Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any opinions on the Front Runner roof racks? I was planning on going with the Baja Rack low profile with the mesh flooring as I plan to load it up with lots of camping gear, etc, and it seemed the most versatile, but ran across this one below that seems pretty neat. Has a LOT of accessories, fairly modular, etc. I dont see much about it on this forum, any thoughts on it?

Front Runner Vehicle Outfitters FRONT RUNNER 2M SLIMLINE II FULL / FJ CRUISER KIT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I would go the flat utility rack as the sides make me feel more comfortable for strapping in misc camp gear. I also like the look of having sides much better. The front runner has some bolt on side corners that would help meet that need though, if we went that route. After some further digging, was hoping to get some clarity on something. The Gobi Stealth has the cross members that look pretty useful for things like bikes/skis/etc, but wondering if those are permanently welded in there or are the removable/adjustable? Seems like that maybe a hinderance if I needed to haul something large as this vehicle was our "truck + car" compromise :) For instance, a large box, say a water heater or something crazy like that that comes up in life that having a larger flat area I can load it up and strap down to get across town would be very beneficial whereas if those cross bars are there you are limited to much smaller cargo. Is that the case on the Gobi? If so, i'm back to looking at the baja rack low profile full mesh flooring model vs the front runner with bolt on corners.

Thanks,
JD

·
A-Team Moderator
9,470 Posts
Did you know the Gobi is curved and follows the roof line? It also leaks out onto the roof and causes rust from the holes that are drilled in the round bar for light wiring. There's a few threads on here about it. Guys were having rust stain problems on their white roofs. FR is aluminum and does not rust, which is why I like it living near the ocean.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a Front Runner Slimline II on my FJ and find it to be the best. It is stronger than a Baja Rack, rated at 660 lbs. It has a slight lip around the edge so stuff can't just slide off. The floor panels are adjustable so you can customize the floor however you want. I run a CVT RTT on it with the Quick dismount setup and it takes me literally less than 5 min to put the tent on and or remove it, including bolting it down. My Ironman 4x4 awning bolted right to it like it was made from Front Runner. It is super sturdy and the Hi Lift Jack Mount and Shower Arm are awesome add ons. It is also very quiet, much quieter than the stock Roof Rack. The wind deflector comes with it and is very effective. Can't wait to put a 40" LED Light Bar from Rigid on it.
Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I really like the utility/adjustability of the frontrunner rack. The only thing I'm not sold on is it's length & appearance. Seems a bit short and the square tubes just don't do it for me. That being said, I'm strongly considering it for my next rack...

...since I can't get an Inti

·
Banned
497 Posts
I love the FR rack. IMHO, it is the BEST addition to the FJ I have made.

The Gobi Stealth is stupid! How much use can you REALLY get out of that rack?! Since the Gobi foloows the roof line, the rear drops down at an angle making the rear basically useless. Plus the Gobi is steel: heavy and rusts. Oh, and the Gobi costs an arm and a leg.

The FR slates allow for the PERFECT fit of ANYTHING you put up there. You can add more slates if you want to hold more weight too. The Hi-Lift mount is THE BEST (hands-down) mount on the market! I use the hi-lift as a holding point when climbing up on the roof.

FR offers free shipping on the rack! Their customer service is top-notch! Front Runner also provides TONS of accessories to fit ANY wish.

If you want looks get a Gobi.

If you want high-functioning at a better value get a Front Runner Slimline II.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lookin' good Boise! :cheers: I rec'd an email quote for S&H @ $262. Which is great considering my location.
Thanks Hannibal, Yes normally it is free shipping, but you must be pretty remote. You won't be disappointed. I would drive it up to you and deliver it. That would be a great overland expedition. LOL !!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, I took the plunge and ordered the Front Runner. The fact there's so many accessories, add on side rails and can be flat if needed for large home depot trips plus they are pretty local to me in burbank sealed the deal. I'll report back my thoughts once i get it in a couple days.

While we are talking about it though, what accessories have you guys used and find to be the most useful? They have so many you could spend a fortune on them, so I want to be very strategic :) My main uses are camping, storage of camp boxes, ice chest, tent, sleeping bags, cots, shovel/ax, maybe bike if its easy/cheap enough for my mountain bike(s).

Thanks all,
JD

·
A-Team Moderator
9,470 Posts
JD, Congrats! Did you order track or feet mounts?

Boise, thanks for the offer and yes, I'm very remote. It has to be flown in.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My Gobi Ranger Rack has never rusted, I have put lots gear up there and lugged it across the country, on and off road. It s a very capable rack and very good product.

The strength of the Frontrunner over any other rack out there is the modularity and expandability. You can customize to what you need or do not need.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts