Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any pictures that show front licence plates, or mounts.

Does anyone know where the front licence plates will go (I know, the proper answer should be "in the trash" but around here they quite randomly give tickets for missing front plates, perhaps because that's the best way to ticket people with red light cameras).

Seems to me as if the designers never bother with a front licence plate mount - no doubt it interrupts the lines of the front of the car. But us poor schlobs out in the real world have to put one on for the benefit of the po-po.

The one on the front of the Rover has been there for five years with (now rotting) bungee cords after the original afterthought plastic junk broke off. I imagine bungees will work again this time. I forget whether the ARB bumper has a licence plate mount.

Besides, if I do get vanity plates, I want to show 'em both, right?!

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
wow, you're right. My guess is a bracket screwed right into the black part above the mesh. Yuck...that'll look bad

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
No front plates in TN.

WAAAAAAHHHOOOOOOOO...

Think of the people with sports cars. Can you imagine a Ferrari F60 with a front plate?:eek:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Landrover said:
No front plates in TN.

WAAAAAAHHHOOOOOOOO...

Think of the people with sports cars. Can you imagine a Ferrari F60 with a front plate?:eek:
I kind of can, actually.

JustFred is right. Here in LA, especially around the airport, you run a HIGH risk of being pulled over w/o a front plate. And my daily commute goes right by there. So, unfortunately, I have to keep a front plate on my Porsche 911 targa, or they'll pull me over just to have a look-see into the car. Happened once and the guy wanted to 'check my registration'. I told him I was probably the only porsche in LA WITH a front plate - he agreed & couldn't believe I actually put it on. I replied with, yeah and you pulled me over to look. He said 'yeah', and 'have a nice day'. We both laughed but had I not had the plate, I'd have left with a ticket.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was also concernerd about this, I brought it up in a thread that is long gone by now...

I told my dealer that I didn not want anything screwed into my brand new bumper!!! They said it was Cali law, I asked them if there was any way they could tape it or somehting...

They said "we will see what we can do"

I am scared

MACTIKI

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RAVMAN said:
FWIW... here's the official TSB for the FJC front license plate install --> http://www.fjcruiserlife.com/tsb/2007/front_license_plate_installation.pdf
Yeah, self-tapping screws. There's cutting edge design for you (pun intended!).

At least there are dimples.

Step 3. Bend licence plate as necessary to wrap around bumper.
Step 4. Secure with bungee cords.

Finally, I will only allow the dealer licence plate frames if I buy at or below MSRP. (And even then only until I can get home and rip 'em back off!)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I arrived at the dealership just in time to stop the detailer from installing the front license plate. So my bumper is free of self-tapping screws and the mess that the plate would have created. My ARB will be here in a few weeks (hopefully) and I will install my plate after I get my first ticket.

·
Registered
722 Posts
sbechtold said:
I arrived at the dealership just in time to stop the detailer from installing the front license plate. So my bumper is free of self-tapping screws and the mess that the plate would have created. My ARB will be here in a few weeks (hopefully) and I will install my plate after I get my first ticket.
Dude.... You and I are connected some how... I swear I reminded my dealer like 20 times not install a front plate, I to have a ARB on order, the only difference after my first ticket ill duck tape a plate on get it signed off and take it off.... I hate thoes damm things!!!

MACTIKI

·
Registered
116 Posts
JohnGalt said:
I kind of can, actually.

JustFred is right. Here in LA, especially around the airport, you run a HIGH risk of being pulled over w/o a front plate. And my daily commute goes right by there. So, unfortunately, I have to keep a front plate on my Porsche 911 targa, or they'll pull me over just to have a look-see into the car. Happened once and the guy wanted to 'check my registration'. I told him I was probably the only porsche in LA WITH a front plate - he agreed & couldn't believe I actually put it on. I replied with, yeah and you pulled me over to look. He said 'yeah', and 'have a nice day'. We both laughed but had I not had the plate, I'd have left with a ticket.
I've never had a problem ever in So Cal, none of my vehicles have ever had a front plate. Not even holes in the front bumper...cop must have been using it as an excuse to see something else maybe?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts