Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I have a set sitting in my garage for close to 3 years now. Mine came from a company in Australia.

They don't work with my bumper so there they sit.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The springs on those nuts are kind of weirding me out. That looks like a lot of trouble. I think I'll stick with my Apex Overland front recovery points!
Those aren't springs, I have seen those before - they are just "sticks" so you can hold the nut a ways inside the frame rail or some other inaccessible location, and get the bolt to engage. They just bent the sticks for show for the photo I'm guessing, so they kind of look like springs.

·
Registered
879 Posts
...you can hold the nut a ways inside the frame rail or some other inaccessible location...
That explains my reluctance exactly. Some other inaccessible location!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
[shrug] your call. I have seen ARB use the same kind of sticknuts on some of their bumper installs. Not that radical a thing.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Yeah, they look to be a very similar design as others I've seen, these Road Runners in particular. However, the RoadRunners are steel, and those in the OP are aluminum.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
delete.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll be the Guinea Pig. Parts ordered :wink

I would be surprised if they were made of aluminum. That would be a deal breaker for me. Reported weight suggests steel.

WLL seems healthy enough.
I was thinking the same thing. The reported weight is high and the WLL is the same as steel :rocker:

Dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'll be the Guinea Pig. Parts ordered :wink

I was thinking the same thing. The reported weight is high and the WLL is the same as steel :rocker:

Dan
Please post up dates, I order a lot from Aliexpress, expect a 4 week wait

Has any one bumped the stock tow loop? Mine ground into a Moab ledge on Hells revenge. It was just a bad dip and my open bumper doesn't cover the loop. These and Apex overland points stick out a bit too far for my liking.
Pictures or it didnt happen

·
Premium Member
7,236 Posts
Has any one bumped the stock tow loop? Mine ground into a Moab ledge on Hells revenge. It was just a bad dip and my open bumper doesn't cover the loop. These and Apex overland points stick out a bit too far for my liking.
I bent one of my OE front ones back on Gold Bar Rim moab. Far enough the metal cracked. I ended up cutting it off.

I imagine while they stick out further, the aftermarket ones should be able to hold up to more abuse.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I would be surprised if they were made of aluminum. That would be a deal breaker for me. Reported weight suggests steel.

WLL seems healthy enough.
Well, either the stated WLL and weight is wrong, or the listed material is wrong. Either way, there's an error in the product description making these suspect. I really do hope they're quality!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a pair of these off Ebay in Australia last year......exactly the same, except they are painted orange not blue. Same spec with regard to the WLL, but they are definitely not aluminium, they are steel, which I suspect is the case for these AliExpress ones too. If they are not steel, I wouldn't touch them personally.

They are not the easiest things to fit, but it is doable if you have a bit of patience & are prepared to fiddle around a bit. As Serenity Now suggests, the wires on the nuts are not springs, they are for holding the nuts in place inside the chassis rails while you insert the bolt......yes, this is the fiddly bit!! Here's a tip though....use a couple of drops of super glue to hold the nut in place on the chassis once you have a few threads of the bolt into the nut. Then, if the wire snaps off the nut (as one of mine did), you can still tighten the bolt.

The other issue when fitting is that the washer water bottle gets in the way. Some people on the Australian FJ forum said that you need to remove the washer bottle to be able to insert one of the bolts, but I did manage to do it with the washer water bottle in place.....another fiddly bit!

The other thing to watch is your bull bar, if you have one. I have an Iron Man bull bar & I knew from the suppliers web site that they would fit with an Iron Man bar.

I have to say that I have not yet used the recovery points in anger......they have been used, but not aggressively. However, with a 3,250KG WLL, I am not overly concerned.....but make sure that the bolts supplied with the kit are high tensile bolts & if they are not, replace them with high tensile ones. Also though, like Sanderhawk, since fitting the recover points late last year, I have now fitted a 12,000LB winch, so I have another insurance policy!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IG5pdQEL0CsKzARUfdVLmOLToXZ3yOyK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j-oJvJVFyytS7Vb99oRll0iZ0LwbybZ7/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14VN4HdUH-qRsZavfmje7nlMHxecxywWl/view?usp=sharing

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 20 of 34 Posts