Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I’m new here and if I have posted in the wrong place, please redirect me.

2007 FJ w/144,000 miles on the OD and I finally had an issue with it. I love saying that, this has been the best of anything I have ever owned from Ducati to Ford.

So I’m looking under the FJ and noticed the clamp was broken on the boot of the CV axle on the passengers side. There had also been considerable leakage of grease as the farm was covered but wasn’t sure because a little liquid grease goes a long way. Replaced the clamp and about 1,000 miles or less later I noticed the front end kind of shuddering at low speeds but only some times. Kept it in the front of my mind and every time I drove it I waited for that feel. Any who the axle made a large popping noise yesterday and I think its on its way out.

So I’m looking at axles and am overwhelmed by they amount of companies that make them. Normally I go OEM but the best price I could find online OEM was $350.00 which is $200.00 cheaper than the local stealership.

So on to my question: Has anybody used any axle beside the OEM and had luck with that axle OR should I pony up the cash and go with the OEM. I’m going to replace it myself.

Thanks in advance. I’ve been using this site for years but finally decided to join.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The boots on both my fronts failed around 90k-ish , I replaced them both with the Cardone Heavy duty axles from Rock Auto. ($67 ea) They have been fine for 30k so far. As far as I can tell they are identical to the OEMs(maybe even re-manufactured?), except the thermoplastic boots are way better than the stock rubber ones. You should keep your stock ones and rebuild them yourself for spares. It's super easy, and pretty cheap. Here's a link to the ones I got.

CARDONE 665235HD
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...441491,drivetrain,cv+half+shaft+assembly,2288

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Another option is CVJ axles - they rebuild OE axles and give you back a core charge on your broken one. Very pleased with price, quality and speed of shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the reply. I thought there must be a cheaper option.

On a different note, how do you turn on notifications, I wasn’t notified that someone replied to my post?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
At the top click "Thread tools", then "Subscribe to this thread"

You can change your notification preferences in the User Control Panel settings.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just my $0.02, but I tried the Cardone CV from Rockauto, and I had issues with it binding at full droop. My FJ has a 3in lift so that might be the reason. I even installed the diff drop kit and it was still binding. I eventually rebuilt both of the OEM axles and kept the Cardone as a trail spare.

You can get the rebuild kit here: https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_1021&products_id=4824

There are many good videos on YouTube that can show you how to rebuild them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just my $0.02, but I tried the Cardone CV from Rockauto, and I had issues with it binding at full droop. My FJ has a 3in lift so that might be the reason. I even installed the diff drop kit and it was still binding. I eventually rebuilt both of the OEM axles and kept the Cardone as a trail spare.

You can get the rebuild kit here: https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_1021&products_id=4824

There are many good videos on YouTube that can show you how to rebuild them.
I like that idea, what all is in the kit?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, I’m new here and if I have posted in the wrong place, please redirect me.

2007 FJ w/144,000 miles on the OD and I finally had an issue with it. I love saying that, this has been the best of anything I have ever owned from Ducati to Ford.

So I’m looking under the FJ and noticed the clamp was broken on the boot of the CV axle on the passengers side. There had also been considerable leakage of grease as the farm was covered but wasn’t sure because a little liquid grease goes a long way. Replaced the clamp and about 1,000 miles or less later I noticed the front end kind of shuddering at low speeds but only some times. Kept it in the front of my mind and every time I drove it I waited for that feel. Any who the axle made a large popping noise yesterday and I think its on its way out.

So I’m looking at axles and am overwhelmed by they amount of companies that make them. Normally I go OEM but the best price I could find online OEM was $350.00 which is $200.00 cheaper than the local stealership.

So on to my question: Has anybody used any axle beside the OEM and had luck with that axle OR should I pony up the cash and go with the OEM. I’m going to replace it myself.

Thanks in advance. I’ve been using this site for years but finally decided to join.
My boots were leaking so I decided to buy CVJ axles with the extended boots. I haven't installed them yet since I was able to save my current axles by simply reclamping the boots. My friend has a Tacoma w/ the CVJ axles and he swears by them; his truck is lifted and wheels his truck hard.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I'd be a little skeptical about rebuilding the axle with the loss of grease, as operating it with little or no grease could have damaged it, especially if the shuddering is being caused by this axle joint. If you pull the boot off and find little or no grease or worse water, dirt or grime inside I would replace the shaft. I was able to rebuild mine and I carry an aftermarket for a trail spare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts