·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure some FJ's needed to use their front tow points to pull a Rubicon out of trouble :rofl:

Pat

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do these bolt into existing holes and do you need to remove anything to install or just bolt them on?

I am mechanically challenged so the just bolt on, torque and go is about the limit of my capabilities.

thanks
Pat

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Do these bolt into existing holes and do you need to remove anything to install or just bolt them on?

I am mechanically challenged so the just bolt on, torque and go is about the limit of my capabilities.

thanks
Pat
G'day Pat,
Yes, bolt on n go... don't need to remove anything....
from memory, they use existing frame nuts and a third bolt n nut going thru a hole in the frame...so no drilling or cutting etc
The third bolt is a bit fiddly, the nut is welded onto a rod and you have to stick in into the frame and line it up with the hole n bolt....
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not sure. Anybody ever had to have their FJ pulled out of anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
One time out of a 3.5ft deep mud hole I got stuck in. Bro in a Bronco yanked me out. I swear that puddle wasn't that deep when I went through it the first time that day

·
Registered
232 Posts
I didn't want or really need a large front bumper, but I did want the ability to add a winch later and front recovery points. Ordered a metaltech strongman winch mount bumper insert during the group buy a few months back and couldn't have been happier. Not as expensive/elaborate as a full front bumper, but a good upgrade over stock while essentially retaining the stock looks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive had great luck with the CURT front receiver hitch, no mods to the truck and very useful, I've fabbed a step for reaching into the engine bay, I put my bicycle rack in it when towing the trailers, used it with a hitch to nose my trailer into some very tight spots, and you can get a bunch of different recovery inserts and winch mounts. with a long enough batt cables you can switch the winch from front to rear, much more versatile than a permanent mount winch. A fishing pole rack may be next

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-31367-Class-III-Mount-Receiver-Hitch-Fits-07-14-4Runner-FJ-Cruiser/401577429218?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=897c9991bcc24c72beb2886a70ad3c23&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=292691586190&itm=401577429218&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:fb96ebef-a601-11e8-9f4f-74dbd180fad8|parentrq:617b7ed01650aad096af4438fffe4ac0|iid:1

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any Pictures?
How bad does it kill approach angles?

Ive had great luck with the CURT front receiver hitch, no mods to the truck and very useful, I've fabbed a step for reaching into the engine bay, I put my bicycle rack in it when towing the trailers, used it with a hitch to nose my trailer into some very tight spots, and you can get a bunch of different recovery inserts and winch mounts. with a long enough batt cables you can switch the winch from front to rear, much more versatile than a permanent mount winch. A fishing pole rack may be next

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-31367-Class-III-Mount-Receiver-Hitch-Fits-07-14-4Runner-FJ-Cruiser/401577429218?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=897c9991bcc24c72beb2886a70ad3c23&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=292691586190&itm=401577429218&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:fb96ebef-a601-11e8-9f4f-74dbd180fad8|parentrq:617b7ed01650aad096af4438fffe4ac0|iid:1

·
Registered
25 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the picture
thats actually a great idea and doesnt hurt approach "too much"
But I'm in Utah and frequent Moab monthly, so I value approach & exit angles a little bit more.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
US offroad winch mount has shackle mounts (and a place for a winch!!). Plus they are in the best spot possible compared to all those other frame mounts - if you are down in something getting up under the bumper might suck.

·
Desert Moderator
6,022 Posts
G'day,
If you google
FJ Cruiser front recovery points
You'll have lots of options, like this
https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/rp-pra150-hd-tow-point-toyota-prado-150-pair

and reasonably price too, compared to ARB prices - for the same thing....

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
The Roadrunner recovery points are great. I put a set on the back of the Fortuner (just a crappy tie down out of the factory) they've been on there 5 years now and they've done their fair share of dragging other vehicles out of various predicaments - even the powdercoat is holding up pretty well on them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I thought I would try the Apex.
I received the shipment today and the end of the package was blown out.
The tow points were still there.
The bolt package had been torn open and taped back together.
No installation instructions.

I sent a note to Apex and would imagine that I will get an update tomorrow,

The points look adequate I just need to confirm that everything shipped made it to my location.

More to come.

Pat

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No installation instructions or videos yet for the Apex tow point.

It appears that you need to remove the bolts from the front sway bar hold downs on the frame then slide the 1/4" thick plate underneath the sway bar clamp.

Does this change anything as in should I take it in and get it realigned or ?????
What will the effect be of a 1/4" spacer under the sway bar where it goes over the frame?

I used a sanding drum on my dremel to round the hole to accept soft shackles.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
No installation instructions or videos yet for the Apex tow point.

It appears that you need to remove the bolts from the front sway bar hold downs on the frame then slide the 1/4" thick plate underneath the sway bar clamp.

Does this change anything as in should I take it in and get it realigned or ?????
What will the effect be of a 1/4" spacer under the sway bar where it goes over the frame?

I used a sanding drum on my dremel to round the hole to accept soft shackles.
No need for an alignment. And some of the lift kits come with a 1/2" or so relocation bracket for the sway bar so I imagine it's fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts