Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll be the Guinea Pig. Parts ordered :wink

I was thinking the same thing. The reported weight is high and the WLL is the same as steel :rocker:

Dan
Parts were delivered today! It's been just over a week :bigthumb:

As we suspected, they're steel. The're not stamped with the WLL as advertised, but I'm not worried about it. They're 1cm thick (~3/8").

Need to paint them red to make sure they work at their best before installation.

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
The wires things are to get the nuts up into the frame . I believe these come Blue because that is the most common color FJ that needs a pull . You will forget you even have them after you paint them Red .

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Parts were delivered today! It's been just over a week :bigthumb:

As we suspected, they're steel. The're not stamped with the WLL as advertised, but I'm not worried about it. They're 1cm thick (~3/8").

Need to paint them red to make sure they work at their best before installation.

Dan
Alright, I got these things installed. A couple of quick things to report:

- they’re steel (1cm thick), they’ll do the job if ever needed
- the hardware provided was crap. The bolts are not high strength and I’m pretty sure the nuts with the wires were the wrong thread. When I tried to screw the bolts in just to check fit, I could only go in a turn or two. I thought they might just be gummed up with paint, so I got a tap and ran it through. I’m pretty sure I cut all new threads, that was pretty tough.
- although the hardware was crap, I got lots of it; got six of everything. Only needed 2 nuts and 4 bolts, I used all the flat and lock washers though.
- no instructions :flame: had to figure it out from pics posted by @Paul N . Thanks! :bigthumb:

Overall, I would still recommend them as a lower cost alternative to stuff available from US vendors. However, plan to replace the screws and tap the nuts.

I’ll write up a full how-to with pics in another thread

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you sure those nuts werent "Lock" nuts, not "NyLock" nuts with the bit of Nylon in the end that keeps them from unscrewing but the style of lock nut that is sort of "squished a bit so it grabs the bolt better?

Alright, I got these things installed. A couple of quick things to report:

- they’re steel (1cm thick), they’ll do the job if ever needed
- the hardware provided was crap. The bolts are not high strength and I’m pretty sure the nuts with the wires were the wrong thread. When I tried to screw the bolts in just to check fit, I could only go in a turn or two. I thought they might just be gummed up with paint, so I got a tap and ran it through. I’m pretty sure I cut all new threads, that was pretty tough.
- although the hardware was crap, I got lots of it; got six of everything. Only needed 2 nuts and 4 bolts, I used all the flat and lock washers though.
- no instructions :flame: had to figure it out from pics posted by @Paul N . Thanks! :bigthumb:

Overall, I would still recommend them as a lower cost alternative to stuff available from US vendors. However, plan to replace the screws and tap the nuts.

I’ll write up a full how-to with pics in another thread

Dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Doubtful they were nylocks as welding them to the plates would ruin the nylon. Looking at these I rather like the mounting method to the side of the frame rather than the ones I have which also mount underneath at the sway bar mount requiring new longer bolts (in my case anyway as I have an additional plate there holding my Icon remote res).

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
I would be surprised if they were made of aluminum. That would be a deal breaker for me. Reported weight suggests steel.

WLL seems healthy enough.
They look like a direct copy of the RoadSafe recovery points from Australia.
I'm going to hazard a guess that the steel isn't the same grade, and that that WLL is no more than a stamp copied from the RoadSafe originals.

Having said that - if they're 10mm steel, they'll be stronger than the tiedown points if the bolts are replaced with rated high tensile bolts.
It'd be good to know the grade of steel though - a straight pull should be fine on them, but an angled pull - I hope they hold up...

Here's the Original units - $125AUD + shipping, minus sales tax.
https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/rp-pra150-hd-tow-point-toyota-prado-150-pair

Made from 12mm plate Steel
Using SS41 carbon steel plate (Q235)
Supplied with Hi Tensile Bolts.
Direct bolt on to your chassis
No cutting or welding required
Sold as a pair
Option of using a Bridle strap
Powder coated Yellow for Hi visibility
WLL Stamped to 3250kg each

I've had a set of RoadRunner/Roadsafe recovery points on the Fortuner for the last 7 years and they're as good as the day I bought them.
I've requested a shipped price to me in Dubai - should be similar to the US.

For 07-09 the 120 series Prado recovery points are what you need.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,236 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess that the steel isn't the same grade, and that that WLL is no more than a stamp copied from the RoadSafe originals.

Having said that - if they're steel, they'll be stronger than the tiedown points if the bolts are replaced with rated high tensile bolts.
The chinesium copies are not actually stamped and are reported to be approximately 10mm thick as opposed to the roadsafe 12mm thick. Roadrunner did the testing to get the WLL stamped on and China most likely just copied it in their description, saving R&D and machine costs. Roadsafe's steel is Q235 which is the Chinese version of US's A36. A36 is nuthin special at all in terms of steel grades its pretty much the baseline.

Roadsafe is $211 AUD or $146 USD shipped to US. Without shipping costs its only $78 USD.
Chinesium is $96 shipped because they ship hundreds of them over to the US at a time and have lower overhead.

Sorta kinda checks out from a mechanical engineer.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts

Having said that - if they're 10mm steel, they'll be stronger than the tiedown points if the bolts are replaced with rated high tensile bolts.
It'd be good to know the grade of steel though - a straight pull should be fine on them, but an angled pull - I hope they hold up...

Here's the Original units - $125AUD + shipping, minus sales tax.
https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/rp-pra150-hd-tow-point-toyota-prado-150-pair

Made from 12mm plate Steel
Using SS41 carbon steel plate (Q235)
Supplied with Hi Tensile Bolts.
Direct bolt on to your chassis
No cutting or welding required
Sold as a pair
Option of using a Bridle strap
Powder coated Yellow for Hi visibility
WLL Stamped to 3250kg each

I've had a set of RoadRunner/Roadsafe recovery points on the Fortuner for the last 7 years and they're as good as the day I bought them.
I've requested a shipped price to me in Dubai - should be similar to the US.

For 07-09 the 120 series Prado recovery points are what you need.
I checked the price to the US:

Shipping: 90AUD
Total excluding US import duties/taxes: $203AUD / $140USD

Yeah - I'd skip the fake units and go for the real McCoys considering they're cheaper as well...

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
The chinesium copies are not actually stamped and are reported to be approximately 10mm thick as opposed to the roadsafe 12mm thick. Roadrunner did the testing to get the WLL stamped on and China most likely just copied it in their description, saving R&D and machine costs. Roadsafe's steel is Q235 which is the Chinese version of US's A36. A36 is nuthin special at all in terms of steel grades its pretty much the baseline.

Roadsafe is $211 AUD or $146 USD shipped to US. Without shipping costs its only $78 USD.
Chinesium is $96 shipped because they ship hundreds of them over to the US at a time and have lower overhead.

Sorta kinda checks out from a mechanical engineer.
I'd still go for the originals for an extra $50
- Development costs
- Proper fitting hardware

For me here in the UAE, it makes zero sense for me to go for the Chinesium copies - I save $50 by buying the originals

·
Premium Member
7,236 Posts
Check the shipping again - the chinesium units are + shipping at about $90.
To you? For US buyers it says free 6 day shipping, making them cheaper than the roadrunner from Australia. For those living down under the roadrunners are most likely the better buy.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Yeah - I checked again and edited my post.
Your rear points are still the only option though ;-)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts