Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I see large range of costs for lower control arms online from $75 to over $300 for OEM.

FYI - I only use my FJ as my daily driver.

I have one lower Cam bolt that is frozen and will like to fixed prior to my first front end alignment on my FJ after 160k miles on it. I have already anti-seized all the other cam bolts.

The existing lower control arms seems tight on the road. My thoughts are to get a lower control arm just in case I need it, cut the cam bolt, which I already ordered, install bilstein front shocks finally, on second notch, and then get a front end alignment.

My other thought is get a cheap lower control arm, install it, if needed, then repair my original lower control arm bushing and reinstall at a later date.

So which lower control arm should I get or recommend.

Thanks in advance!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
If you have the money and are okay with the price, order OEM LCAs. I just ordered for myself though Moog LCAs since ive heard lots of good things.

But your idea to only replace the bushing if the rest of the arm is fine is a good idea. Get as much use put of them as you can.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
My LCA bushings are aging as well, and without question I will rebuild them when the time comes - OE are great quality :rocker: Suggest you spend that money on new bushings (plus ball joints if needed) and be done with it :rocker:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have one lower Cam bolt that is frozen and will like to fixed prior to my first front end alignment on my FJ after 160k miles on it. I have already anti-seized all the other cam bolts.

The existing lower control arms seems tight on the road. My thoughts are to get a lower control arm just in case I need it, cut the cam bolt, which I already ordered, install bilstein front shocks finally, on second notch, and then get a front end alignment.

My other thought is get a cheap lower control arm, install it, if needed, then repair my original lower control arm bushing and reinstall at a later date.

So which lower control arm should I get or recommend.

Thanks in advance!
One thing to consider is that the bushings might be seized also, preventing you from rebuilding the LCAs when you get them out. Also, both LCAs are seeing the same environment so one may not be any better that the other. When you cut out the bolts you may have to also cut the bushings to get the LCA out, you cant always get to "just" the bolt with your saw. I just did both LCAs on my 07 and I bought 2 from RA in the middle of the price range. They seem to be very decent quality and I now have new bushings and new ball joints which were toast on both sides. I have a 20 ton shop press and even though I had all new stuff installed I decided to see what it would take to get the ball joint out of one LCA that I removed and it finally popped (loudly) at 15 tons! So you will need a shop press with at least that capacity.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I placed my order for parts as follows:
- Bilstein 5100 front shocks (will be set on 2nd notch for +1")
- Mevotech Passenger Side Control Arm - CMS86113, suppose to be better the OEM Grade
- Toyota Adjustment Cam 48409-60020
- 1/4" Driver Side Spacer

Hopefully I can get the frozen cam bolt out prior to cutting it out.
If I have to cut it out at least I have the replacement control arm.

I will let you know how it works out and take some photos.

George

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I bought the $70 A1A LCAs. So far they have been fine.

I had to cut out both of them in my case. ONLY use OEM cam bolts / adjusters. The aftermarket stuff is junk.

If you are putting stock springs on those 5100s you wont need the 1/4" spacer...the OEM driver spring has an extra coil to combat the lean. I would also highly suggest the 3rd notch for perfectly level stance...up to you though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the $70 A1A LCAs. So far they have been fine.

I had to cut out both of them in my case. ONLY use OEM cam bolts / adjusters. The aftermarket stuff is junk.

If you are putting stock springs on those 5100s you wont need the 1/4" spacer...the OEM driver spring has an extra coil to combat the lean. I would also highly suggest the 3rd notch for perfectly level stance...up to you though.
I believe we all have a slight lean on the driver side. Per my measurement I am 1/2" between the front right and left side, that is where the 1/4" spacer will make up the difference. I hear you on the 3rd notch but I am going to the 2nd notch which will make a 1/2" difference front to rear rake.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do a search on the mevotech but I read people had premature failures on those. Maybe things have changed? If you still decide to try them, hope they work out. Good luck with the new parts!
I have been searching though all the Toyota FJ, 4runner and Tacoma forms and I have seen the good, bad and the ugly comments on every aftermarket manufacture of control arms with the exception on OEM. I believe Mevotch is the only one that carries two grade of parts, one OEM standard and one above OEM standards. Hopefully that mean better bushings and ball joints! We shall see, if not I will have my rebuilt original OEM Lower control arms with Toyota parts just in case of failure.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I put a set of Mevotch lower control arms on about 23k miles ago.

** I thought the lower control arm bushings were causing a creaking-popping noise. Seems it was my skid plates.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys

Once I get all the parts I will create a new Thread and do a review of all the parts I will be using including photos when I rebuild my front end.

This is the list of parts I will be installing prior to getting a front end alignment. This will be my first front end alignment at around 165,000 on my FJ since new:
- Bilstein 5100 front shocks, will be set on 2nd notch, approximate 1" lift.
- Mecotech Supreme lower control arms, right and left.
- 1/4" Strut Spacer on Driver Side to fix the typical lean.
- One Toyota Cam Bolt replacement due being frozen on passenger side.

George

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Well I placed my order for parts as follows:

- Mevotech Passenger Side Control Arm - CMS86113, suppose to be better the OEM Grade
I think you made a good decision. I think I´ll order the same ones in the future. There is a little vertical play in my left UCA ball joint when jacked below the LCA, but 0.5 mm is allowed regarding to the FJ repair manual.

At what point you are changing the LCA ball joint/whole LCA?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you made a good decision. I think I´ll order the same ones in the future. There is a little vertical play in my left UCA ball joint when jacked below the LCA, but 0.5 mm is allowed regarding to the FJ repair manual.

At what point you are changing the LCA ball joint/whole LCA?
I am actually going to replace both lower control arms. The only reason why I am replacing them is one due to one frozen cam bolt and also the 165,000 miles I have on my FJ. I rather do it right and not cheap! Also this is my daily driver so I am replacing the both whole lower control arms. I was under the weather this weekend so I did not get a chance to do it, I will have it done early in November. I will take photos while I doing the work but I will start a new thread.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I replaced both my front LCAs with Moog LCAs from rock auto about 1 1/2 years ago. They are holding up great. They also have zerks to grease the cam bolts so they don`t rust up solid. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts