Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Lots of good advice here...btw...get a long 10mm hex wrench and you'll have enough leverage. Also a tap hammer, tap 15 times lightly on the bolt...also spray it with PB Blast and let it set for 30 minutes...it's a fun job to change all the fluids...
Not clear what spraying the exterior of either drain or fill plugs might accomplish ...
a) The copper washer seal is outboard of the threads, so there is no way that any externally-applied lubricant will get past the seal and do anything useful.
b) Being submerged in gear oil for years, the threads are already well lubricated, and it's only the tension in the threads of the tightly-torqued plugs that makes the plugs so difficult to remove, at least the first time.

Rapping sharply on the head of the plugs multiple times with a medium-sized hammer is the only way I've found to ease removal of some of these plugs (first removal after original factory installation).

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
A different question from this message chain.

Are you asking about tap and die sets? Have you used tap and dies before? A respectful question which, depending on the response, would direct the answer to your question. Note that in this modern world I would guess that a small percentage have cleaned threads and certainly not completely rethreaded.
Gosh, I'd have thought that just about every guy who took a high-school machine-shop or auto mechanics class knows exactly what taps and dies are and how to use them.

If you want a challenge, try hand-tapping (or even just chasing threads) in titanium, with M2 or even M1.6 taps. THAT takes a steady hand, with those tiny taps being through-hardened and brittle as a glass rod.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Approximate 6 quartz ..Get a good FULL SYNTHETIC...
Amsoil..etc
Fairly easy and definitely rewarding...
Tucson, Arizona
Amsoil has been proven to be even better than Royal Purple. And I have Royal Purple in everything right now. Next time it will be Amsoil. But it makes only a small difference. Comes down to viscosity and startups, especially after the fluids age. There's a guy on YouTube. He's the biggest nerd in the world. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
PLEASE sir, share photos of solutions...I'm going to have to tap a lot...I've replaced some bolts, I'm batting .500 on that work! I need to know what taps and NEW BOLTS to get...
Sorry about the 2 week delay in reply. Been busy being an expendable, er, uh, I mean essential employee...? lol. It seems I only ran into 2, maybe 3 different sizes tap-wise so far. Cleaning up the threads is pretty straightforward and PB Blaster makes it even easier. Then ya just get the corresponding bolt sizes at the hardware store. I've been sticking with stainless hardware where I can. I'm 90% certain the tap I've used most is a M8x1.25 for the skid plate mounting, and it might have been a M10x1.25 on the holes for the rock rails, but it's always good to have a set since ya never know what you're gonna encounter. HF set I got for $40 I think?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Worth checking out:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry about the 2 week delay in reply. Been busy being an expendable, er, uh, I mean essential employee...? lol. It seems I only ran into 2, maybe 3 different sizes tap-wise so far. Cleaning up the threads is pretty straightforward and PB Blaster makes it even easier. Then ya just get the corresponding bolt sizes at the hardware store. I've been sticking with stainless hardware where I can. I'm 90% certain the tap I've used most is a M8x1.25 for the skid plate mounting, and it might have been a M10x1.25 on the holes for the rock rails, but it's always good to have a set since ya never know what you're gonna encounter. HF set I got for $40 I think?
Thank you. I bet I'm hosed because I drilled out the stuck screw. But we'll see. The other one is stripped...and rusted, flaking out its threads on the inside. It's a mess. But it's also a project. Thanks again!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts