Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Front suspension

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Justkelvin 
#1 ·
Guys,

I’m looking into replacing my suspension with either Toytec or Bilstein 5100 series coil overs. Any advice on witch is better, or about the same?

#6 ·
I picked up the fronts about a month ago. I have been waiting on backordered Toyota front CV Axles to come in. I finally got the CV Axles today. I decided to pick up the Bilstein 5100s for the rear. I went by Boost Project and got the rears, $185 or so for the pair, including tax. Very pleasant people to work with. I also should also give a thumbs up to the people at Larry H. Miller Toyota in Lemon Grove (San Diego) their online parts department is amazing. About the best prices in the Country for OEM parts. I picked up the Toyota remanufactured CV Axles for $88 each. I have purchased lots of parts for our Tundra, a couple of FJs and several 4Runners. They have earned a 10!

Phil

#13 ·
I wonder what "remanufactured" consists of, in this case?
Perhaps they just check them over real good, and install new grease and boots ($40 per side) and a lick of paint?
Typically that is all the axles need anyway, to keep on going for many more miles.

It would be great to get a really good look at them. FJLJ, can you post some photos? Especially if you can get some side x side with your originals (looking for marking to indicate they are true Toyota parts and not something copied in China).

#16 ·
I've had one front strut leaking for over two years and still worked fine but thought it was time to replace it and did so replacing both front stuts last week. Since I'm not lifting my FJ I went with the Bilstein B6. I've noticed the ride/drive is different (mostly better) on gas struts compaired to the OEM oil filled driving on the street. Not been offroad yet. Replaced the lower arms (Moog) also as the bushings were going so I'm sure that has contributed to the difference. So far I like the Bilsteins.

Anyone have experience offroading with the B6 or B8s?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.