Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the front speakers (non-fjammer) wired in series or parallel? My stock config consists of the 2 door speakers, 2 in-dash speakers, and the head-liner speaker.

I wired my new door speakers with Monster speaker wire and was thinking....should I take advantage of those in-dash speakers/tweeters and utilize them as well?

If I do, I would need to know how they were wired if I want to cheat and use the current feeds to those speakers. It would suck if they were parallel.

Oh wait, how is that damn head-liner speaker wired? :lol:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Pre-2011 wiring diagram is attached. I found it here on the forum somewhere. 2011 is not the same.

It's worth using the dash locations IMHO if you are willing to spend the time removing the old speakers, sealing the bizarre-shaped holes, and mounting a good pair of 3-1/2" coaxials in the dash. Ideally, they would be matched to the door speakers. There are several sections about the dash locations, with pics, in http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html.

-FJ Florida-

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fJ Florida,

Thanks man. I'll check out the document! I saw your thread for your 3 1/2's. I'd like to do something like that for sure.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I swear FJ FLORIDA You must Fart BASS and speak tweeter. lol
OMG that's funny! I don't like bass because I hate fresh water fish, and I keep the tweeters in cages because they make a mess everywhere if I don't :lol:.

I've been at this audio thing since before the CD was invented. Worst invention ever IMHO. Self-appointed audio nazi here.

A little audiophile and a lot of physics is a dangerous thing!

Seriously, I wish some members could hear what a moderately upgraded factory system can do on a budget. It's not going to win any competition prizes, but it ain't bad either.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
FJ Florida, I totally agree. You can make a significant difference with very little. :)

I am going to reference your thread to get the dash speakers installed.

This is so weird to get back into this stuff. It's been a looooong time! ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FJ Florida - It appears that the front group of speakers are in series.....do you agree?

·
Registered
627 Posts
No, the dash and door speakers should be in parallel as I read the diagram, ie (+) to (+) and (-) to (-). They also are in parallel in the 2011 base 6 speaker system, but not in the 2011 JBL upgrade audio system, which has a LAN-based amplifier driving the speakers instead of the head end unit as in previous years.

Page 2 shows the parallel connection pre-2011.

-FJ Florida-

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bummer, I was hoping they were in series. I will have to look to see if my amp is 2 ohm stable. If it is, I am in luck. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Both of my 2 front door speakers have stopped working at the same time; if one went bad would that affect the other? I replaced the head unit and same problem?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
No, the dash and door speakers should be in parallel as I read the diagram, ie (+) to (+) and (-) to (-). They also are in parallel in the 2011 base 6 speaker system, but not in the 2011 JBL upgrade audio system, which has a LAN-based amplifier driving the speakers instead of the head end unit as in previous years.

Page 2 shows the parallel connection pre-2011.

-FJ Florida-
florida,

In a JBL system, if you remove the amp, will the speaker stop working or work at a reduced output?

·
Registered
295 Posts
florida,
In a JBL system, if you remove the amp, will the speaker stop working or work at a reduced output?
If you remove the amplifier from a FJ JBL system, you will have silence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts