happy it is all perfect (OCD again) IF you are less OCD, and are happy with a pretty good fit, near enough.. more power to you.

Lastly, the wife is now very happy.. and can ascend into my FJ, with ease...

Good luck, if you get stuck, I am always happy to help walk you thru it, or if you are in Sydney, happy to come n help.

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
88 Posts

It now sits must more flush to the top of the A-pillar, and looks much better. The US brackets and our A-pillars are a very close match but they are different. I would not be surprised if the US covers are slightly different to ours, the ribs indicate this, but it can still fit and look oem.

Cheers
Baz
If you have a look at the US pillars, you will see that they have flat spots around each hole where the handle sits.

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
G'day Millab,
Yes, I had noticed that. Not sure if it with just the older US FJ's or still current. But either way, I think the Jap built models have a few variances to what we see on the Forum.
But its all FJ which ever way you slice it.
One thing to be aware of, if with RH drive .. a few components could be different to what the US have / do. eg, on the right hand side of the US steering wheel, they have 2 empty switch blanks.. where as ours is sloped, enabling only one oem switch to be located there.... so there are a few minor tweaks

Cheers
Baz

ps. did you get your Hornet ?

·
Registered
114 Posts

G'day,
A couple of post installation observations and adjustments.
1. I was not totally happy with the fit of the A-pillar cover, it seemed to be sticking about a few mm at the top of the cover, not sitting flush to the head lining. And considered that the internal ribs may be be creating a stopper, preventing it from sitting flush.
Removed it again, and confirmed that two of the lower ribs were squashed and needed to be trimmed off. See picture.

2. I would suggest that you practice removing the cover several times, and re-fitting it to become accustomed to the feel and method. May be I am just OCD, but i can just about do it in my sleep now, and am very comfortable pulling it off n on.

3. The leading edge, nearest the windshield has to slide in behind the metal lip, to make it all factory finish, the Toyota tolerances are tight, and practice will help. I generally have to align and re-fit several times until i am happy it is all perfect (OCD again) IF you are less OCD, and are happy with a pretty good fit, near enough.. more power to you.

Lastly, the wife is now very happy.. and can ascend into my FJ, with ease...

Good luck, if you get stuck, I am always happy to help walk you thru it, or if you are in Sydney, happy to come n help.

Cheers
Baz
Hi bazross
Thanks for the extra info,like yourself i am also anal with fit and finish,do you think it would be better to source original new a pillar covers,i am after a factory finish,if so any idea's on sourcing,maybe we could go halves in freight?
regards

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
G'day Aussie Cruiser.
Challenge as I see it would be that the US covers may not fit our A-pillars....
I was able to get the cover to fit, 99 % and unless I were to tell you about it, you would not notice it, it still looks oem to me.
Having said that, I intend to pull it off again and make it 100%, and will keep doing this until I get it 100% ... hahaha
The bracket seems to get in the way, you loose some flexibility in ability to manipulate the cover when putting it back on. Without the bracket its pretty easy to be 100%, with the bracket its a bit more work, and muscle to apply enough pressure to make it fit back in properly.... especially on the leading edge. This is where I am not happy - now, getting the edge into the metal lip of the A-pillar but i am sure it can be done.... haha

So getting covers from the US is I think not necessary at this stage....

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
114 Posts
G'day Aussie Cruiser.
Challenge as I see it would be that the US covers may not fit our A-pillars....
I was able to get the cover to fit, 99 % and unless I were to tell you about it, you would not notice it, it still looks oem to me.
Having said that, I intend to pull it off again and make it 100%, and will keep doing this until I get it 100% ... hahaha
The bracket seems to get in the way, you loose some flexibility in ability to manipulate the cover when putting it back on. Without the bracket its pretty easy to be 100%, with the bracket its a bit more work, and muscle to apply enough pressure to make it fit back in properly.... especially on the leading edge. This is where I am not happy - now, getting the edge into the metal lip of the A-pillar but i am sure it can be done.... haha

So getting covers from the US is I think not necessary at this stage....

Cheers
Baz[/QUOTE
Hi Baz
Thanks for the reply,i shall keep watching the thread,i notice that the American pillar cover's don't have the SRS Airbag warning plug or bolt behind it like the Aussie ones so they would probably not fit 100% either
regards
AUSSIE CRUISER

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
G'day Aussie Cruiser,
Correct, and that bolt is used to secure the top of the bracket, you'll see if you undo the bolt and remove the cover.
The other little trick, after you have removed the cover there is a blue plastic clip in the A-pillar, that hooks onto the cover below the top bolt. its a bit tricky to hook, you have to push the cover in as you side it down, doing the reverse of when you pull the cover off, ie off n up slightly, to put back you push in and down as you re-atached. to hook the clip.
sounds complicated but once you have done it a few times..... hahaha
and as you are doing this you need to watch the black rubber on the door frame to make sure its on the outside of the cover...
easy !!!!!!
haha

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Hi Baz
Thanks for the xtra info,it will all help,you are definitely the A pillar guru :lol:
regards
Baz is merely an A Pillar apprentice.
Hahaha

Baz,
I thought the APillar cover had the "flat spots" for the handles to seat properly.

Had to drop off at dealer this morning for alignment (finally installed the long travel) and gal states there's no difference she can find on an a pillar cover.

Claimed that if there are variations of a product there's normally a notation (not sure if asterisk, or more detailed) but said without a VIN it won't result a definitive resulting part number.

For what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Baz is merely an A Pillar apprentice.
Hahaha

Baz,
I thought the APillar cover had the "flat spots" for the handles to seat properly.

Had to drop off at dealer this morning for alignment (finally installed the long travel) and gal states there's no difference she can find on an a pillar cover.

Claimed that if there are variations of a product there's normally a notation (not sure if asterisk, or more detailed) but said without a VIN it won't result a definitive resulting part number.

For what it's worth.
G'day Chris,
haha, I am only a lowly junior apprentice.....
the "flat spots" are missing.... haha, but they still seat firmly to the cover.
Its no biggie not having flat spots, i just have to get the re-fit 100% ....

On another note, I have begun communication with Glenn at Radflo....

I'm a multi tasking apprentice..... haha

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Glad you have a sense of humor.
I'm merely a grunt, three tiers down from an apprentices helper. Proof positive in my latest round of errors.
Ha.

Tell Glenn I said hello. Great guy to work with, and truly concerned about 100% customer satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
any news on a good source to get the parts we need from the US yet? still watching eagerly.
Auto-Craft was sourcing from the US for resale in AUS. If he's encountered an issue, my offer always stands, but he'll be able to offer more economically, no doubt.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts