Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I would love to have a fr locker instead of an A-trac. Although the A-trc savd me many times, still like to have the fact of having both a fr and rr locker, also in with the center locker.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes please! One front locker and then the FJC would be truly better in ALL regards to the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The front Disco does nothing for me.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been told in other places that a front locker w/IFS can cause problems because IFS CV joints are not strong enough to contain one without eventually breaking, unless you only use it going straight. Perhaps this is why we have no front locker.

solution- SFA! Please Toyota? Please!?????? :sex:

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I had the ARB front & rear lockers installed and still have yet to use the fronts. The reason is this: the FJ Cruiser weight distribution is roughly 60/40 (front/back from midway point). There is enough weight on the rear axle to get through obstacles with relative ease.

I'll post if I break an axle. :worried:

M

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I had the ARB front & rear lockers installed and still have yet to use the fronts. The reason is this: the FJ Cruiser weight distribution is roughly 60/40 (front/back from midway point). There is enough weight on the rear axle to get through obstacles with relative ease.

I'll post if I break an axle. :worried:

M

I had a front locker for over ten years in my 94 landcruiser, and never used it. Eventually if I ever re gear I'll add the locker just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I've been told in other places that a front locker w/IFS can cause problems because IFS CV joints are not strong enough to contain one without eventually breaking, unless you only use it going straight. Perhaps this is why we have no front locker.

solution- SFA! Please Toyota? Please!?????? :sex:

This is exactly why toyota, and nearly every other manufactur offers rear, but no front locking diff. This is why you see systems like toyotas ATRAC to help giv the front end some kind of extra bite, without fulling locking up the front in an attempt to save parts/warranty claims.

The new Hummer H3 truck has IFS and will have locking front diffs. It will be interesting to see how these pan out. If they are sucessfull, then i imagine you'll be seeing Toyota ,Nissan, ford and others coming out with the same option in the near future.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
This is exactly why toyota, and nearly every other manufactur offers rear, but no front locking diff. This is why you see systems like toyotas ATRAC to help giv the front end some kind of extra bite, without fulling locking up the front in an attempt to save parts/warranty claims.

The new Hummer H3 truck has IFS and will have locking front diffs. It will be interesting to see how these pan out. If they are sucessfull, then i imagine you'll be seeing Toyota ,Nissan, ford and others coming out with the same option in the near future.
I would think that Hummer would have to protect themselves on this one somehow. Here are two options:
1. No warranty coverage for the front end. :)
2. Locker automatically disconnects when a certain amount of wheel angle is detected (or something similar)

Jeep's quadradrive is a great system that should work pretty well on IFS rigs, I would think...sort of a limited slip to locker type setup that constantly varies.

·
Registered
327 Posts
H3 had front locker with Adventure package. The problem with brake based systems is you have to have slip before it does anything.

Michael

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I love my front locker. If you like to climb rocks or ledges, you will get in a position where the back can push the front up on a tall ledge, but then most of the weight is on the rear and the front wheels can't get enough traction to pull the rest up. In this situation, the front locker is like an "easy" button. Works great when you are flexed out and crossed-up in off-camber situations too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts